Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 06:35:11 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Carnival Row - Amazon Prime

Started by Bently Sheds, September 01, 2019, 01:16:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bently Sheds

Is anyone watching this? It's kind of like a steampunk Grimm. A troubled detective tries to solve murder cases in a Victorian-ish world where Fairies, Centaurs, Werewolves, Humans and other things all live uneasily together.

The world building is superb; the heavy handed symbolism, however, is not so great. I'm halfway through and there are at least three storylines that don't seem to tie in with each other, hopefully it will kind of coalesce into something at the end.

Lots of boobs and bums in it, too. (Plus Orlando Bloom's extremely odd-looking breasts).

olliebean

I started watching this thinking because of the premise that it would be quite fun and not take itself too seriously (like Grimm). Only got about 10 minutes in, it was not at all fun and taking itself very seriously (and already extremely heavy-handed), and not what I was in the mood for so I watched Legends of Tomorrow instead.

Might give it another go at some point, but it didn't really look like my sort of thing so I probably won't, unless someone tells me it takes a turn.

Butchers Blind

Watched the first episode and it was all very clunky from the story to the dialogue.  The acting was wooden which is not surprising when your leading man is Orlando Bloom.

mothman

Dex Sawash

Would prefer another season of Carnivale

Lt. Organphalia

Quote from: Butchers Blind on September 01, 2019, 06:57:31 PM
Watched the first episode and it was all very clunky from the story to the dialogue.
So much exposition shoveled out of the character's mouths in an initial episode doesn't bode well.

I wouldn't be surprised if the fairy folk's favourite tipple is some kind of green beer.

Quote from: Bently Sheds on September 01, 2019, 01:16:01 PM
(Orlando Bloom's extremely odd-looking breasts).
Looks like he's had implants and they've shifted.

On the plus side:

• The city and Fairyland sets & locations looked great.
  • Whatshereyebrows' accent held well.
  • Not so much exposition shoveled in episodes 2 & 3

Bently Sheds

Finished this last night. Fantastic to look at, but if I wanted Brexit, Trump, 9/11, Bannon, Farage, Mogg, immigrants and rampant fascism I'd watch BBC News.

Head Gardener

Dex Sawash

Cara de la V unable to emote. Show looks great. Possibly the distraction I need so I can stop watching the reslly really terrible Wynnona Earp.

Head Gardener

saw the trailer to this before IT 2 tonight, god it just looks like any wet fantasy movie, pretty but pointless - a bit like the movie which was a letdown

Inspector Norse

Little interest in watching this as it's supposed to be a bit jizz, but I googled it for some reason and found that Orlando Bloom's character is supposedly 37 and Cara Delavache's is supposedly 35.

Orlando Bloom is 42 and Cara Delmonte is 27.

That probably says something about the sexual dynamics in Hollywood, doesn't it? If anyone is arsed writing an article then there you go, have that nugget on me.

Dex Sawash

George White

It looks like a gritty Discworld if made by Hallmark c.1999.

Dex Sawash

Done now, will need many more episodes if it is to get anywhere.

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

mothman