Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 01:51:46 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Nintendo Switch: Thread 2: The Drift

Started by madhair60, September 05, 2019, 11:28:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

are you a Switch Bitch

Yes
48 (60.8%)
No
6 (7.6%)
Raoul Moat
25 (31.6%)

Total Members Voted: 79

JumpAction

All these games getting delayed lately and I'm here like a sad shit hoping Animal Crossing keeps its March date because (aside from Nioh 2) it's the only game I'm particularly excited for.

Famous Mortimer

Quote from: imitationleather on January 17, 2020, 09:46:31 AM
Aye when I got mine after Christmas the only UK stockist I could find was Very, and they went out of stock immediately after I ordered.
My local place still has them, but you may be right, and the price of them has gone up by $20 since I last looked. But that's an order online, pick up in store thing, so they might not have any immediately at hand.

madhair60

Quote from: Kelvin on January 17, 2020, 05:19:47 PM
He's a bloody good puppeteer, too. Although I notice he does most of his content in voiceover now, so he obviously can't be arsed with that stuff so much now he has to put out regular content. Not that I blame him.

Also, unrelated, but when I saw the latest Smash reveal, my second thought after "Are they fucking kidding!?" was "I wish I could see Madhair's face when he sees this"  :)

Hahaha, mate, I was fucking steaming. Full-on angry with a videogame. The least interesting thing Nintendo could possibly have done. Astonishing.

colacentral

I'm with madhair on Arlo. Mainly because it's the shittest, most generic low effort template puppet imaginable, straight off the conveyor belt.

Kelvin

I quite like him, without going overboard about it. The puppet's just a gimmick he doesn't really make the most of, but he's pretty good / balanced in discussing Nintendo topics, including ones that don't often get discussed.

Quote from: madhair60 on January 17, 2020, 10:34:55 PM
Hahaha, mate, I was fucking steaming. Full-on angry with a videogame. The least interesting thing Nintendo could possibly have done. Astonishing.

Not a massive fan of Smash Bros, but I bought it for my 7 year old who's mental for it. He's spent the whole fight pass getting excited about who's coming and getting disappointed every time as it's some weeb shite or some old cunt he's never heard of.

Ferris

Not relevant to anything, but I got The Return of Obra Dinn on switch and have enjoyed it a lot.

Dewt

colacentral

Quote from: Huxleys Babkins on January 18, 2020, 07:07:26 PM
Not a massive fan of Smash Bros, but I bought it for my 7 year old who's mental for it. He's spent the whole fight pass getting excited about who's coming and getting disappointed every time as it's some weeb shite or some old cunt he's never heard of.

I think in fairness the DLC characters have been decent. They do lean a bit heavily towards anime but Persona 5 and Dragon Quest XI have been hugely popular in the last few years. Another FE character is a bit of a piss take but Piranha Plant was free, and I think Banjo and Terry are good, interesting additions that off-set the disappointment. Coming as the final character in the pack probably wound people up more than anything else.

I'd say a pokemon sword and shield character is nailed on for the next pack, to promote the DLC when it comes out.

Big Mclargehuge

Quote from: colacentral on January 19, 2020, 01:28:03 AM
I think in fairness the DLC characters have been decent. They do lean a bit heavily towards anime but Persona 5 and Dragon Quest XI have been hugely popular in the last few years. Another FE character is a bit of a piss take but Piranha Plant was free, and I think Banjo and Terry are good, interesting additions that off-set the disappointment. Coming as the final character in the pack probably wound people up more than anything else.

I'd say a pokemon sword and shield character is nailed on for the next pack, to promote the DLC when it comes out.

I've nearly finished the Spirit Board on Smash as of last night (1200 of 1379) having started in late December. So to celebrate I picked up the DLC in part to help mop up the dlc specific sprites but also to help extend the gameplay by another couple of hours. So far it's been pretty nice...those Dragon quest spirits can be an absolute pain in the dick though.

Also; Ended up buying a pro controller with a gift card I got for currys PC world...it's the shit. feels so damn good to play Smash and Mario Odyssey with. 

Beagle 2

Spyro's good innit? I bought it because I thought my son would like a cute dragon but I'm having a lot of fun with it. Are the flying stages insanely difficult or am I just cack?

Kelvin

Quote from: Big Mclargehuge on January 20, 2020, 10:25:38 AM
I've nearly finished the Spirit Board on Smash as of last night (1200 of 1379) having started in late December. So to celebrate I picked up the DLC in part to help mop up the dlc specific sprites but also to help extend the gameplay by another couple of hours. So far it's been pretty nice...those Dragon quest spirits can be an absolute pain in the dick though.

Spirit Board good innit, I really like it, too. It's a shame some fans are so obsessed with a story led single player experience when the game would have been much better just focusing on the spirit board and the decent, themed Classic Modes.   

Big Mclargehuge

Quote from: Kelvin on January 20, 2020, 08:05:43 PM
Spirit Board good innit, I really like it, too. It's a shame some fans are so obsessed with a story led single player experience when the game would have been much better just focusing on the spirit board and the decent, themed Classic Modes.

