are you a Switch Bitch

Yes
22 (61.1%)
No
2 (5.6%)
Raoul Moat
12 (33.3%)

Total Members Voted: 36

Author Topic: Nintendo Switch: Thread 2: The Drift  (Read 52204 times)

Re: Nintendo Switch: Thread 2: The Drift
« Reply #570 on: August 02, 2020, 08:07:56 AM »
Some N64 games were £50 when they were released, a full 20 years ago. Mad.

Sin Agog

• Dogs fucked the pope; no fault of mine
« Reply #571 on: August 02, 2020, 08:39:55 AM »

Think I may have even paid £60 at Woolworth's for Yoshi's Island on the Snes.

« Reply #572 on: August 02, 2020, 09:55:16 AM »
The difference was stuff did at least eventually go in the sale then. I bought Ocarina of Time for £7.99 in Woolworths around 2000/2001.

magval

• Magnum Valentino
« Reply #573 on: August 02, 2020, 11:00:07 AM »
I remember seeing a WWF game for N64 in Woolworths at the same time and couldn't get over the fact it was £60. At that time is never seen anything like it. Now it's the norm again, at least on the PSN.

rue the polywhirl

• eight lives left
« Reply #574 on: August 02, 2020, 11:21:20 AM »
Smash Bros Ultimate if bought back in 1998 and adjusted for inflation = £29.
First South Park game on the N64 in 1998 and adjusted for inflation    = £89

« Reply #575 on: August 02, 2020, 11:27:24 AM »
In the dying days of the Super Nintendo weren't there games that were like £80 due to the size of cartridges involved and extra chips included?

That must have been infuriating at the time, no way the info was relayed at all clearly to customers.

« Reply #576 on: August 02, 2020, 11:42:54 AM »
Smash Bros Ultimate if bought back in 1998 and adjusted for inflation = £29.
First South Park game on the N64 in 1998 and adjusted for inflation    = £89

Cripes. I played that South Park game recently (a £5 from Cash Generator in 2001 purchase), it really was poor even though the graphics were  nicely done. I think the positive reviews were largely FOMO over South Park's hip status at the time.

Wasn't the Mega Drive Street Fighter II something like £79.99 when it came out.

« Reply #577 on: August 02, 2020, 01:16:11 PM »
Bought Donkey Kong Tropical Freeze for some reason. So far it seems to be cheap platforming guff for babies.

« Reply #578 on: August 02, 2020, 01:26:09 PM »
Cripes. I played that South Park game recently (a £5 from Cash Generator in 2001 purchase), it really was poor even though the graphics were  nicely done. I think the positive reviews were largely FOMO over South Park's hip status at the time.

I haven't played or even looked at that game since it came out, but at the time I remember it being hugely novel, because it had all the sound effects and weapons from the show. I think a lot of people were bowled over by the novelty at the time, that sort of thing hadn't been done before, I think. I mean you'd had lots of crap licensed games, but they were all platformers, not 3D FPS games. You could really be "in" South Park.

It was made by Iguana, who later became Retro and did Metroid Prime. (And Donkey Kong Tropical Freeze.)

In the horrible shop I worked in as a teenager I a copy of Doom 64 came in with the Electronics Boutique sticker on it, £59.99. I was amazed.

Kelvin

• The best bits of a pantomime horse
  • Silver Member
  • With skin the colour of a freshly peeled apple
« Reply #579 on: August 02, 2020, 01:38:15 PM »
It was made by Iguana, who later became Retro and did Metroid Prime. (And Donkey Kong Tropical Freeze.)

Fuck.
Off.
How did I not know that!

« Reply #580 on: August 02, 2020, 01:59:03 PM »
Because I am the only smart one around here.

To be a bit more precise, it wasn't simply a name change - the Iguana founder left in the late 90s and founded Retro with some other key ex-Iguana staff, and then Iguana died a death with Acclaim.

« Reply #581 on: August 02, 2020, 02:02:42 PM »
And developed Turok 1 and 2 of course, South Park played indentically of course but the visuals were much ropier due to the cartoon style.

They had the best logo in the industry at that time.

FerriswheelBueller

• CaB rear of the year 2020
  • Silver Member
  • Take it easy, but take it.
    • I am antsy for baseball in the off-season.
« Reply #582 on: August 02, 2020, 02:17:12 PM »
In the horrible shop I worked in as a teenager I a copy of Doom 64 came in with the Electronics Boutique sticker on it, £59.99. I was amazed.

I think I’ve mentioned it already, but I really enjoyed that piece of writing, not least because it was evocative of my teenage years working in a similarly weird and shit shop. I also did the “tap buttons on the broken till to make a noise while actually using a calculator” thing.

Let’s not stray from the point that Nintendo trying to charge me $80 (!) for a copy of skyrim is daylight robbery and should be roundly condemned. I’ve bought so many copies of it over the years for various consoles I should be entitled to a free one.

« Reply #583 on: August 02, 2020, 02:28:25 PM »
I think I’ve mentioned it already, but I really enjoyed that piece of writing, not least because it was evocative of my teenage years working in a similarly weird and shit shop.

