Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 09:46:57 PM

Login with username, password and session length

YouTube for old comedy

Started by TheMonk, September 03, 2019, 03:56:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheMonk

A lot of old comedy gets ripped off YouTube quick smart but someone by the name Laff Lord is currently uploading an impressive load of old UK tv comedy. If you look at his playlists there's sure to be something to tickle your fancy.

Small Man Big Horse

Thanks for that, there's some interesting stuff there, but I'd recommend people download anything they like the look of as I'd be amazed if a lot isn't taken down, Network are especially bastards for removing clips of some of their shows, so I imagine full episodes will disappear very quickly.

jsgibble

Mostly stuff you can torrent but thanks, this is cool

Rolf Lundgren

Blimey, that's a lot of Cannon and Ball.

TheMonk

Quote from: Rolf Lundgren on September 04, 2019, 07:40:28 PM
Blimey, that's a lot of Cannon and Ball.
I watched one of these from Series 7 yesterday. Fucking painful.

Brundle-Fly

Quote from: Small Man Big Horse on September 03, 2019, 11:15:06 AM
Thanks for that, there's some interesting stuff there, but I'd recommend people download anything they like the look of as I'd be amazed if a lot isn't taken down, Network are especially bastards for removing clips of some of their shows, so I imagine full episodes will disappear very quickly.

I can understand Network getting needled by full episodes being uploaded but clips? Surely, the best advert possible for their, quite frankly, fantastic DVD catalogue?

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: Brundle-Fly on September 06, 2019, 09:27:34 AM
I can understand Network getting needled by full episodes being uploaded but clips? Surely, the best advert possible for their, quite frankly, fantastic DVD catalogue?

You'd have thought so but I uploaded a whole bunch of clips from the various shows my Uncle had appeared in, and as soon as Network released them on dvd they got taken down, to the extent that the whole channel was removed in the end.

Cuellar

Jesus Britain has produced a lot of shite hasn't it

Bennett Brauer

Quote from: Cuellar on September 06, 2019, 11:22:41 AM

I started to watch a random episode of Sharon and Elsie because I'd never heard of it before and Brigit Forsyth was in it. I couldn't believe how 2005 the upload quality was, but three minutes of staggeringly unfunny dialogue later I realised it didn't matter.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6QK8THNwETg

Cuellar

Do you reckon 'Cuffy' is any good.

Bennett Brauer

How gentle do you like your comedy? I haven't seen it but I've got the Shillingbury Tales DVD and that's quite entertaining if you fancy Diane Keen like bucolic nostalgia.

Cuellar

'Gentle' comedy does sort of make me want to cry/open my wrists, so I think I'll give Cuffy a miss.

Chriddof

Quote from: Small Man Big Horse on September 06, 2019, 11:12:55 AM
You'd have thought so but I uploaded a whole bunch of clips from the various shows my Uncle had appeared in, and as soon as Network released them on dvd they got taken down, to the extent that the whole channel was removed in the end.

Network really are incredibly touchy about any Youtube uploads - to the point where the message board The Mausoleum Club (which is somehow linked to Network in some sort of semi-official manner) forbids any links to Youtube whatsoever, and for a while users had to jokingly refer to the site using things like "you-know-where", "the place that shall not be named", etc.

JesusAndYourBush

Quote from: Cuellar on September 06, 2019, 11:22:41 AM

I'm impressed with the amount of stuff on there, a shame most of it is a bit cack.  About the only thing that interests me is the Kenny Everett stuff, at last a chance to get a more complete set...  his copies of the Thames episodes contain the authentic footage as opposed to those "reconstructed" episodes that were on youtube a few years ago using all the wrong music clips.  Except...  Many of the music clips have been silenced by the algorithm because somewhere some joyless twonk doesn't want us to hear low-fi versions of songs that are already on youtube in full and in better quality.  It wouldn't be so bad if the algorithm wasn't so clumsy - it's taken out parts of the surrounding sketches too.   At least we should be thankful it's not silenced the entire video as used to happen before they refined it.

Famous Mortimer

Hopefully he'll put them on a torrent site too (or maybe already has).

JesusAndYourBush

Now I've had time to check the Kenny Everett episodes they've not been hit as badly as I thought.  The three long videos of the first three BBC series are the worst hit, with 11 out of 24 episodes having some silenced parts.  After that he starts uploading the episodes individually, and of those ones only one episode is affected, Thames s2e8 with Hot Gossip dancing to "The No.1 Song In Heaven" by Sparks having the audio silenced - and quite neatly too so it doesn't ruin the surrounding sketches, plus that episode also has the end music silenced.  All the other Thames episodes are unaffected so if you want them grab them now.

Cuellar

On a related note I was watching Limmy's Show on Netflix the other day and the 'Ring-a Rang-a Dong for a Holiday' sketch just has some generic jaunty music instead of the song, completely destroying the sketch, in my view.