Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 08:24:13 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Nintendo Switch: Thread 2: The Drift

Started by madhair60, September 05, 2019, 11:28:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

are you a Switch Bitch

Yes
48 (60.8%)
No
6 (7.6%)
Raoul Moat
25 (31.6%)

Total Members Voted: 79

Fry

Oooh fuck, Witcher 3. Youve fucking cracked it mate, I forgot that got released in switch. Cheers

Fry

Ah but my mate, (who's a little like you bosto) just offered me his copy of astral chain because he's bought about two games a week since I've known him so he has no time to play them.

Kelvin

Astral Chain in my GOTY and arguably my 2nd or 3rd favourite game on switch. Play that over some shite game about banshees down a well.

I'm sure Astral Chain will be great, it's still sitting there waiting for me. I'm just not in the mood for that combat yet/at the mo.

I wouldn't want to be figuring out that two stick twitchy combat while stoned. Your thumbs would feel like space hoppers. Also I'm guessing it's the kind of thing you can't play for too long because it gets a bit repetitive. Best to take it in chunks, I imagine. That's how all the Platinum games have been to me, anyway.

Witcher 3 is way better to soak up for a weekend luxuriating in your own company. Very atmospheric but fifty quid as well.

No, 42 quid if you change your account region to Sweden via this link:

https://accounts.nintendo.com/edit

You can change it back after and you lose nothin unless you put cash into your UK account balance. You can use UK debit or credit card or PayPal to pay via Sweden store though, so no hassle.

madhair60

Resi Revelations 2 is on sale for £11.99 right now and I recommend it about as highly as I'd recommend anything. A fucking superior game if it clicks with you. The campaign is enormous fun (even better with a mate), but Raid Mode sucked up hours and hours and glorious hours of my life. A brilliant bit of Number Go Up, where you're levelling your characters as well as their weapons. Joyous shooting.

Timothy

Bought Fire Emblem two weeks ago. Absolutely fantastic. Might be my favorite Switch game so far.

Also still enjoying Mario Maker and Tetris 99 and looking foreard to Luigis Mansion 3.

Piggyoioi

Quote from: Timothy on October 27, 2019, 08:58:09 PM
Bought Fire Emblem two weeks ago. Absolutely fantastic. Might be my favorite Switch game so far.

Also still enjoying Mario Maker and Tetris 99 and looking foreard to Luigis Mansion 3.

fuck off tim.

buntyman

I very much enjoyed the Mario and sonic Olympics demo. Best played with a separate controller though. I wonder if online multiplayer will be any good.

Luigi's Mansion 3 is getting great reviews. I have bought too much recently to pick this up yet but pleased it's not some Kirby tier s4c.

Kelvin

Actually, the reviews have put me off. I was planning to get it, but hearing the combat is so repetitive and uses the vacuum mechanic so little, I'm thinking of not bothering. Not sure I want to fork out that much for a game that's good, not great.

But almost every review says it's the best LM game and one of the best games on the Switch. Doesn't look like my kind of thing but I'm prepared to give it a go.

Twed

Damn bitch are you in the pool with me rn?

madhair60

You don't play Luigi's Mansion for the combat you absolute box

Kelvin

Quote from: madhair60 on October 29, 2019, 02:51:17 PM
You don't play Luigi's Mansion for the combat you absolute box

Not "combat", no, but if the main thing you do - catching ghosts- is very repetitive and samey throughout*, it does put me off a bit.  At least in the original, many of the ghosts put up quite a fight, dragging you around, vanishing and sneaking up on you.

I might still get it while it's got the pre-order offer attached, but the reviews have cooled my enthusiasm a bit.

* Hoover for a few secs, then 4 slams

Twed

Hah, Luigi has a UV light mode on his vacuum now? He really loves cum, doesn't he?

popcorn

A mate has messaged me to say that Tesco are doing an "any two Switch games for £60" deal at the moment.

BritishHobo

Is it fine playing The Witcher 3 if you haven't played the Witchers 1 through 2? THANKS.

madhair60

Quote from: BritishHobo on November 01, 2019, 05:53:24 PM
Is it fine playing The Witcher 3 if you haven't played the Witchers 1 through 2? THANKS.

No. You'd have to be a fucking idiot to be honest. Money in the river.

Kelvin

Latest Smash Ultimate character, Terry Bogard, is crap. Boring to play, boring level, mostly awful music. Hope the next one is better.

madhair60

Nah he's great, sorry he's not another sword anime which is what YOU like.

Kelvin

Quote from: madhair60 on November 10, 2019, 05:39:33 PM
Nah he's great, sorry he's not another sword anime which is what YOU like.

Whaaaat? I thought you'd said he was boring when they announced him?

EDIT: Obviously a character can be boring to look at, but fun to play. I felt that way about the Dragon Quest character.

EDIT 2: ... Who we can all agree is NOT another anime sword character.

madhair60

I dunno what I say or don't say anymore. I would have preferred Iori, but I like Terry because SNK needs more love 100% of the time :)

I might actually buy the pass for Terry B. Kelv, are you doing the inputs for his moves? Meant to be the most trad 2D fighter ever in Smash, right?

Kelvin

Quote from: The Boston Crab on November 10, 2019, 06:30:59 PM
I might actually buy the pass for Terry B. Kelv, are you doing the inputs for his moves? Meant to be the most trad 2D fighter ever in Smash, right?

He's probably fun if you know all that stuff. I just find him too much like Ryu and Ken. Stage is just a big, empty stadium, music is all shit midi rock. He's the first character on the pass I haven't enjoyed playing, though. Banjo, Joker and Hero are all loads of fun - especially Hero who has some insanely overpowered and varied attacks. I know a lot of the pros hate him, because he's so unpredictable and reliant on RNG, but he is so much fun to play as, shooting massive fireballs, self destructing, turning to metal, nuking the screen, he's ridiculous.     

Kelvin

This is one of Hero's selectable moves*:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xNuaXgl4dzY

*i.e. not a Final Smash attack

Yeah, he is like Ryu and Ken I imagine because he's all about the quarter and half circle inputs. That's pretty standard stuff in 2D fighters and in fairness, SNK has a shitload more history and pedigree in the genre than Nintendo, and I mean no disrespect by that. I'm just saying that all that stuff is seriously legit fighting game fundamentals. I think it's really cool that they've gone all in on such a character in a game like Smash. I only ever played Ken because I liked that they included some of his SF inputs for different variations on his moves, felt more interesting to me than the platformy jumping around which I've never really gotten used to or particularly enjoyed. Not trying to be a dick here about Smash, I'm just shit at it, but I'm genuinely excited to play an SNK shoto-style fighter in it, and especially if it winds up Smash wankers (not you at all).

Hero looks really interesting and cool. I can dig that. I honestly just wish there were fewer sword slashing characters and that you didn't come across them all the time.

Twed

Jesus Christ there's a #PokemonGate, what a depressing situation to look at from every angle

https://egamingdesk.com/nintendo-switch/gamefreaklied-pokemon-dev-under-serious-fire/

Tedious fans, game for a classic series that looks like it's going to be shit.

Hardly surprised it's turned out shite. The Ultra games were supposed to tide people over, but the arse falling out of the 3DS market put paid to that so they've rushed the fuck out of Sword/Shield to get it out the door.