Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 11:15:30 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Funniest Non-Comedians?

Started by MortSahlFan, August 31, 2019, 12:45:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

boxmatt

Artist / Illustrator Mr. Bingo cracks me up.

He does great talks as well https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ht66pDl36oo

zomgmouse

If we're talking funny artists you can't go past the Shrigmeister himself David Shrigley

but then I suppose that opens up the doors to anyone who produces any funny visual art including comics etc

Jockice

Quote from: Small Man Big Horse on September 09, 2019, 03:39:23 PM
I used to find Jarvis funny and once would have nominated him for the thread, but now he just makes me cringe a fair bit.

I know what you mean there. Bit hard to explain why though.

Captain Crunch

Yes there's a fine line between charming and creepy.

No love for any of the Drag Race lot? Latrice was always my favourite but what about that one who said "I can't believe she stabbed me in the back. To my face!" Might be misquoting but a lot of them are very funny.

cacciaguida

James Richardson? Occasionally very funny indeed with his wordplay, but perhaps it's more that he's just incredibly affable. Not sure.

Sebastian Cobb

Patrick Stewart always seems game for a laugh often at his expense.

Father John Misty, Stephen Malkmus, Bjork.

Tony Yeboah

Quote from: cacciaguida on May 06, 2020, 05:48:09 PM
James Richardson? Occasionally very funny indeed with his wordplay, but perhaps it's more that he's just incredibly affable. Not sure.
Good shout

Quote from: Ballad of Ballard Berkley on September 05, 2019, 10:34:17 PM
I know Ringo is in the deathly throes of alcoholism there, and there's nothing funny about that, but he's definitely the Beatle whose company I would've enjoyed most (just as long as I was drunk too). Even when pissed off his head in a rather embarrassing way, he still managed to come across as funny and likeable.

Thanks to this thread, I've just watched this interview and concur that Ringo seems to be an absolutely top bloke, even if he is out of his gourd.

kalowski

Quote from: Ballad of Ballard Berkley on August 31, 2019, 09:14:56 PM
Which reminds me, Tom Waits is a hoot. His stage patter and talk show appearances are essentially stand-up bits.
This is who I came to post about. I notice I agree with Ballad of Ballard Berkley a lot. We should get a room.

Thomas

There are a few musicians who could've been stand-ups if they'd wandered in that direction. Bowie, for one, and - more currently alive - Noel Gallagher. He's the grumpiest centrist dad going, but always droll and witty. At this point he'd be doing 'PC gone mad' stuff, of course, but he always makes me laugh when he appears in non-musical scenarios (most recently Matt Morgan's new podcast).

Louis Theroux has rightly been mentioned. Yes, sir, he can boogie.

Sherman Krank

It's not well known but in certain circles Adolf Hitler was considered a master of the knock knock joke.

Quote from: Transcript from top level Reichstag meeting, April 1942
H: Goebbels, Goebbels... Klopf klopf.
G: Wer ist da, mein führer?
H: Gans unterbrechen.
G: Gans unter.....
H: SCHNAAAAAATTERN!

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: KidPresentable on May 06, 2020, 09:26:27 PM
Father John Misty, Stephen Malkmus, Bjork.

John Cooper Clarke
Kid Acne

msm

Yussef Dent

Quote from: cacciaguida on May 06, 2020, 05:48:09 PM

James Richardson with Elvis Costello as a half-time and very knowledgeable pundit for a layman in Serie A football (though sadly a Juve fan, the cheating bastards), AC Jimbo gets in Elvis Costello songs and lyric puns into the half time scores... Padova vs Roma "so far for Roma, American Without Tears" referring to Alexi Lalas is bloody superb, as is "an own goal for De Napoli, Accidents Will Happen."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3HQZnLqmqjM

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: msm on May 10, 2020, 02:13:42 AM
Jonathon Ross

Maybe in the 80s, but the man's been one of unfunniest, most irritating cunts for the past twenty years that the mere sight of his face makes me disturbingly angry.

rue the polywhirl

Quote from: msm on May 10, 2020, 02:13:42 AM
Jonathon Ross

Danny Baker

I'd say they're more comedic presenters that do 'stand up comedy bits' on what ever they're appearing one so I'd put them in the same boat as comedians. Also not funny.

Jockice

Quote from: Small Man Big Horse on May 10, 2020, 12:40:31 PM
Maybe in the 80s, but the man's been one of unfunniest, most irritating cunts for the past twenty years that the mere sight of his face makes me disturbingly angry.

I was an early adopter here. I couldn't bear him in the 80s either.

I like Danny Baker though.

Blue Jam

Quote from: Captain Crunch on September 12, 2019, 02:05:38 PM
No love for any of the Drag Race lot? Latrice was always my favourite

"GET THOSE NUTS AWAY FROM MAH FACE!"

Another Latrice fan here, but I'm not sure all the Drag Race lot count because some of the comedy queens arguably are comedians. I like Shangela too but she probably doesn't count. I was a big fan of Miss Vaaaaaanjie Mateo in season 11, I think she counts- not a comedian but she cracked me up ("Hey, get off Grindr honey").

I think Drag Race UK might be different. As judges  Alan Carr and Graham Norton noted, a lot of the US queens just aren't humorous at all and the comedy queens make a big thing of having comedy as their schtick, while the British queens are all funny. It's like comedy is just a minimum requirement for drag over here.

Do The Vivienne and Baga Chipz count?

https://youtu.be/PIWHaGrHPwM

Utter Shit

I believe the correct answer to this question, and indeed a topical one, is Miriam Margolyes.

Ryan Jarman from The Cribs is a very naturally funny guy.

Quote from: Utter Shit on May 10, 2020, 02:10:31 PM
I believe the correct answer to this question, and indeed a topical one, is Miriam Margolyes.

Excellent shout, such a champion. Ezra Koenig from Vampire Weekend I reckon is up there too.

king_tubby

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: king_tubby on May 10, 2020, 11:07:03 PM
What's he up to nowadays?

He had a new lp out not so long ago.

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

Danny Baker is an incredibly funny man, but he is sort of a comedian isn't he? A comedy writer, anyway. If you're not a naturally funny awards show host - I'm thinking Jonathan Ross, Chris Evans and Angus Deayton here - then Dan will knock up some good gags for you to deliver.

cacciaguida

Quote from: Yussef Dent on May 10, 2020, 05:30:25 AM
James Richardson with Elvis Costello as a half-time and very knowledgeable pundit for a layman in Serie A football (though sadly a Juve fan, the cheating bastards), AC Jimbo gets in Elvis Costello songs and lyric puns into the half time scores... Padova vs Roma "so far for Roma, American Without Tears" referring to Alexi Lalas is bloody superb, as is "an own goal for De Napoli, Accidents Will Happen."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3HQZnLqmqjM

Oliveira's Army another delight...