Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 20, 2024, 04:42:03 AM

Login with username, password and session length

empathising with characters who look like you

Started by PlanktonSideburns, August 30, 2019, 06:53:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PlanktonSideburns

Really enjoying bill tench in mind hunter, partially because of a good character acted well, partially because as time and gravity plays it's cruel game on me, I'm begging to look a bit like him - going from being an amphetamine thinned young person to a husky, burnt out looking kind of sod, and I think part of the joy of watching this bloke is he he comfortable in his shape - where I am still learning to deal with this weird new shape I'm becoming.

Anyone else had a heightened experience of watching a character because of their resemblance to yourself? Either physical or just in style or whatever. I don't look like that bloke, I just increasingly feel like how he looks

mothman

bgmnts

Probably why I like so many Chris Farley films.

Shaky

This is why I liked sad, middle-aged, lovelorn, overweight Spider-Man in Spiderverse. A very clever move on their part. See also: sad, middle-aged, lovelorn, overweight Thor in Endgame.

I basically feel like a gone-to-seed superhero these days.

Epic Bisto

Vigo just wanted company.  He must have been really twiddling his thumbs for 400 years.

Dr Rock

Wolverine in X-Men 2, because he was trying to figure out his past, as I was at the time.

Then later, Logan when he is dealing with constant pain, as I am.

Puce Moment

That ginger student in Fame who watches his actor girlfriend kissing the charming student for just a little too long during a rehearsal scene.

Inspector Norse

Probably why I like so many Sam, The Ugliest Dog In The World films.

samadriel

I look nothing like him, but I really liked the way Walter White generally didn't need to look "cool" to pull off stuff like shooting a drug dealer, he was just a plain scruffy fellow built and dressed like my dad, it was primarily his smarts that made him scary. That marvellous lack of looking cool has given me some comfort in my own skin as I get older and increasingly deplete my reserves of panache.

bgmnts

Quote from: samadriel on August 31, 2019, 03:15:27 PM
I look nothing like him, but I really liked the way Walter White generally didn't need to look "cool" to pull off stuff like shooting a drug dealer, he was just a plain scruffy fellow built and dressed like my dad, it was primarily his smarts that made him scary. That marvellous lack of looking cool has given me some comfort in my own skin as I get older and increasingly deplete my reserves of panache.

You mean the bloke in the ridiculous pork pie hat and shades?

samadriel

Hence "generally". He wasn't actually in his famous hat and shades very much at all.

Small Man Big Horse

A young, dashing SMBH.

Ricky from Better Off Dead.

Always felt a real kinship for that Dirk Diggler bloke.

Tikwid

I shan't go into the specifics of comfort characters, kintypes, fictives and the like here - mainly because they operate at such an absolutely vast distance from the alopecic Mockney world of CaB - but rest assured this is a phenomenon that has occured to me many many many times, and when combined with relatable personality traits or experiences it makes for deeply enjoyable and meaningful media consumption. Hooray for screens as coping mechanisms!