Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 02:07:07 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Nintendo Switch: Thread 2: The Drift

Started by madhair60, September 05, 2019, 11:28:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

are you a Switch Bitch

Yes
48 (60.8%)
No
6 (7.6%)
Raoul Moat
25 (31.6%)

Total Members Voted: 79

Kelvin

Quote from: Chedney Honks on July 18, 2020, 10:15:28 PM
Thanks, Kelv. I actually dropped LM3 because it was plodding a bit around the fourth/fifth floor but if its moves through the gears from there I'll get back to it.

Definitely. As I say, the early floors aren't bad, but they didn't wow me in the way that the latter two thirds of the game did. Every floor has a different theme, and every room is a brilliant spin on it, with several little hidden surprises in each. The fundamental gameplay doesn't change too much, but the puzzles are inventive, and the level design is dense and imaginative.

Consignia

Yeah, apart from a couple of control issues I had, I loved Luigi's Mansion 3. Looking back on the old thread, I mentioned I didn't like the final boss and it soured the experience, but since I completely forgot about that, I think it stands a testament to how great an experience the rest of it was.

Timothy

Luigi's Mansion is imo one of the best Switch titles out there. Absolutely loved that game.

Decided to get Paper Mario after all (nice 45 euros sale at a nearby store). The Treehouse managed to make it seem like an incredibly dull experience while in reality it's a lot of fun.

The dialogue is hilarious, the soundtrack is absolutely amazing and the story is (especially for a Mario game) quite sinister. I love interacting with the environment, saving toads and throwing confetti around. Still have to get used to the battle system but it's more fun then it looked.

Kelvin

There's a Mini Direct starting in a few minutes, if anyone cares. Focus on 3rd Party, apparently. Won't be too exciting, but it's only 8 minutes.

popcorn

I will not be satisfied until that rumoured F-Zero reboot is announced.

Kelvin

popcorn

I assume F-Zero was 3 or 4 of them? Can't wait.

Consignia

And one of them was really just DLC.

To be fair, Nintendo didn't really hype, it was other people coming up ludicrous lists setting expectations high. Still, it would be nice to see some new Nintendo games on the horizon.

Kelvin

Quote from: Consignia on July 20, 2020, 03:14:58 PM
And one of them was really just DLC.

To be fair, Nintendo didn't really hype, it was other people coming up ludicrous lists setting expectations high. Still, it would be nice to see some new Nintendo games on the horizon.

Agreed. I do wonder if this year was always going to be so barren for Nintendo, or if Covid has delayed a bunch of their games into next year. At the very least, they must have had something planned for E3.

madhair60

Kelvin

Bazooka

Quote from: madhair60 on July 20, 2020, 03:27:05 PM
Nintendo is doomed.

Well at least Sega does what Nintendon't,........oh.

Consignia

Quote from: Kelvin on July 20, 2020, 03:38:23 PM

Didn't know Mario was such a deviant into his asphyxiwanks. I would have solidly placed that ball in Yoshi's court.

petercussing

Chedney Honks

About as insubstantial as it gets, but I expected little more. Apparently Japan has really struggled with productivity and comms through WFH. I dunno why but I wonder whether their management is more about direction than delegation, and so it's a lot harder to manage projects without breathing down the cunts' necks.

Kelvin

Quote from: Chedney Honks on July 20, 2020, 04:43:22 PM
About as insubstantial as it gets, but I expected little more. Apparently Japan has really struggled with productivity and comms through WFH. I dunno why but I wonder whether their management is more about direction than delegation, and so it's a lot harder to manage projects without breathing down the cunts' necks.

Yeah, I don't really understand how, but I've repeatedly heard it said that Japan's infrastucture isn't suited to working from home. Could it be internet related? Tied to home computer setups? Business culture? I've no idea, but that's the line I've heard touted by games media.

popcorn

Japan's infrastructure isn't suited to working in an office, let alone from home. I speak from gruelling professional experience there

Kelvin

Quote from: popcorn on July 20, 2020, 04:57:18 PM
Japan's infrastructure isn't suited to working in an office, let alone from home. I speak from gruelling professional experience there

In what way?

Kelvin

This made me smile:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oRrVwfp0CXg

Despite being the most counter-intuitive company on the planet, I do love seeing Nintendo at their most creative and bizarre. Not something I'll be getting at 37 years old, but as stuff like this goes, it's pleasingly odd. 

popcorn

Quote from: Kelvin on July 20, 2020, 06:21:45 PM
In what way?

I worked at a game company in Tokyo for three years. I'm not going to say which but they've done stuff on games lots of people here have played. I don't know how representative the experience was of other companies, but here was my experience.

