Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 26, 2024, 02:26:57 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Nintendo Switch: Thread 2: The Drift

Started by madhair60, September 05, 2019, 11:28:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

are you a Switch Bitch

Yes
48 (60.8%)
No
6 (7.6%)
Raoul Moat
25 (31.6%)

Total Members Voted: 79

I think it's like 84 Metacritic isn't it?

They're all shit but good enough at what they do to satisfy the fiends. Isn't that just Poke?

Fry

I'm cracking on this tomorrow. Havne't played a Pokemon game since Emerald, quite excited to jump back in.

kittens

was gonna get it as a christmas treat and got all excited about being mentally stuck in a state of permanent childhood but now all these redditors are moaning about it for some reason. is it gonna be shit. i guess by christmas there will be consensus

Twed

Definitely not one I'll buy on release day, but if it turns out that the general reception is good after you filter out a bunch of incels then I'll definitely get it and love the shit out of it.

Famous Mortimer

Saints Row 3 has finally been patched and might be worth playing now. Come on, Black Friday deals (although there won't be any, because they don't need to offer deals to shift crazy numbers of them).

Twed

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

Quote from: Famous Mortimer on November 14, 2019, 04:04:29 PM
Saints Row 3 has finally been patched and might be worth playing now. Come on, Black Friday deals (although there won't be any, because they don't need to offer deals to shift crazy numbers of them).

Been playing that on and off for the past few months. Just booted it up now, and the frame rate seems a lot more stable in handheld. They've tinkered with the aiming a bit as well. The story is still bobbins, unfortunately.

petercussing

I got me a Satisfye Grip and boy is it satisfyeing to grip in my giant man sized grabbers. Top recommend Bostov Crabulon.

I am also enjoying Astral Pliz-ane. Was slow to start with and has some annoying sub quests but you can fuck them off and just leap about murdering electric monsters and be having fun time fun. I rate it 8.238 out of 11.627

Timothy

Playing Astral Chain now because of the recommendation of Kelvin and Boston in the Astral thread. You were both right. Amazing game.

Kelvin

Quote from: Timothy on November 16, 2019, 06:23:39 PM
Playing Astral Chain now because of the recommendation of Kelvin and Boston in the Astral thread. You were both right. Amazing game.

Yeah, it's brilliant. Almost certsinly my game of the year, and probably among the very best games on Switch. I cannot reccomened that game enough. Just a wonderful, wonderful adrenaline rush that had me grinning like a kid throughout.

I bought the Hori Split Pad Pro.

Size comparison: Satisfye Grip, Hori Split Pad Pro, Joycons.

Tl;dr:  Satisfye is the most comfortable to hold. The Hori Split is the most comfortable to use, and the D-pad alone justifies the purchase.

I'm pretty picky about grips and stuff and I've been through a few. The Satisfye Grip is still the most comfortable in your hand and the angled right grip means your thumb sits more comfortably on the right stick. It has fatter, rounder, deeper grips which mean that your little finger curls round more naturally. You could hold it comfortably in one hand if you were playing a particularly salacious visual novel.

With the Hori, your little finger tends to splay slightly and sit along the bottom of the Switch like if you were playing in 'naked' handheld, but that might just be muscle memory. That said, I've also found that the shape of the Split Pro Pads means that your little finger can sit more along the back of the Switch quite comfortably. It's a slightly different grip position to get used to but it feels comfortable and your thumb can access the left stick and D-pad perfectly well without any adjustment. I find that even with the Satisfye, the sticks require a bit of frequent repositioning work with the thumb because of the smooth material and low stick height. This makes stuff like fighting games or shmups or precision platformers a bit of a pain for me.

The Hori Split Pad has way more comfortable sticks, almost as good as the Pro Controller albeit with a little bit more of a deadzone, and crucially, it has the best D-pad available for the Switch by far. This alone has instantly justified the purchase for me, because shmups and 2D fighters instantly feel better than any other control option I've got. I played some brief Rolling Gunner and Psyvariar Delta and they are both so snappy and precise with the D-pad. I don't know how I ever managed even with the Pro Controller analogue stick. It also has much more comfortable face buttons, bumpers and especially triggers.

Official Summary:

Grip Comfort: Satisfye: S+, Hori: A-.

Stick Comfort: Satisfye: B-, Hori: A+.

D-pad Comfort: Satisfye: D+, Hori: S.

Buttons Comfort: Satisfye: B, Hori: A.