Cheers. I have written a small follow-up sequel but I haven't put it up yet because I worry it's a bit shit. :(

FerriswheelBueller

• Silver Member
« Reply #584 on: August 02, 2020, 02:31:19 PM »
Cheers. I have written a small follow-up sequel but I haven't put it up yet because I worry it's a bit shit. :(

It probably is awful to be fair.

Would be interested to read it though.

GoblinAhFuckScary

• Feeble birds fly out gob
« Reply #585 on: August 02, 2020, 03:19:20 PM »

Great read. Thanks for sharing x

« Reply #586 on: August 02, 2020, 04:18:53 PM »

I lowered my standards and filled in application forms for Asda and the Co-Op

I worked in a co-op for 4 years as a teen, look down on me will you? You bloody snob.

« Reply #587 on: Yesterday at 10:23:16 AM »
Something made me start playing Mario World again, for the first time in about 25 years. I ended up finishing it within a couple of days.

What a charmer this game is. It's funny, I remember it being an epic that took me months to get through, but it's very short if you don't go off and do all the extra secret stuff. I still love the ghost houses, and the switch palace idea is so cute. It's such a treasure trove!

It isn't as completely watertight as I remember. There are definitely a lot of weird miscellaneous bits, particularly in power-ups. I'd completely forgotten what the flying wings were for (Yoshi) and was baffled whenever they turned up. And what's the point of the moon power-up, that gives you 3 1ups, when they could just have given you 3 1-up mushrooms?
« Last Edit: Yesterday at 10:33:21 AM by popcorn »

« Reply #588 on: Yesterday at 03:08:56 PM »
Pikmin 3 Deluxe is announced for Switch. Releasedate is 30/10/2020.

I rather see some new games then all these remakes/ports.

« Reply #589 on: Yesterday at 03:09:44 PM »
Nintendo is saved

« Reply #590 on: Yesterday at 03:10:29 PM »
Origami King was excellent by the way. Finished it last week. Battles got a bit boring in the end but the writing and atmosphere made up for it. Lots of fun.

Kelvin

• Silver Member
« Reply #591 on: Yesterday at 03:59:21 PM »

That would be true, normally. But Pikmin is the most under-rated Nintendo series EVER TIMES ULTRA INFINITY and it deserves all the attention it can get.

« Reply #592 on: Yesterday at 04:44:26 PM »

No cunt owned a Wii U. These might as well be new games.

Kelvin

• Silver Member
« Reply #593 on: Yesterday at 04:51:06 PM »
Apparently they've added lock-on, which is the one thing pikmin 3 needed. Guaranteed 10 out 10 now. Bosses are nightmarish and amazing, rest of the game is pure zen bliss. 

Here's the trailer:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aSSQ0Z6eDhU

deluxe version adds co-op for the whole story mode and new side-story missions that can also be played with a friend. Furthermore, all the Mission mode DLC stages from the original Pikmin 3 will be included.
There will also be a new Piklopedia feature that allows you to collect information on creatures and earn in-game badges by meeting certain conditions.
New difficulty options have been added to this version, as well as lock-on targeting, optional hints, and the choice to "play at a more relaxed pace."

« Reply #594 on: Yesterday at 05:27:49 PM »

I think we bought a N64 back in `97 for around £250 you had to buy (can't remember) Mario 64 or Mario Kart 64 separately for £50, the next week Nintendo starting bundling one of them with the machine so I wrote a letter to Nintendo about this being unfair and received a free copy in the post. But I'd already bought a copy by then so gave it to a friend.

Does everyone believe like me that the GamesMaster Dave Perry incident was Perry knowing full well he was going to be playing Mario 64 and trying to show off by falling off the edge as a shortcut to the end but failed miserably so came up with some mealy-mouthed excuse about it being an import?

« Reply #595 on: Yesterday at 05:31:22 PM »
Does everyone believe like me that the GamesMaster Dave Perry incident was Perry knowing full well he was going to be playing Mario 64 and trying to show off by falling off the edge as a shortcut to the end but failed miserably so came up with some mealy-mouthed excuse about it being an import?

I think that's the consensus isn't it? He was trying to use a shortcut.

« Reply #596 on: Yesterday at 05:37:03 PM »
I think that's the consensus isn't it? He was trying to use a shortcut.

He's still lying about it though, isn't he? Does he reckon he never even played it once? In the video I posted he even reckoned he'd never even play the game again after the GamesMaster incident. What a bandanna Union Jack cunt.

« Reply #597 on: Yesterday at 05:42:38 PM »
No cunt owned a Wii U. These might as well be new games.

I did, and I owned it, and never played it.
If there's extra stuff in this edition then maybe I never will (the WiiU version anyway)

FerriswheelBueller

• Silver Member
« Reply #598 on: Yesterday at 05:56:25 PM »
I gave my WiiU away because it were shite

« Reply #599 on: Yesterday at 07:37:28 PM »
The WiiU wasn't shite, it just had a demographic of 1, which was me.

Tags: