Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 01:01:48 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Indie developer gets #metoo’d by Zoe Quinn and commits suicide [split topic]

Started by Twed, September 02, 2019, 12:12:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Twed

She didn't 'hound him to his death'. She just said he did the things that nobody involved with him contradicted.

It wasn't signal boosting BTW (just for accuracy).

Quote"He'd jam his fingers inside me and walk me around the house by them when I told him it hurt," Quinn wrote.

Mister Six

Quote from: Twed on September 02, 2019, 02:44:46 PM
I'm sorry, clearly you weren't saying that.

Instead you just want to tell victims of sexual abuse that their next step is to overhaul the criminal justice system. Brilliant

Why did I post about this?

No, I'm telling the people who form these mad lynch mobs online in order harangue the accused out of a job (even though they live in another country, and have never met anyone involved in the incident) to do that. I'm not necessarily talking about this specific incident, just as Cloud wasn't.

But if you've found a way to identify which digital lynch mobs have formed around truthful accusations and which formed based on he-said, she-said fabrications, misinterpretations, misunderstandings or grievances, I'll happily take that instead. Please do elaborate.

Twed

Quote from: Mister Six on September 02, 2019, 02:58:25 PM
But if you've found a way to identify which digital lynch mobs have formed around truthful accusations and which formed based on he-said, she-said fabrications, misinterpretations, misunderstandings or grievances, I'll happily take that instead.
I'm sorry but I am dismissing your arguments until you have successfully reformed the legal system to accommodate them.

Mister Six

madhair60

I think the central premise there is that "vigilante"/unregulated harrassment on Twitter is bad Regardless Of The Reason. I'm not sure there's a meaningful comparison to criminal justice or whatever, given it's a social platform you can leave at any time.

Twed

I don't think the dead guy was particularly harassed at all anyway, was he? "Hounded" versus haunted by his actions and the repercussions.

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

Quote"He'd jam his fingers inside me and walk me around the house by them when I told him it hurt," Quinn wrote.

Hmm.

bgmnts

I am probably being really thick here but i've read that sentence 100 times and I don't understand the middle bit.

madhair60

Quote from: Twed on September 02, 2019, 04:05:52 PM
I don't think the dead guy was particularly harassed at all anyway, was he? "Hounded" versus haunted by his actions and the repercussions.

He's certainly not being harrassed now.

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

Quote from: bgmnts on September 02, 2019, 05:16:11 PM
I am probably being really thick here but i've read that sentence 100 times and I don't understand the middle bit.

I don't get it either. Did he have barbs on his fingers that meant she was unable to extricate herself?

Zetetic

No, I imagine that her inability to levitate would have been enough. Setting aside that you hardly need barbs for it to be more than uncomfortable to remove fingers from your (non-aroused) vagina, if the person with the fingers is making it difficult or indeed anything other than as easy as possible.

bgmnts

Oh she literally means he walked around with his fingers in her, like a giant finger puppet?

That's just bizarre.

Zetetic

Quote from: bgmnts on September 02, 2019, 06:41:25 PM
Oh she literally means he walked around with his fingers in her,
Yes.

Quotelike a giant finger puppet?
No.

QuoteThat's just bizarre.
No.

Zetetic

Twed

His behaviour isn't that unprecedented. This year, I helped a group of people rescue a friend from what was essentially an alpha nerd's cult where he would treat three women the same way. He made his "main" girlfriend stand out on the porch in New England snow for an hour as punishment. He kept many of them trapped by reminding them that they had nowhere else to go, that nobody else will ever love them. "I have a gun, because you mentioned you might want to kill yourself one day. I'll keep the gun with me". That kind of thing. We managed to help her escape by pretending to take her on a clothes shopping trip and then called the police. It was a beautiful thing to see how supported she was by all kinds of people, from furries to uptight professional parents of friends of hers who just thought "that's not on", coming together to break that shit up.

So yeah, don't let shock inform your opinions. And don't ever go to America, Jesus fucking Christ there's always some bullshit going on every fucking month since I moved here.

Twed

Quote from: Elderly Sumo Prophecy on September 02, 2019, 06:22:33 PM
I don't get it either. Did he have barbs on his fingers that meant she was unable to extricate herself?
Honestly it shocks me how little emotional intelligence people can have. DO YOU THINK MAYBE THERE WAS MORE TO IT THAN THE PHYSICAL LIMITS OF ESCAPING THAT SITUATION?

Zetetic

Twed

Yes. On top of massive emotional trauma, there is still the aspect of reality not being a cartoon where you can just yoink yourself out of every situation.

"Why could the little girls simply not leave when Jimmy Savile came into the room? Was he equipped with some sort of clamp that kept them affixed to their beds?"

Fucksake.

madhair60

There was what is now described as a "Savile-lock" discovered as one Jimmy's "augs" during his autopsy

Twed

Careful, this could end up escalating into a Savile row and I don't think I'm suited for that

H-O-W-L

Quote from: Twed on September 02, 2019, 08:32:50 PM
Yes. On top of massive emotional trauma, there is still the aspect of reality not being a cartoon where you can just yoink yourself out of every situation.

"Why could the little girls simply not leave when Jimmy Savile came into the room? Was he equipped with some sort of clamp that kept them affixed to their beds?"

Fucksake.

Total tangent I have often wondered if any cunts have had the temerity to try and defend Saville or deny the allegations that he was a unparalleled raper. Beyond the bobbies doing their usual "oh how wus we meant to know he wus fiddlin' the people we wus taking care of, guvner? oh well, we're sorry, oopsy."

Almost every other nonce or diddler gets some cunt defending them, even slimeballs like Rolf Harris and Max Clifford, but has any cunt had the gall to try and defend the ghoul that was Saville?

Cloud

Quote from: Famous Mortimer on September 02, 2019, 01:16:07 PM
How naive are you?

https://theconversation.com/survivors-of-sexual-violence-are-let-down-by-the-criminal-justice-system-heres-what-should-happen-next-94138

https://www.lawnow.org/putting-trials-on-trial-sexual-assault-and-the-failure-of-the-legal-profession-book-review/

The criminal justice system treats survivors of sexual abuse incredibly badly, and the reason people have taken to shaming abusers in public is because the legal system absolutely does not work for them. Are you seriously blaming the victim here for the abuser committing suicide? Are you comparing being accused correctly of sexual abuse with the trauma of being abused?that's emerged since the beginning of this rotten story, you're still blaming the victims for their abuse.

I did acknowledge that the system isn't perfect, and no I'm not blaming the victims or comparing anything (nice putting words into my mouth there).  But I can't agree that the answer is ever vigilantism.

Twed

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

He definitely wouldn't have killed himself if the police came after him.