Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 11:50:42 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Nintendo Switch: Thread 2: The Drift

Started by madhair60, September 05, 2019, 11:28:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

are you a Switch Bitch

Yes
48 (60.8%)
No
6 (7.6%)
Raoul Moat
25 (31.6%)

Total Members Voted: 79

Chedney Honks

Quote from: thelittlemango on March 04, 2021, 08:03:05 PM
Also intrigued by Captain Toad, remember it being described on here as 'vent tier'

Hahaha

Profound nostalgia for the vent days already.

Pink Gregory

Fuckit I'm playing OlliOlli and Tetris and it's the best time I've had in years.

Quote from: Beagle 2 on March 04, 2021, 08:48:52 PM
Oooh I did not know it was 2 player. Always looking for games to play with my lad (also 3) and this sounds just the ticket.

I assume it's a thousand billion pounds and I also want new Mario so I guess that's me remortgaging and heading over to the concealing purchases from your partner thread.

It's £35 but it regularly goes on sale for £25 on the eShop if you can wait.

Kelvin

I've never been particularly hot on Mario 3D World. I honestly think it's a very polished, but fairly middling game overall.

But Bowser's Fury. I'm not saying it's actually the best 3D Mario, but if you said that, I wouldn't call you crazy. My God, it's good.

Thursday

I'm enjoying Bowser's Fury but it's a bit weird that I could do without the Bowser mechanic... you need him to show up to do the fury blocks which is a bit annoying, and other than that him showing up is a mild inconvenience when you're doing something else.

Kelvin

Yep, thats literally my only niggle with it.

In every other way, I think it's absolutely sublime. Cant wait to see how (if) they develop the idea in their next full Mario game. It really does feel like the perfect balance of linear platforming and open world exploration.Just needs to drop the Bowser bits and add in a few more original characters and side quests.

Kelvin

Anyone tried the new Pac-man 99 game thats replaced Mario 35?

Its a big step down from Tetris 99 and Mario 35, both of which were really, really good, I thought. There's just far too much shit on screen in Pac-man 99, I cant imagine trying to.play it handheld.

Yeah, there's a lack of obvious cause and effect in this. It's not as easy to understand and visceral as "jump on enemy, send to rival, extend time" or "clear lines, send to rival".

It just feels like 99 people playing their own distinct games of Pac-Man. You can send red and yellow Pac-Men to other players but it's not particularly obvious how you do it. It just feels totally random. You might as well be playing Pac-Man 256.

Also, sticking skins behind a paywall isn't going to drive engagement. It's just fucking greedy.

Consignia

I'd echo both your sentiments; it feels like a really poorly conceived idea, just desperate to do next "Whatever 99". I loved both Tetris and Mario variants as well.

Quote from: Kelvin on April 09, 2021, 09:55:20 PMThere's just far too much shit on screen in Pac-man 99, I cant imagine trying to.play it handheld.

I play exclusively in handheld, and it isn't too bad. It's more the whole concept has a confusing amount of information that makes play frankly not fun.

Beagle 2

This is the first time I've played 3D World and of course it's great but I wouldn't say I've totally clicked with it yet. I've just come off the back of playing through Galaxy (the best), Mario 64 (I went back through some old threads on here and it seems that people are not so fond of it but I still love the feel of it more than anything), and so I'm perhaps taking some time to adjust.

Is the music hot dogshit though? I have been hungover for the last two days to be fair but it's making my arse ache.

Bowser's Fury is interesting. If it is a test run for what's next I'm not totally sure I want it. It does look pretty tods in handheld with the framerate and generally feels a bit of a cluttered assault on my nervous system. Nah it's good though. Is it good?

Really have been very hungover.

Kelvin

New Metroid: Dread Trailer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V_XnbTayTH4

Think the visuals look a little washed out at times, but everything else - the mobility, the atmosphere, the story - it all looks really promising. 

C_Larence

No More Heroes 3 came out today. I only played the original game for the first time the other week and thought it was delightfully bonkers, going to work my way through 2 and the spin-off before getting the new one.

