Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 02:26:57 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Nintendo Switch: Thread 2: The Drift

Started by madhair60, September 05, 2019, 11:28:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

are you a Switch Bitch

Yes
48 (60.8%)
No
6 (7.6%)
Raoul Moat
25 (31.6%)

Total Members Voted: 79

Famous Mortimer

Quote from: buntyman on July 09, 2020, 11:27:14 PM
Came out about a month ago I think.
Oops, I should pay closer attention. My joycons still seem okay (apart from the A button sometimes not registering when I use them disconnected) so I've had no problems so far. Fun physics and the game has a decent sense of humour too.

petercussing

Grrrr, i preordered the nu deadly prem from game and got all the bonus content and not the actual game!!!! Noooooooooooo, how can they keep me from this wundertreat!

Jerzy Bondov

I like What the Golf but more for the laughs than the challenge, so the extra goals just kind of annoy me. Easy enough to ignore and go back to having a laff though. I traitorously signed up for a free month of Apple Arcade to play it and Tangle Tower, leaving my Switch watching jealously from across the room. Don't worry mate they don't have Witcher 3 on iPad, you're safe.

Timothy

What do you all think about the new Paper Mario game? Still not sure if I should keep my preorder.

Bazooka

Sticker Star was pretty trash, probably the only Mario game I have never finished (minus Odyssey because I don't own a switch still)

madhair60

Sticker Star was great and so was Colour Splash so I'm all about the new one. I'm thrilled that they've ditched the boring, rote, cunty RPG shit in favour of actual exploration and lateral thinking. Brilliant!

Kelvin

Quote from: Timothy on July 10, 2020, 07:06:30 PM
What do you all think about the new Paper Mario game? Still not sure if I should keep my preorder.

I won't be bothering unless the reviews are great. I really dislike the mess of an art style, and think the game looks empty and uninspired. A boss that's literally just a roll of sellotape, for fucks sake. Nintendo and Intelligent Systems clearly aren't passionate about the series, so neither am I. Paper Mario now seems to fall into the same bracket as "also-ran" titles like Mario Tennis and Mario Party; something half-baked to put out when they have a gap in the schedule. 

madhair60

Can't agree with that at all. I haven't played this one yet (obviously) but Paper Mario has been the series where they push the boat out with the gameplay for three titles now, assuming this one maintains the standards. The reception Sticker Star and Colour Splash got was so depressing to me, these fantastic games with actual puzzles and actual exploration were just shat on from a great height by basically everyone. I loved them to death and based on the demo yesterday this will be another go-around of that style; that field they showed early on with all the Toads hidden everywhere just put a huge grin on my face. Another game of discovery.

I do get that it's not for everyone - and I tend to agree with criticisms of the battle systems, especially in Colour Splash - but I wish more people would give them a chance, they have so much charm and they're just so carefully, cleverly designed to make you think outside the box.

I also hope they make a Thousand Year Door remake just to shut everyone the fuck up.

Timothy

Quote from: Kelvin on July 11, 2020, 03:54:17 AM
I won't be bothering unless the reviews are great. I really dislike the mess of an art style, and think the game looks empty and uninspired. A boss that's literally just a roll of sellotape, for fucks sake. Nintendo and Intelligent Systems clearly aren't passionate about the series, so neither am I. Paper Mario now seems to fall into the same bracket as "also-ran" titles like Mario Tennis and Mario Party; something half-baked to put out when they have a gap in the schedule.

Yeah, I agree. The first two Paper Mario games were great. Also loved Mario and Luigi. But everything after that was just so incredibly dull imo and this seems to be the same. No exp, a weird battlesystem, the slowmo confetti building. Even the devs in the Treehouse tried to ignore the battles as much as possible. The atmosphere and dialogue seems great but that's it. I'd rather have a new Paper Mario RPG.

Think I'm gonna cancel the pre-order and wait for reviews.

Sheffield Wednesday

I only ever played the Wii one and quite liked it, but I don't really want to play anything where I have to think and remember and talk to people in towns and stuff. I'm thick in that way, I just tune out. Same with stuff like the puzzles in Uncharted. I just look at them and then look at a walk through. Fuck rotating something and looking at shadows or whatever. No.

Famous Mortimer

Enjoying the heck out of What The Golf? I'm currently stuck on one of the bonus rounds, which is Super Hot-inspired, but running in real time.

Dewt

It's fine. It's not as charming as it thinks it is. I need better than standard Portal references. The Super Hot bit is good though. The difficulty curve is crap, I don't find any real challenge in any of it, it's just slightly fiddly sometimes. I have absolutely torn through the game. The core gameplay of this isn't that good. Well, there isn't core gameplay really, that's the point of the game. It's just a sequence of "wouldn't it be funny if" and I guess it slightly is, sometimes, but it makes me itch for something that is consistent and also good. Feels like 15 Flash games stuck together.

