Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,559,174
  • Total Topics: 106,348
  • Online Today: 719
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 02:30:02 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Nintendo Switch: Thread 2: The Drift

Started by madhair60, September 05, 2019, 11:28:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

are you a Switch Bitch

Yes
48 (60.8%)
No
6 (7.6%)
Raoul Moat
25 (31.6%)

Total Members Voted: 79

Kelvin

Quote from: madhair60 on September 29, 2019, 08:21:36 PM
I'll never understand this commonplace notion about Paper Mario. The latter two games in the series are increasingly creative in their gameplay, presenting scenarios more akin to computer adventure games. Unlike the first two, the worlds actually reward exploration and don't give up their secrets without a fight, making them two of the most enjoyable Mario games I've ever played (and in the top three games on their respective systems). The way the stages and their challenges unfold is a constant joy to me.

That's not to say that I don't care for Thousand Year Door to an extent, but I'd trade it in happily for Sticker Star or Colour Splash any old day.

Edit: great, you've walked it back a bit. lol.

Yeah, sorry, I amended my post precisely because I think there still is a lot of creativity in that series, even if I don't love the direction they've moved in. 

Timothy

Hi all,

Question for you.

As some might know I sold my V1 Switch at the start of the year. Now, with Link's Awakening and Fire Emblem and Astral Chain and Mario Maker 2 out and Animal Crossing, Pokemon, Layton and Luigi's Mansion 3 on the horizon, I'm starting to look into buying a Switch again. I'm not sure if I want to get a Lite or a V2.

When I had the old Switch I only played in handheld mode (when I choose to play games on the TV I often choose the PS4 over the Switch) and I never play offline multiplayer so I'm contemplating about the Lite (it's 120 euros cheaper here so I can basically get a Switch Lite with three titles VS a Switch V2) but with The Drift, the lack of rumble and motion controls and the fact that it can never be docked I'm still in doubt.

Pros and cons? What would you recommend?
I mostly play RPG's / singleplayer games, Nintendo exclusives and only played it in handheld mode.

madhair60

I'd always go for the V2 simply because the option to dock and play local multi is absolutely essential for me.

Jerzy Bondov

Them rolly ball puzzles in Breath of the Wild (especially the golf one) are incredibly hard and annoying in handheld mode. Got the joycon grip out and did them first time.

Buy a second hand V1, hack it and pirate every game for nowt.

petercussing

Thank you everyone for using your mind tricks of talking how good this console is cos i done buyed one a couple of weeks ago and it's best console and seems to be the ultimate culmination of all nininbro consoles. Your convincing true words were convincing and true and has made me happy for games(tm) again.

Is Phoenix Wreazy Trilogy good cos i liked wrighty on the ds lots n lots? IT's just all the old ones innit, does it just go up to the DS one cos i played all them? Is it remastered? Why don't i just look this up for myself?

I completed the main game of mario o (up to beating down bowsarch) in a week cos of how insane i am for this crazy machine!!1!!!!1!

I got (p)Astral Chain(smoker) to play yet!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Golf story looks good and that.

Well done champ. Great to see you in here.

petercussing

Gracious felicitation at your congratulations on my victory purchase.

NJ Uncut

Quote from: The Boston Crab on October 01, 2019, 04:31:43 PM
Buy a second hand V1, hack it and pirate every game for nowt.

This still possible? have a CeX nearby...

It's only possible on certain models, I don't know which exactly, and it's a ballache, requiring some physical jigger modification every time you want to use it. It's possible though. I wish I'd done it and saved myself whatever I've spent on games in the last few years.

NJ Uncut

Quote from: The Boston Crab on October 06, 2019, 05:43:25 PM
It's only possible on certain models, I don't know which exactly, and it's a ballache, requiring some physical jigger modification every time you want to use it. It's possible though. I wish I'd done it and saved myself whatever I've spent on games in the last few years.

Yikes, I haven't soldered in years if it's anything like that. I'll wait til Black Friday I think (do Ninty even DO that?) but a modded Switch sounds amazing. I'm a bit technical but taking it apart and doing something physically does indeed sound a ballache

Some retailers knocked off a tenner or something last year. Nintendo would never do that, no need. It's absolutely raped the PS4 already in Japan and still selling like a twenty year old twat everywhere else.

