Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 12:15:36 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Is the Garlic Bread bit funny

Started by madhair60, August 30, 2019, 11:45:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

GARLIC BREAD? Garlic... bread?? Am I 'earin y'right? GARLIC? AND BREAD?

HAHAHAHAHAHA!
9 (18%)
Heh.
8 (16%)
Heard it mate.
5 (10%)
Ugh
0 (0%)
DIE NOW
7 (14%)
An tSaoi
5 (10%)
WHY HAVE YOU MADE SO MANY PETER KAY THREADS
16 (32%)

Total Members Voted: 50

Bennett Brauer

Thanks for the Bob Williamson story. He seems to have been of a kind with Billy Connolly, Jasper Carrott and Mike Harding. Same era. I don't know if it was lack of ambition or lack of breaks that held him back, because he was a likeable performer (and better looking than them!).

kalowski

Quote from: Bennett Brauer on September 07, 2019, 04:18:40 PM
Thanks for the Bob Williamson story. He seems to have been of a kind with Billy Connolly, Jasper Carrott and Mike Harding. Same era. I don't know if it was lack of ambition or lack of breaks that held him back, because he was a likeable performer (and better looking than them!).
My dad had Python's Matching Tie and Handkerchief on cassette, taped off a mate of his. At the end was Williamson singing "Holland's Meat Pies".
I used to love it (apart from a slightly dubious bit of racism where he gives the bus conductor an Indian accent.

Quote from: kalowski on September 07, 2019, 05:31:52 PM
My dad had Python's Matching Tie and Handkerchief on cassette, taped off a mate of his. At the end was Williamson singing "Holland's Meat Pies".
I used to love it (apart from a slightly dubious bit of racism where he gives the bus conductor an Indian accent.

Did that cassette have that thing on the vinyl recording, where you might get two different things playing from the same recording?

kalowski

Quote from: Phoenix Lazarus on September 07, 2019, 05:36:14 PM
Did that cassette have that thing on the vinyl recording, where you might get two different things playing from the same recording?
No. There were sketches on the LP I didn't hear for years.

McFlymo

Quote from: Tony Tony Tony on September 04, 2019, 01:20:14 PM
According to the Love Food website

British wariness of garlic, as characterised by Peter Kay's dad, and Mrs Beeton's remarks that "the smell of this plant was generally considered offensive," began to give way after food writer Elizabeth David popularised Mediterranean food in the mid 20th century. David's efforts were followed by the bistro food boom in 70s Britain, and was compounded by cheap package holidays which exposed millions of Brits to garlic and other southern European delights.

Many of us had our first taste of garlic bread at a chain like Pizza Hut or Pizza Express in the 80s or 90s, the latter offering the arguably posher garlic 'dough balls'.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8KgRLLPOHq8

Replies From View

Garlic bread is one of those things you used to be able to buy in pharmacies before they turned into vilified vending machines.

purlieu

Knowing old blokes whose taste in food really does go against the idea of anything foreign (garlic is a no-no, despite it growing wild in the UK), I'm very familiar with the type. I still don't find the routine especially funny, though. 'Cheese? Cake?' is a better joke in its own right.

My problem with Peter Kay has always been that, whenever I watch his stand-up, I end up sighing because half of the jokes are observations I've made myself. My dad and I pretty much did the 'dad run' routine - only in context of my mum doing it - when I was about 12. And that isn't remotely an attempt to big myself up: my perspective has always been that, as someone not funny enough to be a comedian, I should never watch routines that I've come up with myself.

Replies From View

Bubble?  Gum?

Haha

Deck?  Chair?

Haha

It's just separating compound words and adding question marks.  Anyone who laughs is being taken in by the rhythm and the funny faces I'm guessing.

Twed

I'm not saying it is a good bit but it is obviously more than just the cadence of the words. It's about an old man's disgust at foreign things, things so mundane that you get them for a quid in Asda.

This is just like pretending that Andy Dawson saying "Do you think U2 are still stuck in a moment they can't get out of?" is about the joke itself and not the annoying repetition of it. It's not good, but we don't need to pretend not to understand it to criticise it.