Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 10:34:46 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Supergrass to Reform?

Started by DrGreggles, September 05, 2019, 02:25:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DrGreggles

Beagle 2

Ah nice one, this is long overdue. Gaz's solo stuff is really good and all that but it's so... worthy somehow. All the fun seems to have been removed.

To be honest, I saw Supergrass a couple of times and they were pretty much completely static throughout, but they're still one of my favourite bands of all time.

sevendaughters

saw 'em at Leeds in about 2001, they were brilliant but it took me until this year to listen to their albums in full. cracking band.

peanutbutter

They should've split up directly after Road to Rouen, without that last dud album and outlasting just about every other britpop band done permanent harm to the potential of any reformation. I kind of suspect if they had left things after Road to Rouen (which is okay, not amazing) that people would generally rate them way higher.

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

Mick Jagger on the Rutles documentary/ I 'ope not / Mick Jagger on the Rutles documentary

alan nagsworth

Fucking hell!! Oslo?! That venue is tiny, Christ I'd sell my soul to see them play there

imitationleather

Quite. That is going to be banging.

(sings) 'We are somewhat less young...'

DrGreggles

Quote from: Captain Z on September 07, 2019, 05:50:52 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M1WHfJ9PMpE

I remember them doing that on The Graveyard Shift when Supergrass were guests (and giggling in the background).

Them being back together makes me happy (along with SFA being somewhat active again). Now lets get Pulp up going again and all will be right in the world.

DrGreggles

My band nearly got a support slot on their 1997 tour, but I was hospitalised and we split up shortly after.
Oh, what could have been*...

*very little

hummingofevil

Got near-zero interest  now in them as a band but Alright was the first song I ever sang live and Lenny is still one of the great songs ever. It really is perfect. As someone who was 16 in 1995 I loathe Britpop but I Should Coco is the one album (maybe Elastica) that I will still listen to. They were some band back in the day and they still are. No interest in a reunion mind. But that just me.

Aye. Just look at them. Fucking ace. Danny and Mick are excellent musicians and Gaz's face deserves to be legenderay in it's own right.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CJC4BOpZCMc

Great band. Them and SFA.

DrGreggles

Quote from: hummingofevil on September 08, 2019, 01:23:05 AM
I loathe Britpop but I Should Coco is the one album... that I will still listen to.

Supergrass were never 'Britpop' though - they just happened to come through at that time.

hummingofevil

Quote from: DrGreggles on September 08, 2019, 01:27:17 AM
Supergrass were never 'Britpop' though - they just happened to come through at that time.

I get that now but didn't at the time. Like all the press did. :) Are we defining Britpop as Camden wank? I think that is revisionist...

sevendaughters

there was a "where are they now?" article in the Guardian with a lot of Britpop second and third tier acts and every last man jack of them denied being Britpop. and yet they all were.

Brundle-Fly

They were a brilliant pop/rock band. I can't believe that final gig was so long ago. We nearly got thrown out because a mate lit up a fag. We were seated too. They played all the singles in reverse order with Caught By The Fuzz as the finale. That was a nice idea but did have a whiff of artistic self-doubt, 'diminishing returns' and all that.

Did anybody like Danny Goffey's solo albums (as Vangoffey)? I thought the debut was rather good, quite funky and Baxter Dury-esque.

And come on, the 'Grarse' were Britpop, whether they (or you) like or not.

phes

Saw them on a double bill with The Bluetones on South Parade Pier, Portsmouth, August 18th 1995. Absolutely tore the place down.

Can't speak for how they evolved but that year or so late 94-96 when they were just kids and raw was lightning in a bottle.

Phil_A

I would've been fine if they'd split after the first three albums. By the time of Road to Rouen they were definitely sounding tired.

In retrospect the whole Diamond Hoo Ha Men thing seemed a bit of a desperate attempt to find something to do to prolong the life of the band, the fact they didn't even commit to their original idea of pretending they weren't Supergrass suggests they weren't really invested in it. It was a rubbish name for a fake band anyway.

phantom_power

Quote from: phes on September 08, 2019, 09:23:22 AM
Saw them on a double bill with The Bluetones on South Parade Pier, Portsmouth, August 18th 1995. Absolutely tore the place down.

Can't speak for how they evolved but that year or so late 94-96 when they were just kids and raw was lightning in a bottle.

I was at that gig. I came out and sat on the beach on one side of the pier and found out later that the band had come out the other side and had a bit of an acoustic sing song with the fans. Gutted

Custard

If this results in reissues of the albums, that will be nice

DrGreggles

Quote from: Shameless Custard on September 08, 2019, 02:30:26 PM
If this results in reissues of the albums, that will be nice

I think that's the plan with Coco.

They were my favourite group of the late 90s - I saw them live maybe five or six times, and every time their performance was unbeatable.  Gaz and Mick's vocals were always spot on, and the whole band just sounded incredible.

One of my favourite live performances of theirs that I've seen is this one of Gaz, Mick and Rob doing "It's Not Me":
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m6QBqyng3dc

Gaz's vocals are delicate yet piercing, just perfect.

They lost me a bit at "Life on Other Planets", though I remember the first couple of tracks on "Road to Rouen" being a return to form.

Anyway, it's great news that they're doing stuff together again - I would have killed for tickets to that gig at Oslo.  That's like seeing them perform in your lounge.

phes

Quote from: phantom_power on September 08, 2019, 12:22:28 PM
I was at that gig. I came out and sat on the beach on one side of the pier and found out later that the band had come out the other side and had a bit of an acoustic sing song with the fans. Gutted

I also missed this and I'm glad about that as 'acoustic sing songs' is around second on the list of things that inexplicably and unjustifiably (and even regrettably) make my piss boil. At number one is the festival bothering, franchise drum band Batala

phantom_power

Not just any old sing song though. With Gaz and the boys.

Pauline Walnuts

Quote from: Brundle-Fly on September 08, 2019, 09:03:22 AM
They were a brilliant pop/rock band. I can't believe that final gig was so long ago. We nearly got thrown out because a mate lit up a fag.

You homophobic monster!

buntyman

https://www.supergrass.com/shop fancy box set and tour announced (along with another unnecessary best of)