Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 10:56:13 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Nintendo Switch: Thread 2: The Drift

Started by madhair60, September 05, 2019, 11:28:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

are you a Switch Bitch

Yes
48 (60.8%)
No
6 (7.6%)
Raoul Moat
25 (31.6%)

Total Members Voted: 79

Quote from: madhair60 on September 20, 2019, 10:48:24 AM
They should put Danganronpa on the Switch TO BE FUCKING HONEST.

Seen you banging on about this and only just realised you're not talking about

ONECHANBARA

Hahaha.

madhair60

Yeah too much japanese shit has the same basic name. Danganronpa (meaningless) should just be called KID KILL 40,000

madhair60

careful mate, monokuma that

monokuma there mate

careful

Consignia

Is untitled goose game out yet? Was still locked last time I saw. Nintendo are basically giving it to me for free because I'm so ace at Tetris.

Beagle 2

Starfox is still fucking amazing, F-Zero is still fucking amazing. I can't stop playing all these SNES games, obviously I've played them constantly over the years on various emulators but they're a different level on here, an absolute joy to pick up where you left off on the telly or handheld, and they look a million dollars.

Just get the rest of your old games on here for ancient confused sods like me Nintendo you weeping orifices.

brat-sampson

Far enough to speak some on somnium now. Main thing to get out of the way is that this isn't really like 999 or Danganronpa. The gameplay elements are nowhere near as frequent or involved as the later and it doesn't have puzzles in the same way as the former. Think of it more as a straight Visual Novel with Adventure Game elements, and even those are more like a bizarro version of the Telltale scenes where you're walking around interacting with stuff.

However, I'm still really enjoying it. It's more of a standard procedure murder mystery, but it's never on you to solve things and the game all focuses around one case. Also your left eye houses a sentient AI named Aiba and you can enter the dreamworld of various characters at times. Plus some sideline discussions into Egyptian mythology, secret societies, alien intelligences, parallel worlds and all that stuff. It's no Dear Esther by any means.

There way you choose to solve puzzles in the dreamworld is where your story branches come from. The way your actions in the Somniums can affect the real life story works as a system and you can jump to any scene at any time through a handy flow chart, but the suggestion is to play through to one ending before messing around too much.

The bulk of the game is traveling to a scene in the 'real world' and interviewing people, with locations having optional hotspots to look at that might give extra dumb jokes or dialogue. There are looots of dumb sex jokes and puns, btw, talk of lanterns feeling like breasts, stereo systems looking like dicks etc, some funnier than others. When you've asked about everything you can, you're allowed to move in to the next destination and repeat. Sometimes the order is fixed, others you have like 3 or 4 to choose from, but so then you just hit them all and then progress again.

I can see people who go in expecting court cases or tense murder trials or brain testing logic puzzles being disappointed, because this isn't that, but it is another complexly woven and well told story from Uchikoshi, and I'm definitely enjoying being along for the ride.

Famous Mortimer

Anyone who plays Puzzle Quest, let me know if it's still as ace as I remember so I can go and buy a Switch with my first paycheck at the new job.

madhair60

Quote from: Famous Mortimer on September 24, 2019, 02:40:22 PM
Anyone who plays Puzzle Quest, let me know if it's still as ace as I remember so I can go and buy a Switch with my first paycheck at the new job.

It rules, dogg. Same exact game, but with the 360 DLC and a new DLC expansion.

Pdine

Quote from: Famous Mortimer on September 24, 2019, 02:40:22 PM

It's just the same really. The conversion seems to have been done by using Unity, so it's very likely to be out on a lot of other platforms in due course. 

