Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 02:19:32 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Tinypic closed - is my avatar still working?

Started by MojoJojo, September 04, 2019, 02:03:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MojoJojo

PSA and a query. Tinypic is shutting it's doors, so if you use it you'll need to move stuff else where.

I still see my avatar, but don't know if it's just cached or what. Also, any recommendations for a good replacement for tinypic?

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

I can see it. It's a picture of a lemon baby crowning, right?

postimg.cc is where I upload mine.

the

I used to use Imgur, but then it seemed to become annoying and switched to Postimg.

But one day the Postimg.org domain suddenly stopped working and they had to switch their URL to .cc, causing all the hotlinked .org pics to no longer work (you can get them going again if you amend the links to .cc ones, but in old forum posts you can't do that.) They also seem to throttle hotlinking bandwidth sometimes, causing images to become temporarily unavailable.

So I've switched back to Imgur which has improved slightly. Just paste the Tinypic URL of your avatar into Imgur and and it'll create an Imgur instance of it. The important thing is to use Get Share Links to get the image URL (not the URL of the page that gets created on Imgur).

https://imgur.com/upload

olliebean

Quote from: the on September 04, 2019, 02:43:41 PMSo I've switched back to Imgur which has improved slightly. Just paste the Tinypic URL of your avatar into Imgur and and it'll create an Imgur instance of it. The important thing is to use Get Share Links to get the image URL (not the URL of the page that gets created on Imgur).

Where's Get Share Links? Can't see it anywhere. I usually just right-click on the image and do "Copy Image Location" to get the image URL.

the

Quote from: olliebean on September 04, 2019, 03:14:56 PMWhere's Get Share Links? Can't see it anywhere. I usually just right-click on the image and do "Copy Image Location" to get the image URL.

You can do that, though that may not work if it's an animated GIF.

Get Share Links is in the dropdown next to the Copy button.

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

https://imgtc.ws/

I use that. Nice and simple, with all of the social mediaesque bullshit of Imgur stripped out.

Ambient Sheep

Fucking hell, first I've heard of this, and now I'm desperately trying to remember if I ever hosted anything on Tinypic.  Probably not since a throwaway or two many years ago, so.I think I'm ok.

Fuck, I wonder how many more old threads on here this will trash?!

QuoteAs you look for a new hosting service, please consider selecting one of the premium plans offered by our sister site, Photobucket.

Ah, now suddenly it all makes sense.  Cunts.

Ambient Sheep

As for Imgur, although they don't seem to enforce it judging by how many people do this, their Ts&Cs still state:

QuoteDon't use Imgur to host image libraries that you link to from elsewhere, content for your website, advertising, avatars, or anything else that turns us into your content delivery network.  If you do [...] we will ban you along with the site you're hotlinking from, delete all your images [...] and prevent you from viewing any images hosted on imgur.com. We mean it.

So in theory, a single imgur pic hotlinked from here by one person could result in every single imgur pic on here vanishing overnight.

Since the Photobucket debacle I've been using postimg but the change to .cc was indeed a pain.

MojoJojo

So, as you've probably noticed, they've blocked hotlinking now.

touchingcloth

I used to use tinypic, but switched to imgur when tinypic added an annoying captcha, and around the same time when photobucket started requiring a premium account for hotlinking and I got the sense that imgur was probably less likely to end up that way than tinypic.

The main annoying thing with imgur is they try and prevent anonymous uploads from mobile, so if I'm on my phone I need to request the desktop version of the site which is just annoying enough for me to think twice about using images on here when I'm on my phone. 

NJ Uncut

postimg.cc represent but tinypic has been legit cack for years