Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 10:11:50 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Linux on a phone?

Started by PlanktonSideburns, August 30, 2019, 08:46:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PlanktonSideburns

Anyone here use Linux ad their phone operating system? Is such a thug possible?  What's I like?

Twed

All Android phones run on the Linux kernel, but that's arguably not "Linux".

There are some actual Linux phones. It's definitely a hobbyist thing though.

Sebastian Cobb

Ubuntu have a phone project, not tried it though.

Maemo was a fairly pure version of linux as well.

As Twed says it's probably a hobbyist thing, I reckon the middle ground is probably things like Lineage Os, which is an Android variant, which is linux, but you don't have to install any of the google services if you don't want to, simply because of the amount of developer support going for it.

PlanktonSideburns

Non Google services android sounds a good shout, will give that a go

Shame it's not as simple as just installing phonebuntu and away you go like computers

Twed

I think the issues are mainly that Android and IOS are very heavily optimised and designed for phone hardware, so real OSes are slow, clunky and power-hungry in comparison.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: Twed on August 30, 2019, 09:01:25 PM
I think the issues are mainly that Android and IOS are very heavily optimised and designed for phone hardware, so real OSes are slow, clunky and power-hungry in comparison.

I think usability from a pure touchscreen point of view is often as big an issue as resources. You can remove the latter by using a tablet to remotely access a 'proper' computer (lets assume the thin client implements things properly) and it's still usually an awful experience.