Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 07:24:58 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Jojo Rabbit, Nazi comedy by Taika Waititi

Started by samadriel, September 04, 2019, 02:58:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SteveDave

It was quite good. The change of pace after he gets blown up until Nazi Merchant arrives though had me wavering a bit but I was back in for the butterfly chasing/finding his dead mum scene.

Dex Sawash

Quote from: Head Gardener on December 23, 2019, 09:42:09 AM
saw this last night and loved it, good quality screeners are available

I click on play, then dismiss the 'sure you don't want to use a vpn?'' popup and then nothing happens.

Have I not got the proper codec malware on my phone or am I just too old to be a pyrate?

studpuppet

Took my (admittedly German) wife and kids to see this on the big screen, after having vetted it first for not being a really crass mistake.

Result:
- Missus in absolute tears by the end. Reckons it's amazing, and is going to recommend it to everyone she knows. Thinks the subject matter is dealt with brilliantly, and thought that no British or German director could have pulled off the tightrope walk switching between bathos and pathos.
- Me also in pieces even having seen it once already (the fucking SHOES). It's really not something you could call a comedy really, although there is some very black humour. Also, the boy who plays Jojo is just extraordinary. First professional acting role and he's basically nailed this acting thing at the first attempt.
- Kids liked it. Probably liked the Rebel Wilson bits more than their parents did though.

I've never commented on a Guardian article before, but guess where I'm off to next...
Edit: bollocks, you can't comment on reviews.

Mister Six

Just kicking the edit bug out of a window. Glad the film's being well received here though!

QDRPHNC

I enjoyed it quite a bit too. For a while it seemed like it was aiming for a Wes Anderson type vibe without ever really achieving lift-off the way Anderson's films do. Until that bit that studpuppet put in spoilers, at that point it became it's own film.

Sam Rockwell brilliant as ever.

bgmnts

Yeah pretty ace to be fair, the wham reveal at about 1:15 in with the shoe was a gutwrench and then it became a lot darker. The little fat kid was just adorable.

Sam Rockwell was indeed awesome as ever. And Scarlett Johannson is so beautiful and talented its almost irritating.

SteK

Quote from: olliebean on November 12, 2019, 05:20:52 PM
Only in a camcorder-smuggled-into-cinema version, AFAICS.

magnetdl.com DVD Screener........

SteK

Quote from: SteveDave on November 12, 2019, 03:28:20 PM
Is this "available"?

magnetdl.com DVD Screener........

Posted in wrong part of thread before......

gilbertharding

Previously unaware of this - but it was the only trailer shown when I went to see Knives Out last week.

I must say, I had to watch it through my fingers, with the phrase 'this doesn't look good for Corbyn' running round and round in my head.

phantom_power

The hottest take I have seen is someone saying that the message of the film is "love is better than hate" or "fight hate with love" or something, and that this is such a privileged position from someone who has obviously never been on the wrong end of hate. Twat

QDRPHNC

Reading some of the middling reviews after I saw it, they seemed to be condemning the movie for what it wasn't (a boundary-pushing meta satire), rather than what it was (a completely sincere piece of storytelling with some added absurdity).

neveragain

Thought it was wonderful, a deft mix of silly humour and powerful pathos. Stephen Merchant was genuinely chilling and, as mentioned above, Rockwell and Johanssen are so impressive.... but the biggest plaudits should go to the kids. Magnificent work.

I did think it would have been good if Taiki's Hitler had suddenly become very real and threatening just before Jojo got rid of him but there's very little else I would wish to change.

Quote from: phantom_power on January 03, 2020, 05:18:01 PM
The hottest take I have seen is someone saying that the message of the film is "love is better than hate" or "fight hate with love" or something, and that this is such a privileged position from someone who has obviously never been on the wrong end of hate. Twat
Ricky Gervais's Derek Battles the Nazis would be an amazing film.

samadriel

Quote from: neveragain on January 06, 2020, 12:17:08 AM

I did think it would have been good if Taiki's Hitler had suddenly become very real and threatening just before Jojo got rid of him but there's very little else I would wish to change.