Got the drift on my left joycon. Absolute shite.

Beagle 2

I got the drift in both on my joy con within a week of each other and couldn't be arsed to send them to get fixed so I invested in these, the HORI split pad pro. They're brilliant. Basically turns your Switch into a pro controller, essential for stuff like Minecraft where you need fiddly precise controls. Only drawback is there's no rumble (arsed) and no gyro, that last one is a pain for FPS games but at least it's possible to actually aim using the stick.

Yeah, they look great, but the lack of rumble is an arse when trying to catch fish in Animal Crossing and the like. I'd be all over them otherwise.

I'm thinking of getting one of these clips and just using my Pro Controller for handheld use:

That said, I'm going to have to replace the stick anyway as my son uses the joycon grip when playing on the telly.

Kelvin

Paper Mario reviews are very mediocre. Definitely won't be bothering.

petercussing

^^ Haha that's funny, cos i went and had a look after you posting and the first 3 i read were really positive. Got that coming so we'll see, i guess.

brat-sampson

Eh, it's averaging an 8/10. I think from reading a couple you can tell if it's something you're in the mood for or not. I'm still tempted tbh, a lighthearted romp around the mushroom kingdom with some good quality jokes might be a nice antidote from TLOU2, even if the combat / 'RPG' side is a bit of a wash.

Timothy

Canceled my pre-order. Apparently the game is charming and the dialogue and world great but most of the reviewers said they tried to ignore the combat and random encounters because it's not that fun.

Waiting for user reviews before I decide if I want the game or not but if the combat is indeed dull and repetitive I won't be buying this game.

Ferris

I really liked Paper Mario, and am a fan of that RPG/turn based combat style.

...still not that enthused about it though.

imitationleather

Quote from: Beagle 2 on July 15, 2020, 10:00:22 AM
I got the drift in both on my joy con within a week of each other and couldn't be arsed to send them to get fixed so I invested in these, the HORI split pad pro. They're brilliant. Basically turns your Switch into a pro controller, essential for stuff like Minecraft where you need fiddly precise controls. Only drawback is there's no rumble (arsed) and no gyro, that last one is a pain for FPS games but at least it's possible to actually aim using the stick.

I've got one of these arriving TODAY.

jobotic

Just done Divine Beast Vah Rudania, well easy. Only got Vah Naboris McWhirter to go and then I'm coming for you Catastrophe Waitress Ganon.

Divine Beasts are much easier to defeat than those Lynels and the big fat blokes aren't they? I really can't do them.

Kelvin

Quote from: jobotic on July 16, 2020, 02:28:02 PM
Just done Divine Beast Vah Rudania, well easy. Only got Vah Naboris McWhirter to go and then I'm coming for you Catastrophe Waitress Ganon.

Divine Beasts are much easier to defeat than those Lynels and the big fat blokes aren't they? I really can't do them.

They are easier, yes. Presumably because they expect every player to do the Divine Beasts, whereas the Lynels are meant to be for people who want a challenge.

That said, the boss of Naboris is the hardest enemy in the main game, I reckon. I can kill a Lynel is about 5 seconds flat these days, but I still have trouble with that boss.

imitationleather

I've been playing Luigi's Mansion 3 the past couple of days. Just so much fun. I think this is the most I've enjoyed any game I've played on the Switch.

It's probably because I like Luigi as a character far more than that fucking cuck Mario.

Kelvin

Yeah, Luigi Mansion 3 is great. Almost every floor had me grinning like an idiot, and none of them feel too long. It's maybe a tiny bit low key in the earlier, more traditional floors, but once you get a few more up, probably around the concert hall, it really does become an absolute joy.

imitationleather

I'm at the concert hall now and it's pretty much been a non-stop blast all the way through so far.

Luigi's Mansion 2 was probably my favourite game on the 3DS. I just love the concept of this game.

Kelvin

Quote from: imitationleather on July 18, 2020, 08:37:20 PM
I'm at the concert hall now and it's pretty much been a non-stop blast all the way through so far.

Luigi's Mansion 2 was probably my favourite game on the 3DS. I just love the concept of this game.

The early floors aren't bad, but they're more, I dunno, mundane than the vast majority of the game that lies ahead. If you're not doing so already, try to get the special gems on each floor, as they're often tied to the most imaginative puzzles and come complete with some brilliant unique animations.

Chedney Honks

Thanks, Kelv. I actually dropped LM3 because it was plodding a bit around the fourth/fifth floor but if its moves through the gears from there I'll get back to it.