There's still potential for further improvements, then. The fatter Satisfye grips are perfect and I'd love a fatty Split Pad revision but the Hori will be my handheld mode of choice regardless from now on. The D-pad, left stick and triggers open up my handheld library to now include everything. I'll even be going back to the NES and SNES stuff now which never felt quite right without a proper D.

petercussing

Oooooh, i nearly dun buyed this, but was paralyzed with the fear of not knowing so went for the safety choice of "the grip" device.

You saying about the little finger thing makes me feel a bit better about my purchase as that's one thing that jacks up my hands. The stick and d look nice as pies. There's no way i could possibly justify that purchase tho after just buying "the grip".

I do luv me "the grip", makes me feel like i could comfortably bludgeon someone to death with it on the old switch, which is mainly why i want it.

Anyway, i finished Astral Plizzle and all in all it was pretty great for lots of it, but some parts were tedious shenmue type ish. It super animecore tho which is nice, but i did walk away* feeling a tad unsatisfied, after loving it up nice, but then it's always hard to end games well.

Can't be fucked with mission 12 tho.

Just started Mario Kart 8 Deloox and it's really good fun. This is why i got this thing, for fun games.....and then to go online and talk in a self aggrandising manner about how i like fun games. Seems like the best one since the gb advance one is my fairly boring opinion that everyone else thinks, which i don't know why i bothered writing really. 

*As with all games once finished i literally put down the switch and just walked in the opposite direction from it since yesterday, like a slow gump.

Blinder Data

I think I'm actually going to buy a Switch. This is actually going to happen.

However, leaning toward Switch Lite due to the fact I don't have a telly/monitor and I'll almost certainly be playing it by myself or on the go most of the time. And it's much cheaper. I don't think this is a bad idea. Please tell me I'm making the right choice.

If you don't have a telly, no point.

Why don't you have a telly?

Bazooka

Yeah I'm hoping to buy one when back in the UK for Christmas, despite have a backlog of PS4 games and hell even 3DS.

I highly recommend Ys VIII: Lacrimosa of Dana as a smashing RPG to anyone, my game of the year on PS4, even you never played  a YS game.

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

Quote from: The Boston Crab on November 19, 2019, 08:16:14 PM
I bought the Hori Split Pad Pro.

Size comparison: Satisfye Grip, Hori Split Pad Pro, Joycons.

Tl;dr:  Satisfye is the most comfortable to hold. The Hori Split is the most comfortable to use, and the D-pad alone justifies the purchase.

I'm pretty picky about grips and stuff and I've been through a few. The Satisfye Grip is still the most comfortable in your hand and the angled right grip means your thumb sits more comfortably on the right stick. It has fatter, rounder, deeper grips which mean that your little finger curls round more naturally. You could hold it comfortably in one hand if you were playing a particularly salacious visual novel.

With the Hori, your little finger tends to splay slightly and sit along the bottom of the Switch like if you were playing in 'naked' handheld, but that might just be muscle memory. That said, I've also found that the shape of the Split Pro Pads means that your little finger can sit more along the back of the Switch quite comfortably. It's a slightly different grip position to get used to but it feels comfortable and your thumb can access the left stick and D-pad perfectly well without any adjustment. I find that even with the Satisfye, the sticks require a bit of frequent repositioning work with the thumb because of the smooth material and low stick height. This makes stuff like fighting games or shmups or precision platformers a bit of a pain for me.

The Hori Split Pad has way more comfortable sticks, almost as good as the Pro Controller albeit with a little bit more of a deadzone, and crucially, it has the best D-pad available for the Switch by far. This alone has instantly justified the purchase for me, because shmups and 2D fighters instantly feel better than any other control option I've got. I played some brief Rolling Gunner and Psyvariar Delta and they are both so snappy and precise with the D-pad. I don't know how I ever managed even with the Pro Controller analogue stick. It also has much more comfortable face buttons, bumpers and especially triggers.

Official Summary:

Grip Comfort: Satisfye: S+, Hori: A-.

Stick Comfort: Satisfye: B-, Hori: A+.

D-pad Comfort: Satisfye: D+, Hori: S.

Buttons Comfort: Satisfye: B, Hori: A.

There's still potential for further improvements, then. The fatter Satisfye grips are perfect and I'd love a fatty Split Pad revision but the Hori will be my handheld mode of choice regardless from now on. The D-pad, left stick and triggers open up my handheld library to now include everything. I'll even be going back to the NES and SNES stuff now which never felt quite right without a proper D.