I liked the very, very brief moments where imaginary Hitler becomes slightly scary, and I agree that more could have been done with that, but generally I really liked the movie as well, and I think Waititi accomplished what he set out to do.

up_the_hampipe

Liked this film. A lot more devastating imagery than I expected, but probably foolish of me to expect anything else from a film set in Nazi Germany. Still, it was a 12A. That kid who played Yorki was a little scene stealer, wasn't he? Sam Rockwell was also enjoyable, but I would have liked to see his character explored more.

kidsick5000

Quote from: up_the_hampipe on January 06, 2020, 11:10:40 AM
Sam Rockwell was also enjoyable, but I would have liked to see his character explored more.

I liked that there was that ambiguity or certainly it's not unnecessarily spelled out. Spoiler talk He's part of the resistance, probably because he knows it's not just Jews being persecuted and his lifestyle with Alfie Allen is threatened. He possibly fought with JoJo's dad. I love that you wonder if he's actually having a fling with ScarJo (but maybe that's also a front they're putting up to hide being gay and that's why she's able to chastise him in his own office etc).
But it's twigging the way he bursts in during Stephen Merchant's investigation. He didn't happen to be passing, he's not later for the SS house visit. He'd seen ScarJo in the town square. He was rushing to make sure Jojo doesn't go outside. Which is why he tells him to stay in after the SS leave.

I'd much rather he stay vague.
Probably because this film is so close to perfection that even manages to keep you on the edge of your seat to the end.
After one gutpunch, there is still that chance that this will end in tears. When Jojo lies about Germany winning, you really don't know what effect it will have on Elsa
Best film of 2019, for me

Mister Six

I only wish Waititi has taken a fraction of the ballsiness and ability to land real emotion that he showed in this film and used it in Ragnarok.

peanutbutter

Tuesday evening screening and I'd say the absolutely huge theatre was over 50% full, which is pretty fucking packed by my standards.

Liked this more than I expected; oddly I think the weakest part (other than the very very ending) was Waititi himself, it would've been very hard to get right but that Hitler character absolutely had the potential to be a hell of a lot more interesting with a performance that had more of an edge.

ajsmith2

Must've cost a fair bit in licensing budget to get the actual Beatles for the opening song, eh?

Well this was incredible. I'd have it as Taikas second best film behind hunt for the Wilder people. The few serious scenes actually worked better than the comedy in it and had me tearing up. That ending as well, wow (and music choice)

Enrico Palazzo

If Waititi had cut himself out of it (making it a different film) I might have liked it more. 5 out of 10.

Puce Moment

This was far better than I was expecting. I would say this is a good example of a trailer NOT spoiling a film, although I'm sure that they didn't intend this. It is being marketed as a full-throttle coming-of-age comedy with a dark edge that isn't too sharp. Kind of like Son of Rambow with Nazees. It's not that at all.

Very moving and amazing performances. The comedy lags behind the drama as we move through the story, but not in a problematic way (for me). In fact, I'm not sure I laughed much.

Waititi understands something essential to the success of films like this - cast kids that can act. It makes a huge difference.

Dewt

Much better than I thought it could be. Glad I watched it alone.

Dewt

The Sam Rockwell character is so beautiful

phantom_power

Quote from: peanutbutter on January 07, 2020, 09:41:40 PM
Tuesday evening screening and I'd say the absolutely huge theatre was over 50% full, which is pretty fucking packed by my standards.

Liked this more than I expected; oddly I think the weakest part (other than the very very ending) was Waititi himself, it would've been very hard to get right but that Hitler character absolutely had the potential to be a hell of a lot more interesting with a performance that had more of an edge.

He is a 10-year-old's idea of what Hitler is though, not a real representation. It is all in his head and so is going to act like a kid and be silly and only occasionally threatening.

phantom_power

Quote from: Dewt on January 10, 2020, 04:47:29 AM
Much better than I thought it could be. Glad I watched it alone.

Is it because you cried like a baby?

I cried like a baby

Dewt

Quote from: phantom_power on January 10, 2020, 09:38:05 PM
Is it because you cried like a baby?
Yep. I even took time to pause it before it had finished and walk around the room, crying

I thought Waititi's mad, prancing Hitler was hilarious.

phantom_power

I cried twice. I think you can work out which bits. Proper crying as well. I normally only let out a few manly tears which I sniff away and carry on with pipe smoking and making mother-in-law jokes but I full-on blubbed at this.

Waititi has that gift that great writers have of making specificity seem universal. Little things that mean a lot

Dewt

I watched it and blubbed and then decided "I am wasting my life, I am going to learn the flute". It was basically Homestar's reaction to Lil' Brudder.