Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 08:36:17 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Shutter sounds on mirrorless digital cameras

Started by Replies From View, August 31, 2019, 05:01:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Replies From View

Is this entirely pointless?  I have a Canon EOS M with a shutter sound that I'm assuming is a sample being played through a speaker, yet I CANNOT TURN IT OFF for some reason.  I've googled how to turn it off but apparently not possible.  So stupid.

Replies From View

Quote from: peanutbutter on August 31, 2019, 05:11:02 PM
How're you finding Magic Lantern?

Just googled this and thanks.  I don't understand what I'll need to do, but it's good to know there is a way.

Endicott

Spoon of Ploff

Quote from: Replies From View on August 31, 2019, 05:01:07 PM
Is this entirely pointless?  I have a Canon EOS M with a shutter sound that I'm assuming is a sample being played through a speaker, yet I CANNOT TURN IT OFF for some reason.  I've googled how to turn it off but apparently not possible.  So stupid.

yes i can imagine it's a pain to have your prey subject alerted to the fact that there is a stalker perfectly legitimate person hiding in the bushes.. by the sound of a shutter being triggered.

Endicott

Been brushing up on shutters. Cameras can have both mechanical and electronic shutter, and a shutter is made of too curtains that move across the sensor. They have to move in the same direction to evenly expose the sensor. Cameras offer electronic first curtain to reduce the camera shake that you can get with a mechanical shutter.  But having both curtains electronic means you can get banding on the image under certain conditions (for example fluorescent lights) so the second curtain is usually by default mechanical. Electronic second curtain is offered on some cameras and would be silent, but it is not available on the Cannon EOS M.

Replies From View

Quote from: Spoon of Ploff on August 31, 2019, 05:51:24 PM
yes i can imagine it's a pain to have your prey subject alerted to the fact that there is a stalker perfectly legitimate person hiding in the bushes.. by the sound of a shutter being triggered.

If you've never been sitting in a nice quiet concert or something and had it ruined by the designated photographer loudly clunking through the whole thing you're either very lucky or very tolerant.  Or don't go to many quiet concerts maybe; I dunno what you choose to do with your transferable dogging skills.

I've always assumed that with mirrorless digital cameras there's nothing physically there to make that clunking sound and it was being made artificially for some inexplicable "effect".  Maybe that's stupid of me.

Endicott

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

I had a go with a silent shutter camera recently and found it weird. It was set to continuous shooting mode, so I ended up taking dozens of snaps without realising.

popcorn

In my opinion the law should be that when you take a photo your camera plays a loud recording of a bloke going "PHWOAAAAR".

Sebastian Cobb

Bip-bip*

*Canon language for 'yes I've focused now you slr cunt'.

a duncandisorderly

Quote from: popcorn on August 31, 2019, 09:10:35 PM
In my opinion the law should be that when you take a photo your camera plays a loud recording of a bloke going "PHWOAAAAR".

I think it is the law in the UK that cameras have to make a noise, at least the ones in phones.... I've noticed that I can't mute the daft noise my iphone makes when I'm trying to take discreet snaps here, but when I'm in spain & the phone knows it's in spain too, I can. so it's tied to the network too.

buzby, where are you?

olliebean

I don't know about iPhones, but on my Android phone I can stop it making the shutter noise just by turning the volume down (or putting it in silent mode), which is a bit of a loophole if it's the law.

Replies From View

I have an iPhone and its camera is silent.  The sounds can be muted as easily as any ringtones.

popcorn

Replies From View

Quote from: The Boston Crab on September 01, 2019, 11:23:59 AM
Great news for you and your up skirt pals!

I think you made the upskirt joke already, to be fair.

a duncandisorderly

Quote from: Replies From View on September 01, 2019, 11:03:57 AM
I have an iPhone and its camera is silent.  The sounds can be muted as easily as any ringtones.

yes. the behaviour has changed since I last upskirted tried to use the camera discreetly in the UK. it used to be the case that you couldn't mute it, but when I was telling someone about this whilst in madrid, I singularly failed to demonstrate my inability to shut the shutter sound up, which made me think it was network-aware.
super!
>heads for underground station<

Viero_Berlotti

Quote from: Replies From View on August 31, 2019, 06:22:51 PM
I've always assumed that with mirrorless digital cameras there's nothing physically there to make that clunking sound and it was being made artificially for some inexplicable "effect".  Maybe that's stupid of me.

Mirrorless digital cameras still have a mechanical shutter. However they are quieter than an SLR because you haven't got the clunking sound of the mirror flipping up when the shutter is released.

To be fair, it does seem to be a logical assumption that they wouldn't have a mechanical shutter, since the sensor is constantly exposed, to create the image in the viewfinder.

But you know what they say about assumption: It makes u a stupid sod.

greenman

Quote from: Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth on September 01, 2019, 09:23:50 PM
To be fair, it does seem to be a logical assumption that they wouldn't have a mechanical shutter, since the sensor is constantly exposed, to create the image in the viewfinder.

But you know what they say about assumption: It makes u a stupid sod.

It would seem to make sense but technically just using the sensor alone still has issues. Sensors still don't read out every pixel at exactly the same time, so in the fraction of a second it takes for the sensor to reach from the bottom to the top rapid movement can lead to warping of an image, your probably have seen the effect recording video.

The quietest cameras actually tend to be those with a built in lens because some of them have a shutter inside the lens(called a leaf shutter as its made of several small metal "leaves" that work like an iris) rather than infront of the sensor which can be much smaller.

My Sigma DP2 Mirrell for example is almost totally silent despite having an APSC sensor size.

Thursday

Is it a bit like how cash points don't need to have whirring sounds, they just have them because people worry it's not working if they don't hear any sounds?