NJ Uncut

Top 5 games on this? might Black Friday one with OIL MONEY

Five best exclusive single player:

Breath of the Wild
Mario Odyssey
Fire Emblem: Three Houses
Astral Chain
Bayonetta 2 (or Xenoblade Chronicles 2)

Five best exclusive multiplayer/online:

Mario Kart 8 Deluxe
Splatoon 2
Super Mario Maker 2
Super Smash Bros Ultimate
ARMS (or Tetris 99)

Ten best third party or ports or other exclusives not in top 5 (personal tastes abound, no shmups):

Dark Souls Remastered
Cuphead
Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze
Link's Awakening
Monster Hunter Generations Ultimate
Daemon X Machina
Virtua Racing
Hyrule Warriors DX
Final Fantasy VII
Street Fighter 30th Anniversary Collection

Top five shmups:

Rolling Gunner
Psyvariar Delta
Ikaruga
Danmaku Unlimited 3
Darius Cozmic Collection

Kelvin

Quote from: The Boston Crab on September 26, 2019, 08:16:23 PM

Breath of the Wild
Mario Odyssey
Astral Chain

Five best exclusive multiplayer/online:

Mario Kart 8 Deluxe
Splatoon 2
Super Mario Maker 2
Super Smash Bros Ultimate
ARMS (or Tetris 99)

Ten best third party or ports or other exclusives not in top 5 (personal tastes abound, no shmups):

Dark Souls Remastered
Cuphead
Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze
Link's Awakening

I'd agree with most of this, although I definitely wouldn't put ARMS anywhere on this list (despite it being quite good), nor Xenoblade 2 (despite enjoying it a lot in spite of its many, many, many problems). They're good in their own quirky ways, but not games you should be buying first on a console with so many quality games.

Best games imo are Breath of the Wild, Mario Odyssey, Astral Chain, Link's Awakening, and Mario Maker 2. Smash Bros: Ultimate and Mario Kart 8 Deluxe, if you have friends to play couch multiplayer.

Breath of the Wild is a masterpiece and the one game I'd push even to people who weren't traditionally fans of the series/genre.

Indie games; I'd also add Celeste, Binding of Issac, Steam World Dig 2, Ape Out , Shovel Knight: Treasure Trove, and the excellent (albeit hard in later stages) couch co-op game Overcooked to Bosto's list, if you haven't already played them elsewhere.

Top ten lil indie gems:

Binding of Isaac Afterbirth Plus
Celeste
Dead Cells
Hollow Knight (even tho I don't like it)
Lapis X Labyrinth
Just Shapes & Beats
Rocket League
Black Bird
Undertale
Sayonara Wild Hearts

Top ten tits games:

Fire Emblem Three Houses
Gunbird 2
Blade Strangers
BlazBlue Cross Tag Battle
Phoenix Wright Ace Attorney Trilogy
Bonus: Bayonetta (more gooch crash zooms than tits)

Best of the rest:

Captain Toad Treasure Tracker
Dragonball FighterZ
Resident Evil 4
Valkyria Chronicles
REmake
Skyrim
Mario + Rabbids Kingdom Battle
Minecraft
Untitled Goose Game
Neo Geo The Last Blade
Neo Geo Blazing Star
Neo Geo Garou: Mark of the Wolves
Windjammers
Axiom Verge
Bleed/Bleed 2
Doom
Devil Engine
Diablo 3
Dragon's Dogma
Downwell
Gorogoa
Hyper Light Drifter
Into the Breach
Lumines Remastered
Momodora: Reverie Under the Moonlight
New Super Mario Bros U: Deluxe
Octopath Traveler
Oxenfree
Pub Raper
Slay the Spire
Sonic Mania
Stardew Valley
Steam World Dig 2
Super Hydorah
Tengai
VOEZ
Yoku's Island Express
Cave Story+
Dragon Blaze
Enter the Gungeon
Golf Story
Puyo Puyo Tetris
Pub Raper DX
Super Bomberman R
Sine Mora Ex
Ultra Street Fighter 2
Sisters Royale

Quote from: Kelvin on September 26, 2019, 08:39:28 PM
I'd agree with most of this, although I definitely wouldn't put ARMS anywhere on this list (despite it being quite good), nor Xenoblade 2 (despite enjoying it a lot in spite of its many, many, many problems). They're good in their own quirky ways, but not games you should be buying first on a console with so many quality games.

