Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 04:51:34 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Nintendo Switch: Thread 2: The Drift

Started by madhair60, September 05, 2019, 11:28:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

are you a Switch Bitch

Yes
48 (60.8%)
No
6 (7.6%)
Raoul Moat
25 (31.6%)

Total Members Voted: 79

C_Larence

I don't think he was going for the shortcut. The way he was tentatively approaching the slide at the beginning shows he just wasn't familiar with the game imo. Weren't they meant to play Wipeout instead?

Ferris

And my mate who got my one for the cost of a pint (because it were shite)

Hand Solo

Quote from: C_Larence on August 05, 2020, 09:07:57 PM
I don%u2019t think he was going for the shortcut. The way he was tentatively approaching the slide at the beginning shows he just wasn%u2019t familiar with the game imo. Weren%u2019t they meant to play Wipeout instead?

Look more to me like he was approaching slowly so he could line up the angle correctly before picking up speed sliding down, the fact he starts jumping when he gets towards the edge to slow him down again seems like another tactic for him to slow down Mario to line it up right, and he was almost on the right spot.. he only missed the bottom section slightly. What are the chances if he was a newb?

It is indeed an enduring mystery for the Sega ages.

C_Larence

Quote from: Hand Solo on August 05, 2020, 09:15:11 PM
Look more to me like he was approaching slowly so he could line up the angle correctly before picking up speed sliding down, the fact he starts jumping when he gets towards the edge to slow him down again seems like another tactic for him to slow down Mario to line it up right, and he was almost on the right spot.. he only missed the bottom section slightly. What are the chances if he was a newb?

It is indeed an enduring mystery for the Sega ages.

I'm inclined to believe his position was just a coincidence, seems to me he was just slowing himself down to prolong his time, without realising that doing so would make controlling mario impossible. It also doesn't make any sense that the timer starts before either of them get on the slide, that's what bugs me the most.

madhair60

Quote from: popcorn on August 05, 2020, 10:23:16 AM
what's the point of the moon power-up, that gives you 3 1ups, when they could just have given you 3 1-up mushrooms?

because finding a Moon is fucking cool? i'm so glad you're not in charge of video games.

popcorn

fuck off madhair. do you really have to load every fucking post with so much spite?

there are loads of bits where they just shower you in 1-ups and it's way cooler because it feels like you've won the lottery.

Chedney Honks

Remember when a load of fannies said the Switch was gonna tank after year one and I said just wait til Smash, Poke and AnCro come out

AnCro - 22m copies sold in three months during Switch stock shortage.

Poke - 18m copies

Smash 19.999999999m copies

Switch is pissing Switch sales, 60m.

Wish I'd put a bet on it for Russian roulette or just straight bullet between the eyes.

Too bad, fannies.

BLAMMM BLAMMM BLAMMM

Oh crap now I have PTSD from killing people

BLAMMM

colacentral

Quote from: C_Larence on August 05, 2020, 09:31:31 PM
I'm inclined to believe his position was just a coincidence, seems to me he was just slowing himself down to prolong his time, without realising that doing so would make controlling mario impossible. It also doesn't make any sense that the timer starts before either of them get on the slide, that's what bugs me the most.

Yeah, that's what it is. He's pulling back on mario to make him go down the slide as slow as possible, not realising that when you have no momentum it's impossible to turn the corners.

madhair60

Quote from: popcorn on August 06, 2020, 12:08:18 AM
fuck off madhair. do you really have to load every fucking post with so much spite?

sorry

Dog Botherer

has anyone else successfully dealt with the flashing green light of death or am I fucked

Kelvin

Quote from: Dog Botherer on August 11, 2020, 02:58:24 AM
has anyone else successfully dealt with the flashing green light of death or am I fucked

I've never heard of that. What's flashing? A light on the console?

EDIT: https://www.imore.com/how-fix-blinking-green-light-your-nintendo-switch-dock

^ Tried this?

Dog Botherer

Quote from: Kelvin on August 11, 2020, 03:07:34 AM
I've never heard of that. What's flashing? A light on the console?

EDIT: https://www.imore.com/how-fix-blinking-green-light-your-nintendo-switch-dock

^ Tried this?

cheers. looks like the dock is fucked, just thankful that the wife's 600+ hours in Animal Crossing aren't binned. gonna try it on a friend's dock to make sure there's nothing wrong with the console, hopefully we can get a new one for cheap sometime soon though that seems unlikely given society is collapsing here.

Kelvin

I assume you or your wife already know this, but Nintendo just updated animal crossing with a backup option for damaged consoles, so assuming it works, back it up on the games title screen, just in case.