The work culture was pretty horrible, and the games industry is pretty hip by Japanese office standards (so no work attire, thank fuck). Bland, cramped office without much communal space. No food provided. Unspoken rule to never be the first person to leave the office, resulting in a depressing game of late-night chicken. People would be given jobs to do that they'd finish by midday and then sit at their desks with spreadsheets open, holding business folders with one hand and playing mobile games on their other, until they felt it was the minimum acceptable time to go home.

No/crap management. The person I reported to was a steely faced mystery man - I'm not even sure he knew my name and I didn't know his. My team was constantly working to basically no goals, and had endless meetings in which senior managers would literally go to sleep, no decisions were taken and the whole thing would be repeated next month. Crap employees were not dealt with but quietly moved to other areas of the building where they opened spreadsheets on their monitors and slept at their desks. It was horrible.

Actually now I've said all that working from home might solve many of those problems.

The single thing that was cool about it was working in an office where I knew some famous cool Japanese games had been worked on and seeing art by cool Japanese game dudes on the walls. That was it. Worst job I've ever had.

imitationleather

Quote from: Kelvin on July 20, 2020, 06:26:16 PM
This made me smile:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oRrVwfp0CXg

Despite being the most counter-intuitive company on the planet, I do love seeing Nintendo at their most creative and bizarre. Not something I'll be getting at 37 years old, but as stuff like this goes, it's pleasingly odd. 

Haha that's amazing.

Chedney Honks

Quote from: popcorn on July 20, 2020, 06:31:02 PM
I worked at a game company in Tokyo for three years. I'm not going to say which but they've done stuff on games lots of people here have played.

Localisation on Gal*Gun 2?

popcorn

Actually now that I think about it the best thing was definitely hearing anecdotes from various industry people about Japanese game dev gods, like how much of a diva Fumito Ueda is and the fact that apparently Kojima makes employees who displease him sit facing the wall.

madhair60

I worked at a game company in Tokyo for three years. I'm not going to say which but they've done stuff on games lots of people here have played. I don't know how representative the experience was of other companies, but here was my experience.

The work culture was pretty horrible, and the games industry is pretty hip by Japanese office standards (so no work attire, thank fuck). Bland, cramped office without much communal space. No food provided. Unspoken rule to never be the first person to leave the office, resulting in a depressing game of late-night chicken. People would be given jobs to do that they'd finish by midday and then sit at their desks with spreadsheets open, holding business folders with one hand and playing mobile games on their other, until they felt it was the minimum acceptable time to go home.

No/crap management. The person I reported to was a steely faced mystery man - I'm not even sure he knew my name and I didn't know his. My team was constantly working to basically no goals, and had endless meetings in which senior managers would literally go to sleep, no decisions were taken and the whole thing would be repeated next month. Crap employees were not dealt with but quietly moved to other areas of the building where they opened spreadsheets on their monitors and slept at their desks. It was horrible.

Actually now I've said all that working from home might solve many of those problems.

The single thing that was cool about it was working in an office where I knew some famous cool Japanese games had been worked on and seeing art by cool Japanese game dudes on the walls. That was it. Worst job I've ever had.

Right, none of this happened, you worked as a tea boy at Jagex and got fired for writing the Facebook status "poonscape"

popcorn

Once when I was on the dole they found me a job at Jagex and I had to apply. I never thought they'd actually be able to find me a games job and they called my bluff. I managed to stretch it out by accidentally forgetting to include work samples in my application etc, buying me enough time to get the fuck out of dodge.

Kelvin

Wow. Sounds ridiculous. Over here, people are starting to speak out about crunch and unhealthy work cultures, but western media inevitably doesn't hear much about the Japanese ones.

popcorn

The odd thing is that I've done crunch in UK game devs and the difference is that while it is awful it is hugely productive. You're under huge deadline pressure and the work gets fucking cranked out because the alternative is oblivion. I actually don't know if games like The Last of Us would get made at all if it weren't for the crunch - it would take two or three times longer. (Note: this is not a defence of crunch, just an observation.)

Whereas in the Tokyo job, people were working without any goals or direction, often doing no work at all, but you had to pretend you were doing loads of work even late into the night. Even though that's what everyone else was doing too and everyone knew everyone else was bullshitting. It was just wildly inefficient and weird.

Anyway sorry for hijacking the Nintendo thread to moan about all this, it's what you're all getting today instead of Nintendo games I suppose.

Jerzy Bondov

Chedney Honks

Quote from: popcorn on July 20, 2020, 08:42:48 PM
Anyway sorry for hijacking the Nintendo thread to moan about all this, it's what you're all getting today instead of Nintendo games I suppose.

Far from it. It's really interesting.

I'd be interested in anything you have to share about those days.