Best games imo are Breath of the Wild, Mario Odyssey, Astral Chain, Link's Awakening, and Mario Maker 2. Smash Bros: Ultimate and Mario Kart 8 Deluxe, if you have friends to play couch multiplayer.

Totally agree with you. There aren't that many offline single player only bangers but the ones which bang bang hard. Nobody needs XC2 or ARMS (even less so), I agree. I love the latter but online is basically dead/high level only. That said, I'd say they occupy their spaces in those specific lists pretty well.

Timothy

Quote from: The Boston Crab on September 26, 2019, 08:16:23 PM

Breath of the Wild
Mario Odyssey
Astral Chain

Good list but wouldn't advice Xenoblade. Big disappointment imo. I would swap that for Mario and the Rabbids. That game was great.

Mario + Rabbids is pretty shit as well. I was just trying to go for the big single player adventure kind of games.

NJ Uncut

NJ Uncut

Hmm, cheers yous, still not sure but I'll wait til Black Friday;

Zelda a defo
Mario

REALLY interested in the goddamn SNES games. I never had a SNES as a wee un :(

I want Animal Crossing!

Any Metroid coming out?
=

Timothy

Quote from: The Boston Crab on September 28, 2019, 02:31:35 PM
Mario + Rabbids is pretty shit as well. I was just trying to go for the big single player adventure kind of games.

I thought Mario and Rabbids was great. Fun turn based Xcom light game. Definitely worth playing imo.

Thursday

Mario and Rabbids: X-Com for children
Fire Emblem: X-Com for Hentai fans

madhair60

tbf X-Com is also X-Com for hentai fans.

Consignia

Let's just say all people into turned based tactic games are vile perverts. You should see the sick stuff that Civilisation fans are into.

Quote from: Consignia on September 29, 2019, 01:37:51 PM
Let's just say all people into turned based tactic games are vile perverts. You should see the sick stuff that Civilisation fans are into.

Speaking of which, the Civ6 expansions are finally coming to the Switch version in mid-November. (Same day the whole lot is released on poostation and xpox.)

TrenterPercenter

So should I get one of these as soon as poss or wait for the Black Friday?

Also i've not seen anyone mention Super Mario Party or Mario Tennis Aces are they not up to scratch?

Twed

Do not bother with either, any appeal they had is dead now.

Kelvin

Quote from: TrenterPercenter on September 29, 2019, 07:19:17 PM
Also i've not seen anyone mention Super Mario Party or Mario Tennis Aces are they not up to scratch?

No. Both series have seriously gone off the boil since they were taken over by new, external development studios. They've effectively become lazy, low-content filler titles to drop in quiet periods between the bigger, highly polished titles that everyone likes and remembers.

They're Nintendo at their most complacent and unambitious. Paper Mario is another example, sadly.     

Kelvin

Actually, that's slightly unfair on the Paper Mario games. I get the impression the problems with that series are a creative choice to make them more accessible, whereas The Mario Tennis and Mario Party games have just become filler tiles Nintendo intends to be cheap, content lite and quick to develop.

madhair60

Quote from: Kelvin on September 29, 2019, 08:07:46 PM
They're Nintendo at their most complacent and unambitious. Paper Mario is another example, sadly.

I'll never understand this commonplace notion about Paper Mario. The latter two games in the series are increasingly creative in their gameplay, presenting scenarios more akin to computer adventure games. Unlike the first two, the worlds actually reward exploration and don't give up their secrets without a fight, making them two of the most enjoyable Mario games I've ever played (and in the top three games on their respective systems). The way the stages and their challenges unfold is a constant joy to me.

That's not to say that I don't care for Thousand Year Door to an extent, but I'd trade it in happily for Sticker Star or Colour Splash any old day.

Edit: great, you've walked it back a bit. lol.