Oh I absolutely agree! I've never been one for the story led aspects of smash, it's usually totally 2 dimensional and is just a massive time killer...and when they've linked certain trophies/spirits to it in the past it makes me begrudge playing it. I love the spirit board idea (I.E fighting characters who have attributes of the spirit your trying to win) but I wish they'd beefed up the inventory page a bit...maybe included a bio and some appearences for the spirit you've won (Ala Melee, Brawl and Wii-U/3DS) it'd make it a much more worthwhile investment than just collecting the spirits to look at. I've been in this game now for nearly 100 hours and Im at the point where I've basically got to finish off classic mode and then just keep popping into the shop ocassionally to see if any spirits I havent got have materialised.

once im done with Smash I'll probably go back to Mario Odyssey for a bit and try to mop up the last of the moons there...and then theres Animal Crossing...my god...

madhair60

Quote from: Beagle 2 on January 20, 2020, 11:43:40 AM
Spyro's good innit? I bought it because I thought my son would like a cute dragon but I'm having a lot of fun with it. Are the flying stages insanely difficult or am I just cack?

They're very tough. And yeah, it's fucking great. Don't bother with 2 or 3 though.

Famous Mortimer

Saved up enough and bought a Switch yesterday, installed Puzzle Quest on it and had a lovely time. When I've done with that, I'll get that subscription thing that gives you the NES and SNES emulators and be terrible at Metroid on an entirely different platform. And I'll read back through this thread and see what are the best games to buy.

Big Mclargehuge

Theres a sale currently on both of the Yooka Laylee games which are pretty good value for money and they've discounted all the steamworld games drastically too (The first 2 I can say are pretty great) I've nearly finished Smash bros now so I'll be looking for something to occupy my time from here on in :)

Quote from: jobotic on January 13, 2020, 03:01:17 PM
Cheers. He saved up £11 and now its £30! So will keep looking.

Mario + Rabbids is back to £11 again until 23/02.

jobotic

Excellent, thanks for that. He can get it this week then. If I can get him off Zelda.

popcorn

I've played 30 minutes of The Return of the Obra Dinn and am bored and confused. So far it has amounted to repeatedly pressing a button to trigger essentially identical flashbacks and lots of reading. This is BORING.

madhair60

falafel

Quote from: popcorn on February 10, 2020, 11:32:20 AM
essentially identical flashbacks

Looking for the little differences is half of the point. If your tolerance for that is low and you don't like reading... That's kind of the game.

Ferris

Quote from: popcorn on February 10, 2020, 11:32:20 AM
I've played 30 minutes of The Return of the Obra Dinn and am bored and confused. So far it has amounted to repeatedly pressing a button to trigger essentially identical flashbacks and lots of reading. This is BORING.

I am delighted you aren't enjoying it.

popcorn

Quote from: falafel on February 10, 2020, 05:46:55 PM
Looking for the little differences is half of the point. If your tolerance for that is low and you don't like reading... That's kind of the game.

I fucking hate reading in games. It's BORING

Obra Dee is making me cross though. Loads of people have been telling me to play it and whenever I looked it up I thought it looked dull but finally I thought fuck it and now I'm playing it and it's BORING. It makes me go "???? why is this fun, I hate all my friends"

incidentally I really hate the name and trying to remember the name when typing or saying the name.

Ferris

Quote from: popcorn on February 11, 2020, 12:29:26 AM

Obra Dee is making me cross though. Loads of people have been telling me to play it and whenever I looked it up I thought it looked dull but finally I thought fuck it and now I'm playing it and it's BORING. It makes me go "???? why is this fun, I hate all my friends"

incidentally I really hate the name and trying to remember the name when typing or saying the name.

There's a bit where it gets good and you go "ooh!" but doesn't sound like you're there yet.

Obra Dinn, Obra Da, life goes on, bra!

madhair60

Quote from: popcorn on February 11, 2020, 12:29:26 AM

It's one of those games people pretend to like to impress others

Hobo

I don't suppose anyone has any informed opinion on American Fugitive, currently on sale?

Big Mclargehuge

4 new games have just been announced for the SNES and NES apps! (2 each) I hope you guys like Tennis, Boatracing and Ninja Gaiden rip offs!!!! (FFS...)

Famous Mortimer

I've been trying to play Metroid again, but even though I'm getting good at jumping up that big vertical room near the beginning, I'm still rubbish at it. Maybe I ought to watch a let's play or summat.

falafel

Quote from: madhair60 on February 11, 2020, 07:55:53 AM
It's one of those games people pretend to like to impress others

Is that... Do people do that?

I mean do people ACTUALLY do that?

Look, Obra Dinn fucked me right off for a couple of hours but in the end it turned out to be my favourite game of last year, though I couldn't really tell you why. I think the early game obtuseness is a real issue, but I might have enjoyed the rest less without it, so dunno.

Beagle 2

Im such a sad bastard that I'm quite excited to play Smash Tennis because I remember reading a really good review of it around 25 years ago and not having enough money to buy it. Justice will know
be SERVED (serving is a thing done at tennis).