Garam

Mario direct today.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s_UcjEq2Dgk

Super Mario 3d All Stars with 64, Sunshine and Galaxy (but not Galaxy 2!) coming in 2 weeks, and 3d world with a new mode coming in February. Also an interesting looking Super Mario Bros battle royale style game coming to switch online. Looks like Tetris 99.

Good direct. Can't wait for 3d world.

Kelvin

All that Mario stuff has finally been revealed in a special Mario Direct.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s_UcjEq2Dgk

A new Mario All Stars game with Mario 64, Sunshine and Galaxy 1 (not 2) comes out in two weeks! No big graphical overhauls, but it's all HD.   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vOR3Vng4lEo&t=0s

All a Super Mario Bros Battle Royale:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N_xbSjjyZWA

And a goofy Mario Kart toy which would be fun for kids:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0SfIdimuVkE   

Edit: Oh Garam got their first. Fuck it, might as well leave mine, too, as it has the trailer links. 

Garam

Mario 3D All Stars is available for only 6 months apparently, both physical and digital... Strange

Timothy

Nintendo are probably gonna sell them for 30 pounds each after March 2021.

Quite expensive. Gonna buy it but was hoping for some proper remakes instead of simple ports.

madhair60

Absolute top-tier classic Nintendo not including Galaxy 2.

Bizarre that Mario Sunshine has a 16:9 output but Super Mario 64 doesn't. I've run the PC source port at that aspect ratio with no glitches. Some people have even run it on that mad Samsung Q9 monitor at 32:9 without issues, so I don't see what the problem is.

Timothy

QuoteTo make use of Joy-Con features on Nintendo Switch Lite, a Joy-Con pair is required and the Nintendo Switch adjustable charging stand is recommended. A device to recharge Joy-Con controllers, such as the Joy-Con charging grip, will also be required. For more information, visit the Nintendo Switch Lite website.

Does this mean you can only play these games docked?

bgmnts

Just out of interest, is it worth getting a Switch Lite?

brat-sampson

Depends. It's cheaper, but can't do multiplayer as easily (because you don't have two joycons to share), some motion-based games won't work (like Ring Fit Adventure) and it won't play on the telly (obvs). Also, I don't know if Lite control sticks are prone to drift issues like the regular joycons do, but if so you'd have to replace the whole thing.

Otherwise, if you want a way to play Switch games that doesn't cost as much and don't care about those caveats, I'm sure it's great.

jobotic

I'm not far off finishing BotW. Well i have to kill Gannon and I'm not a great player, but apart from that I'm nearly done. Oh and about 40 shrines left.

Anyway, is the DLC worth getting? Are the extra things good? Not interested in making the game harder for the reason stated above, but if there's good new stuff (and a motorbike...)

Kelvin

Quote from: jobotic on September 03, 2020, 03:40:44 PM
I'm not far off finishing BotW. Well i have to kill Gannon and I'm not a great player, but apart from that I'm nearly done. Oh and about 40 shrines left.

Anyway, is the DLC worth getting? Are the extra things good? Not interested in making the game harder for the reason stated above, but if there's good new stuff (and a motorbike...)

It's more of the same, a bunch of new shrines, a few retro costumes, and one (good) dungeon. Then the motorbike as a reward. It's good fun, but it does fuck up the pacing and difficulty of a first playthrough, as it's basically adding a chunk of game at the point you should be heading to Ganon, and you'll be massively over-powered for the final battle. My advice is to beat Ganon, then buy the DLC afterwards. It will just drop it into the game for you to play at your leisure. Good stuff, but not A tier.     

Famous Mortimer

Consignia

This time limited stuff is typical Nintendo bullshit. I understand they want to make it special but time limiting paid games is just so pointless. Also limiting the Mario Battle Royale. I suppose it's a more limited long termer that Tetris, but still.

Apart from the bullshit though, I'm looking forward to the majority of this stuff.

SavageHedgehog

I've still got all of these games and the relevant consoles so I'm not too excited by this personally, but I must admit I would be tempted by this Mario 1 Game & Watch if it were about £15 cheaper.

buntyman

Just get one, they look ace. As does pretty much everything in this announcement. If I lived in a non-judgemental househould I'd be all over those Mario remote control karts too. Keen to give that Mario 35 battle game a go but I'm not actually very good at Mario so can't see it taking over my life like Tetris 99 did. I also have played all the other Mario games being re-released but it's a reasonable price to have the 3 3D ones on my Switch.

brat-sampson

Shame about the fridging of Galaxy 2, but the rest of that was all nice.