No vibration on the Hori (kek). Or motion controls.

Blinder Data

Quote from: The Boston Crab on December 14, 2019, 03:58:02 PM
If you don't have a telly, no point.

Why don't you have a telly?

We have one but it's rubs and sits in the cupboard. We watch stuff on a laptop and get by without one.

Did you hear me at the back? WE DON'T HAVE A TELLY

Will ask the wife if she thinks we'll play any games together. If no, it's all Lite on the night.

imitationleather

I too am thinking of getting a Switch in the new year. Is there any likelihood of it being in sales? I am guessing not but it's good to dream.

Can't decide between Normal and Lite.

Jerzy Bondov

You'll probably be able to find some good bundles but there won't be huge discounts. Personally I'd say if you can afford it and are in any doubt, get the normal one. More versatile innit. Using the joycons for a little bit of local multiplayer is underrated

Famous Mortimer

Quote from: Jerzy Bondov on December 18, 2019, 02:27:57 PM
You'll probably be able to find some good bundles but there won't be huge discounts. Personally I'd say if you can afford it and are in any doubt, get the normal one. More versatile innit. Using the joycons for a little bit of local multiplayer is underrated
My mate brought it to the cinema where he worked and we had an excellent drunk evening of Smash Bros, not on the monster-sized screen, but on the quite large one in the smaller lounge, after they'd closed for the night. Two thumbs up from this local multiplayer enthusiast.

imitationleather

Quote from: Jerzy Bondov on December 18, 2019, 02:27:57 PM

Wooo. Just ordered a full fat Switch with Mario Kart and Pokemon Sword.

Finding somewhere with it in stock was an absolute fucking nightmare. Pleased I managed it and am excited. 10/10 Would bang again.

imitationleather

My Switch is being delivered tomorrow morning! I'm am one excited cunt.

Got to work until half 2 but then I'm firing that prick up, ordering a mad takeaway and pretending to take some of the drugs I didn't get around to sorting out all the way to 2020 baby.

jobotic

Been playing Mario Kart everyday on son's new Switch. He also has Minecraft. Will get myself Zelda for my birthday (for us to share), but need to find out what else is decent.

imitationleather

I just realised that this is the first time I've actually seen one in real life. It's bigger than I was expecting. Looks lush as fuck, to be honest.

Now to crack on with Pokemon.

Beagle 2

The Christmas I finally bought Red Dead Redemption 2 and I can't stop playing Super Punch Out.

kittens

Quote from: imitationleather on December 31, 2019, 02:46:21 PM
I just realised that this is the first time I've actually seen one in real life. It's bigger than I was expecting. Looks lush as fuck, to be honest.

Now to crack on with Pokemon.

which of the fellas did you pick. so you want to smash hop's face off yet.

imitationleather

Quote from: kittens on January 01, 2020, 09:36:37 PM
which of the fellas did you pick. so you want to smash hop's face off yet.

I picked the fire rabbit one. Yes Hop is a dick. You're never going to be the top Pokemon trainer or whatever it is, Hop. That's obviously me, so stop going on about it.

The game is far too easy. If I hadn't just dropped so much money on it I don't think I'd feel very motivated to complete it.

Dewt

I haven't left the village. It just isn't very good (so far, and nothing shows me any sign of it changing)

Today's technology would support an amazing Pokemon game, but it feels that the culture around it makes it impossible. It is so limited by what audience it has to appeal to and its fan base.

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

Has anyone on here modded a Switch? I've been looking at a few videos, and having a Dreamcast emulator to play on the go sounds ace. They've even got PS2 and Xbox emus up there, although they're a bit slow.

Kelvin

Quote from: Dewt on January 02, 2020, 02:08:39 PM
I haven't left the village. It just isn't very good (so far, and nothing shows me any sign of it changing)

Today's technology would support an amazing Pokemon game, but it feels that the culture around it makes it impossible. It is so limited by what audience it has to appeal to and its fan base.

Isn't the problem The Pokemon Company? Most players do want them to shake up the series, especially now it's on a (relatively) more powerful device. If the two groups most into Pokemon are kids (who don't have nostalgia for the older games), and people who grew up with them and probably want something a bit more engaging now, it's hard to understand why the developers are so wedded to such a dated style of game - especially the visuals / animations.

I honestly think the people at the top are just incredibly complacent and lazy, happy to shovel out the exact same shit every year, so long as they keep making money. They aren't interested branching out, because they don't think they need to.