Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,584,343
  • Total Topics: 106,754
  • Online Today: 1,132
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 26, 2024, 03:29:05 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Nintendo Switch: Thread 2: The Drift

Started by madhair60, September 05, 2019, 11:28:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

are you a Switch Bitch

Yes
48 (60.8%)
No
6 (7.6%)
Raoul Moat
25 (31.6%)

Total Members Voted: 79

Garam

Super Mario Bros 35 is really really good. Hope they do one for mario 3 too

C_Larence

Quote from: Garam on October 01, 2020, 06:32:51 PM
Super Mario Bros 35 is really really good. Hope they do one for mario 3 too

I played 2 games of it (came 15th and 3rd) and it seems to just be mario but with enemies in different places. Don't get the appeal at all.

Minecraft Steve is coming to Smash Bros. which appears to have upset a lot of people who can't seem to fathom why it's a big deal having the biggest franchise in gaming represented.

My son's over the moon about it. It's the first DLC character that he's actually heard of, let alone been invested in.

Kelvin

Quote from: C_Larence on October 02, 2020, 08:15:43 AM
I played 2 games of it (came 15th and 3rd) and it seems to just be mario but with enemies in different places. Don't get the appeal at all.

The need to build up a time surplus by killing enemies and finding/obtaining pickups vs the need to stay alive longer just adds a frission of excitement and tension to the game. It's also satisfying cutting down waves of enemies. I'm loving it.

Quote from: Huxleys Babkins on October 02, 2020, 09:31:29 AM
Minecraft Steve is coming to Smash Bros. which appears to have upset a lot of people who can't seem to fathom why it's a big deal having the biggest franchise in gaming represented.

My son's over the moon about it. It's the first DLC character that he's actually heard of, let alone been invested in.

It's a great addition. Iconic, visually distinct, seems to play really interestingly. It's the perfect character for DLC.   

Consignia

You really need to get into the flow of Mario 35, if you start on level with not many enemies or some relatively tough jumps where people die early, your run can be quiet for a while. But when it get manic, it's excellent.

The Minecraft addition to Smash Bros is excellent. I mean, I have little attachment to Minecraft so it does little for me, but the acknowledgement of such a huge cultural phenomenon is going resonate so well with the younger generation. Also, it looks so unique and fun, what Smash Bros. should be rather than endless Fire Emblem swordsmen.

MojoJojo

First non-Japanese character in Smash Bros? I've not checked them all.

(Starfox was a British software house but was designed by Miyamoto. )

Kelvin

Quote from: MojoJojo on October 02, 2020, 11:22:30 AM
First non-Japanese character in Smash Bros? I've not checked them all.

Not quite. They have Banjo and King K.Rool (both from Rare).

MojoJojo

Fair enough. I hadn't really thought about it but the US hasn't really made many iconic VG characters. Master Chief is the only other one who comes to mind.

Kelvin

Mario 35 is the best game ever. Makes Breath of the Wild look like a game for babies.

Unrelatedly, I just got 1st place.

Kelvin

They've updated Mario 35 and now the countdown speeds up much earlier. Makes games shorter, if the length was something that put you off.

Consignia

This weekend's special battle puts 4-1 into the mix, so you're guaranteed lots of spinys and perhaps a few lakitus early doors. Way more fun and manic than an endless cycle of 1-1 and 1-2 (although they are in the line up, they aren't next to each other and you won't visit them as often).

I thought it was wank so I'll give it another go now.

Pete23

Pikmin demo's out and it's quite substantial - ends after the first boss fight (day 3 or 4 depending how quick you are). Really don't want to pay £50 to replay a Wii U game but by crickey it's good.

Finally just won my first game of Mario 35. Didn't feel under pressure at any point, it was weird, just played for a while then found I had won.

I won my first one last night a couple of hours after you. Small world.

Kelvin

Someone ask how many I've won.

*Man coughs distantly at back of room.*

Thank you, sir. I have won 21 games.

popcorn

My experience of these multiplayer Tetris and Mario games has been identical: I am playing an old game, but random crap is happening and I don't understand, then I die.

Perhaps it is I who is the old game.

It turns out that the real old game was the friends we made along the way.

buntyman

I won one before they made it easy. Let me know if you need proof.

Consignia

Looks like Nintendo are time limiting another game; this time the original NES Fire Emblem game. Only available until the end of their FY. It's utter bollocks business practice, and Nintendo deserve all the shit coming to them for it.

GoblinAhFuckScary

Pikmin 3 is over 7 years old. Costs what, like 50 quid? Fuck off, videogames

edit:

Quote from: Pete23 on October 10, 2020, 01:13:56 PM
Pikmin demo's out and it's quite substantial - ends after the first boss fight (day 3 or 4 depending how quick you are). Really don't want to pay £50 to replay a Wii U game but by crickey it's good.

Sos accidental repost, but honestly the Switch has been an extreme waste of cash for me considering this bullshit. The games never ever get cheaper.

jobotic

I'd love to get it but fifty quid? Nah
Doesn't even look that different to the one I had on the Gamecube

Timothy

Hyrule Warriors demo is out now. Game is pretty dull imo but these Warrior games are never much fun to me.

No More Heroes 1 and 2 are on Eshop. Are these good games?

Kelvin

Pikmin 3 is a brilliant game. It is scummy that they charge full price for a port, but if you haven't played it before, I really cannot recommend it strongly enough. It is as worth your time now as it was five years ago.

Kelvin

Quote from: Timothy on October 28, 2020, 03:17:58 PM
No More Heroes 1 and 2 are on Eshop. Are these good games?

Depends on your definition of good. They're janky, frustrating games with tons of personality and style, and a lot of memorable characters and set pieces. Sort of 7 out of 10 territory, but the sort of 7 out of 10 that you'll always remember fondly, rather than the sort that's "good enough" to kill a few hours.

Jerzy Bondov

Control is now 'on' Switch via streaming. You can give it a go for free, twice, for ten minutes a go. Then it's £35 to unlock. I had to wait in a queue to play it, which is one good reason not to pay full price for a streaming game. However I'm playing it now and it works surprisingly well. Really fluid and obviously the graphics are better than what you're used to on Switch. The lighting looks amazing.

edit: Personally I'm not going to spend any money on this until some other mugs do it. I'm not sure 10 minutes is long enough to get to the combat, which I think is supposed to get quite frantic. Works perfectly for wandering around reading paper off people's desks but beyond that, well, somebody else can find that out first.

Jerzy Bondov

Kelvin

Good interview with Miyamoto here:

https://www.newyorker.com/culture/the-new-yorker-interview/shigeru-miyamoto-wants-to-create-a-kinder-world

Gives away a fair bit about the working environment at Nintendo.

There's also an article on IGN that highlights the talking points, if you don't want to read the full thing:

https://www.ign.com/articles/shigeru-miyamoto-talks-his-career-at-nintendo-and-how-he-wants-to-create-a-kinder-world

popcorn

I like his boast of a "well-lit cafeteria".