Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 23, 2024, 09:32:43 PM

Login with username, password and session length

GeForce Now game streaming thing

Started by Kalabi, September 02, 2019, 03:55:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kalabi

Anybody else had a go on this? It's like a virtual machine that you can install games on to, pretty high spec from what I'm seeing as I'm running all of the games in maximum quality.

https://www.nvidia.com/en-gb/geforce/products/geforce-now/

I'm using the free beta at the moment on an a 2009 macpro with pretty lame internet speed and I'm pretty impressed, I'm able to play all of those PC games in full res with few issues. Occasional stutter as my 15mbps connection wobbles a bit but considering the recommended connection is 50 plus it's doing well.

There's a few of these types of streaming services on the way, I'm just chuffed I can play current games without having to buy a gaming rig.

Twed

I have an NVidia Shield that uses the service. Tried it out once or twice, yeah it works well. I can play PC games on a cheap device with any controller I want, and it's pretty responsive. I don't want to though, and I don't want to support game streaming as it's terrible for consumers and gaming history (archiving games etc.)

Kalabi

Twed

Consumers will never really own games, mods become impossible, indie game developers will find themselves either having to use the platform and not be able to dictate the terms (think artists + Spotify) or find their user base diminished because everybody streams now.

Imagine if you could never buy a DVD again and had to hope that your favourite movies will remain on Netflix forever.

https://www.digitaltrends.com/gaming/how-games-streaming-services-will-hurt-games-development/

Kalabi

Ah right, yes I was wondering what the downside was. All my games are on steam anyway so i dont have physical copies, but I see your point of it restricting what users can do.

Edit: Thanks for the article :)

Sebastian Cobb

You can do this yourself with things like parsec, or setting up aws instances (which is probably what a lot of these things are anyway).