It's not a permanent hard mod, it's a jigger that you have to fiddle with each time you want to boot your dodgy OS, I understand.

What y'all playin rn on the Switch?

Not finished Daemon X Machina. Not really started Astral Chain. Can't be bothered with either for the mo. Stopped my second FE playthrough because I don't fancy another however many hours really.

I'm chipping away at a few things I'd like to finish and give another chance:

Kirby Star Allies - definitely a game for kids, incredibly slow and boring but I'm about halfway through now. I spent fifty quid or something on this shit, I need to finish it to assuage my remorse and discredit the sunk cost fallacy.

Hollow Knight - I can't say I've started to enjoy it necessarily and I'm certainly not gripped but I like certain things about it, music is great and the graphics are atmospheric in some areas. I just beat the Soul Master first attempt and I feel like I can probably go somewhere else now I bought a key. It's really badly signposted and backtracking is really awful and boring but when you're doing new stuff, it's good. Fundamentally, it doesn't feel pleasant to control, it feels like moving a jerky sprite around to me. That's the main reason it's never clicked with me.

Dark Souls - never done a pure sorcery build on the original DS for some reason, maybe because I've only ever done a few runs compared to the rest of the series. It's interesting but really hard at first using a knife. I'm parrying like crayon though which is always fun. I fancy sinking into something and there's little as engrossing as the world of DS for me.

Untitled Goose Game - I can only really stomach this in five minute chunks, still only just got to the second area. They're fucking lucky that people are easily amused and desperate for memes because this is some simplistic prototype shit. Again, I need to finish it. Heard the ending is worthwhile.

Darius Cozmic Collection - this is pretty amazing, several versions of Darius and Darius 2, plus Darius Gaiden. All are superb, full of personality somehow, not my preferred type of STG, really hard for me but I love these games more each time I fire them up. They initially said physical only, Japan only so I imported it for sixty quid then the child eating poedos announced a digital release so I might flog my copy to some weeb.

Link's Awakening - unbearably shit.

Kelvin

Replaying Link to the Past on SNES online service. Inspired by my recent (first time) playthrough of Link's Awakening.

Turns out Madhair60 was right. Link's Awakening is better. For the first time ever, I'm finding LttP a bit empty and flabby when compared to Link's Awakenings incredibly dense little overworld. LttP definitely has better dungeons and items, though. And Awakening is massively undermined by just how many ideas and beats is copies wholesale from LttP. Not just items and puzzles, but even stuff like playing a song to a bird, characters hidden under bridges. All sorts. It's a bit bloody cheeky, really.   

And of course Link's Awakening runs like an ambivalent poedo ambling away from a soft play area.

popcorn

Just got Link's Awakening. Looking forward to another rollicking 3/5.

Phil_A

Quote from: The Boston Crab on October 13, 2019, 11:57:39 AM
What y'all playin rn on the Switch?

Hollow Knight - I can't say I've started to enjoy it necessarily and I'm certainly not gripped but I like certain things about it, music is great and the graphics are atmospheric in some areas. I just beat the Soul Master first attempt and I feel like I can probably go somewhere else now I bought a key. It's really badly signposted and backtracking is really awful and boring but when you're doing new stuff, it's good. Fundamentally, it doesn't feel pleasant to control, it feels like moving a jerky sprite around to me. That's the main reason it's never clicked with me.

I'm at the same point as you Bosto. Ended up buying it on Steam as I found the Switch controls too finicky, I'm much more into it now I'm playing with a decent controller.

I don't mind the lack of direction, the only thing I really don't like is it's possible to get locked down in certain areas when you're too underpowered to be there. That happened on my last Switch playthrough and I ended up having a massive THIS IS BOLLOCKS MARK tantrum and chucking the whole thing in.

