Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 26, 2024, 01:42:54 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Nintendo Switch: Thread 2: The Drift

Started by madhair60, September 05, 2019, 11:28:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

are you a Switch Bitch

Yes
48 (60.8%)
No
6 (7.6%)
Raoul Moat
25 (31.6%)

Total Members Voted: 79

Kelvin

Quote from: imitationleather on March 18, 2020, 06:08:55 PM
It does sound perfect for our new forever indoors nothing lives.

Is coronvirus just a Nintendo marketing ploy?

Yeah, its the perfect game for a time of high anxiety and global panic. Like the calm music played at a Euthanasia Clinic.

madhair60

I love Animal Crossing for usually about a month then some aspect of the daily grind gets to me and I stop playing. It's really nice though.

Sheffield Wednesday

I once wasted much of two weeks in Bordeaux with my wife just doing the fishing. Day I got back, I literally winced at the thought and decided never again. It's a bag of shit.

I preordered it a month ago and will be playing from 00:00 tomorrow night.

Dewt

falafel

Quote from: Mango Chimes on March 18, 2020, 05:44:44 PM
Is there enough to it to keep you going? Or do you finish some sort of storyline fairly swiftly, and then repeat forever? I've got Fitness Boxing, which is both good and lazy as fuck, and it quite swiftly is just doing some exercise whilst looking at a screen, with some aggravatingly repetitive bits.

I'm 20 hours in, level 57, and think I've maybe got halfway through the story. You unlock exercises as you go and I still don't have them all ("mountain climber" next at level 59 I think).  Not a HUGE amount of variety between levels but just enough, and there are subquests and minigames and an offline mode where your controller counts how many times you squeeze the pilates ring when you're just milling about the house and you get rewarded in-game. And then I think there's a NG+ mode when you've finished the story. And stuff like some kind of endless battle/workout mode that I haven't played with yet.

So yeah, it's got a lot of longevity, and does give you an actual workout that gets harder as you progress. The reviews said 'oh ay it's not a replacement for a fitness regime' but that was games journos who only had a couple of weeks with it (understandably) and had only really got access to a pretty basic subset of activities. If you accept the basic commitment that you can't get anywhere without a bit of effort, and you're not just after a quick fix, it's a great combo of real exercise and guilt free JRPG grinding.

Mango Chimes

Thanks, that sounds good enough to me. Unfortunately, now I've decided to buy it, there's a global shortage (news articles in the last week blaming it on coronavirus-prompted demand) and it's sold out everywhere.

imitationleather

I've smashed open the family's Panic Buying fund and pre-ordered Animal Crossing.

Even if you don't get on with it, you can normally sell proper Nintendo games for 80% of their value on eBay, so you won't have lost much.

Crabwalk

I can't get over how twee and boring it all sounds. HOW CAN IT BE GOOD

brat-sampson

It's a little less twee than it looks, some of the characters can be surly buggers and it knows what it's about.  But yes, it's basically a chill grinding game you play over months if not years to see all the different events and gradually grow your town etc. If it sounds bad, I'd say don't get it, but if you liked Stardew or Harvest Moon or similar, it's a little like that, but with more chill/less activities. It's a game designed for you to drop in for an hour or two a few times a week.

Mango Chimes

Where's my Animal Crossing, Postman? WHERE IS IT?

Dewt

Quote from: brat-sampson on March 20, 2020, 10:18:07 AM
It's a little less twee than it looks, some of the characters can be surly buggers and it knows what it's about.
The subtle knowingness of the game is one of its best things.

So far I am thinking this is the best Animal Crossing yet. It's the perfect implementation.

My town is open, bitches. That's right, I'm saying bitches again. I've put some feelers out and bitches is now back on the whitelist.

imitationleather

Yeah I've been playing this all day. It's nice.

imitationleather

I didn't really appreciate that you could never change your island's name and so gave it a rubbish placeholder one. If only I'd thought about it properly and gone for Rape Is Good Village or something.

Jerzy Bondov

Doom 64 is out now. Never played it before. The level design is great, there's all this moving geometry that wouldn't have been possible in Doom 1 or 2. The levels look great as well, coloured lighting all over the shop. Shame about the shit looking plasticene monsters and boring reskinned guns. But it's more classic Doom on Switch.

Kelvin

Quote from: Jerzy Bondov on March 21, 2020, 11:56:02 AM
Doom 64 is out now. Never played it before. The level design is great, there's all this moving geometry that wouldn't have been possible in Doom 1 or 2. The levels look great as well, coloured lighting all over the shop. Shame about the shit looking plasticene monsters and boring reskinned guns. But it's more classic Doom on Switch.

Doom 64 is my favourite classic doom. It's got the gameplay of 1 and 2, paired with a far superior atmosphere. The music and lighting is creepy as fuck. I might buy it on Switch myself, actually.   

Mango Chimes

Whilst I was waiting for Pelly to drop off my copy of Animal Crossing, I downloaded the Trials of Mana demo and it is fucking shit.

peanutbutter

Burnout Paradise is coming to switch 👌

Mango Chimes

Apparently there's another free Arms testpunch coming, for those who like that sort of thing. I have no more information and can't be bothered looking it up.

brat-sampson

There was a whole mini-direct just randomly this afternoon. Mini in terms of the scope of the games more than the length though, at nearly half an hour. Covers basically what to expect March through June 2020, and some things that are just '2020', at which point in the crater that was E3 I'm sure they'll drop another one.

Basically you'll get Xenoblade Definitive May 29th.

Mr Driller Drill Land is coming in June. Best game on the GameCube, finally in English.

Quote from: Huxleys Babkins on March 26, 2020, 04:02:34 PM
Mr Driller Drill Land is coming in June. Best game on the GameCube, finally in English.

They'd better not ruin the music.

Dewt

I have been wanting to play Mr. Driller since I saw a friend play a burned disc on his Dreamcast back in 2000. It was always too much effort though.

I didn't know it was ever out on Gamecube. Seems like the wrong platform.

Mango Chimes

Quote from: Dewt on March 26, 2020, 07:16:13 PM
I have been wanting to play Mr. Driller since I saw a friend play a burned disc on his Dreamcast back in 2000. It was always too much effort though.

It's been on most platforms since, hasn't it? I'm going to be all over this, assuming it isn't £25. It's definitely going to be £25.

Dewt

I guess I mean "it is too much effort for me to do anything that requires anything beyond pretty much the game just materialising in front of me"

Mango Chimes

Extremely frustrated that they've released an update to Ring Fit, where you can dance to Splatoon music, whilst it still isn't available to buy anywhere.

Famous Mortimer

Very much looking forward to "What The Golf", as I saw a trailer for it the other day and it looks lovely.

falafel

Quote from: Mango Chimes on March 29, 2020, 04:43:43 PM
Extremely frustrated that they've released an update to Ring Fit, where you can dance to Splatoon music, whilst it still isn't available to buy anywhere.

It's good, by the way

imitationleather

Currently got Murder By Numbers on the download. I see The Touryst is reduced in price at the mo too. I remember that getting good reviews but obviously you cannot trust video game reviews. Anyone played it?

I'm going to get one of the expensive marquee Switch games when I'm paid next Friday. Thinking Zelda: Breath of the Wild. Exactly why is it £60 though?