Didn't see the E3 trailer at the time but it's quite something
https://youtu.be/g2nPg42xsXg

Pink Gregory

Quite excited that Spelunky is out on the Switch.  Long time coming.

Also played the new Warioware demo and it's ace. 

popcorn

Quote from: Kelvin on August 27, 2021, 08:00:59 PM
New Metroid: Dread Trailer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V_XnbTayTH4

Think the visuals look a little washed out at times, but everything else - the mobility, the atmosphere, the story - it all looks really promising.

I think if I hadn't played a Metroid game before I'd find everything about that trailer unremarkable. However I'm a mega Metroid maniac so I'm confident we're all in for a good spooky puzzly time.

Beagle 2

Absolutely incredulous at this:

https://www.eurogamer.net/amp/2021-09-15-nintendo-switch-finally-adds-bluetooth-audio-support

This has pissed me off for four fucking years and all they had to do was flick a switch. Flick my switch into a canal you timewasting throbbers.

GoblinAhFuckScary

Quote from: Beagle 2 on September 15, 2021, 08:55:47 PM
Absolutely incredulous at this:

https://www.eurogamer.net/amp/2021-09-15-nintendo-switch-finally-adds-bluetooth-audio-support

This has pissed me off for four fucking years and all they had to do was flick a switch. Flick my switch into a canal you timewasting throbbers.

literally hilarious how badly nintendo takes the piss with its fanbase

To be fair, there are caveats;

You can only have two controllers connected to the console.
No mic support.
Audio latency can be dreadful with some headphones.

So I can understand why they were hesitant to add it. Neither Xbox nor PS4/5 support it either and use their own wireless protocols for their wireless headsets.

brat-sampson

Nintendo Direct, scheduled for tomorrow night. Focused mainly on Winter '21 games.

Let's GO!

madhair60

If they don't announce a new Kirby I will be killing myself.

Chedney Honks

Literally forgot I had a Switch. Appreciate the reminder.

Kelvin

Quote from: brat-sampson on September 22, 2021, 03:03:59 PM
Nintendo Direct, scheduled for tomorrow night. Focused mainly on Winter '21 games.

Let's GO!

Won't be much at all, then, as they've already got a game scheduled every month between now and January: Matroid, Mario Party, Pokemon, and Advance Wars.

Maybe we get a couple of smaller games announced for early next year? At best we might get one bigger title for later in 2021 and the rumoured addition to the Online Service.

Kelvin

Actually a patent related to the Switch Online stuff is going public this week, so that looks fairly likely.

DocDaneeka

Pikmin 4 or I desecrate Satoru Iwata's grave.

petercussing

Quote from: Chedney Honks on September 22, 2021, 03:33:23 PM
Literally forgot I had a Switch. Appreciate the reminder.

Jermaine Pennant/Porsche type stuff, baller. R'spect.

Pls take it outside right now, find a kid and brandish it at them saying, "do you want a switch?". Then smash it to pieces with a hammer whilst hard staring at them and singing "tough shit" to the tune of 2 Unlimited's No Limits.

brat-sampson

Love my Switch still. I've been playing Great Ace Attorney Chronicles in bed every evening for like 2 months now, *and* still on the ring fit at times.

The thing's a fucking delight.

petercussing

Me, too. I've been enjoying Ace Attorney Chrons very much too

Pink Gregory

Every roguelite from 5 years ago that I never played much on PC is enjoying a new life on the Switch for very little cost

brat-sampson

Quote from: madhair60 on September 22, 2021, 03:14:51 PM
If they don't announce a new Kirby I will be killing myself.
Ask and ye shall receive. They put him in The Last of Us and it looks weird.

https://youtu.be/H3LAkr0ANgw

buntyman

I like what I've seen so far. N64 games and a wireless N64 controller has got me excited. I've been back on the Wii U playing Paper Mario and can't believe how dark it is. Hopefully they'll fix that.

Kelvin

Bit sad that the only thing I was really excited for was the N64 library, especially as I have to pay extra for it...

Also excited about Bayonetta, Project Triangle, and Metroid Dread, though. Even if I did already know about them.

As for Kirby; the only thing he's good at sucking up is Nintendo's resources.