I couldn't play this in handheld, no way. And then even the Pro Controller has a slightly shit untrustworthy D-pad so it's hard for me to feel I'm ever truly confident about the controls. Pretty important for a game as precise as this. I wonder whether I'd be better off with an arcade stick, actually.

petercussing

I'M ENJOYING THE HECK OUT OF HOLLOW KNIGHT ON SWITCH CONSOLE AND HAVE PLAYED SOLELY IN HANDHELD MODE!!!!!! WHAT, NO WAY?!?!?!!!!! I find it a nice treat for my hands to play and the controls are great, like you're controlling a tiny man, guys! I had nice fun playing the castlevania games on gameboy advance and this is the first vania style game like that i've got into in about 15 years since, so i guess im in the prime target demographic, i.e. person who likes the thing they are selling. 

NJ Uncut

Quote from: Kelvin on October 13, 2019, 02:42:32 PM
Replaying Link to the Past on SNES online service. Inspired by my recent (first time) playthrough of Link's Awakening.

Turns out Madhair60 was right. Link's Awakening is better. For the first time ever, I'm finding LttP a bit empty and flabby when compared to Link's Awakenings incredibly dense little overworld. LttP definitely has better dungeons and items, though. And Awakening is massively undermined by just how many ideas and beats is copies wholesale from LttP. Not just items and puzzles, but even stuff like playing a song to a bird, characters hidden under bridges. All sorts. It's a bit bloody cheeky, really.   

Toldyer

(I know someone else did, but I did too!)

How is the SNES online thingy? My impoverished childhood never had a SNES, and I'd like, yknow, Mario Allstars n that

It's got NES and SNES libraries. No All Stars but NES selection got the OGs. It's based af.

NJ Uncut

Quote from: The Boston Crab on October 14, 2019, 09:38:07 PM
It's got NES and SNES libraries. No All Stars but NES selection got the OGs. It's based af.

wtf

I mean, the NES originals are fine (All Stars cheated by re-using sprites - I like Mario 3 more than the All Stars Remaster as the All Stars Mario looked like a twat)

How much is Mazza 3?

And assuming the libraries stop there, no N64 + ?

Yeah, we waited fuckin ages for NES and they drip fed like we were in a Japanese POW camp.

Then we waited and waited and waited for SNES, only just released them. Probably gonna update sporadically but the big hitters are there, licensing issues aside.

They're not for individual sale but part of the twenty quid a year Switch Online package. Save states and rewind stuff and some can be played online with mates.

Consignia

We don't know. Nintendo might do N64 at some point, but it won't be for a while. It took a year for SNES. Nintendo also seem to want to forget all stars exist. We may get it, but who knows. I hacked my SNES mini purely for all stars.

brat-sampson

Finished Astral Chain, finished Somnium files. Still plugging through 3 Houses, picked up Anodyne because it was like a quid and I'd heard fun stuff. Mostly just trying to de-clutter the backlog a little and dick about in GamePass until Outer Worlds and Death Stranding come out and devour me.

Overwatch plus three months of Online is £18 at cdkeys rather than £35 on the eShop.

It's at 30fps rather than 60 and detail and resolution are obviously reduced a bit but if you want to play Overwatch while shitting or lying in bed, it's a cheaper option at cdkeys.

Blinder Data

Can someone advise on when and where to get cheapest Switch and games, please? Black Friday?

There's basically no such thing. The BF Switch deals have saved ten/twenty quid tops over the last two years. My only suggestion would be don't be a helmet and get a Switch Lite. The vast majority of the games look great on the telly, especially first party stuff and indie, and a Satisfye grip with a regular Switch is much more comfortable than a Switch Lite.

Get a second hand one if you want to save a few quid.

Fry

Billy no mates here has nothing to do all weekend, solo thought the whole thing. So I'm going to get a new game and get stoned playing it. I fancy an adventure, something meaty but not JRPG length. Preferably a 3D action adventure. I'm thinking Zelda but I'd have to get a physical copy so my GF can play too and all the shops will be closed when I finish work, also I wanna be challenged.

What do you reckon?

Zelda probably go down well when you're stoned, nice music and graphic but that framerate gonna give you a whitey. It's also pretty shit.

You ever played Witcher 3 mate? That will be fucking amazing stoned, very impressionistic graphics, slightly saturated colours, music is outstanding. Stories and characters are beast tier. Also expansive and deep as fuck to soak into the world, well immersive.

I think you've played Dark Souls from memory, but if not then that by any million miles.