Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 02:54:41 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Supergrass to Reform?

Started by DrGreggles, September 05, 2019, 02:25:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
I'd be up for the fancy box set if it wasn't for the tacky-looking 12" picture disc. Wonder if this new single is one of the rarities from that box, rather than a new recording?

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

Quote from: Brundle-Fly on September 08, 2019, 09:03:22 AM
They were a brilliant pop/rock band. I can't believe that final gig was so long ago. We nearly got thrown out because a mate lit up a fag. We were seated too.

BRUNDO'S MATE: *smokes a fag*
VENUE SECURITY: "Put it out!"

DrGreggles

Looks like Leeds will work out the best for me.

DrGreggles

Quote from: Wayman C. McCreery on September 09, 2019, 09:46:19 AM
I'd be up for the fancy box set if it wasn't for the tacky-looking 12" picture disc. Wonder if this new single is one of the rarities from that box, rather than a new recording?

It won't be a new recording.

I do like the box set though... #moremoneythansense #andnotmuchmoney

Icehaven

Quote from: sevendaughters on September 08, 2019, 08:25:42 AM
there was a "where are they now?" article in the Guardian with a lot of Britpop second and third tier acts and every last man jack of them denied being Britpop. and yet they all were.

Yep they've all done that for the last 25 years! ''We were lumped in with Britpop but we weren't really part of it.'' Well who bloody was then? Just Menswear all on their own was it? Fair doos it was just a nebulous term coined by music journalists in the mid 90s as shorthand for the current raft of poppy guitar bands making the charts, but surely that means if you were in a poppy guitar band and making the charts in the mid 90s then you WERE BRITPOP. And why do they even care, if it was just a meaningless term and a scene as such didn't really exist anyway? Are they really that petrified of any remote association with Oasis, as if it's going to besmirch their creative legacy or something?

The Bluetones
Blur
Catatonia
The Charlatans
Dodgy
Echobelly
Elastica
Kenickie
Kula Shaker
Mansun
Menswear
Oasis
Powder
Pulp
Shed Seven
Sleeper
Stereophonics
Suede
Supergrass

and God knows who else you were all Britpop so get over it.

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

No way Catatonia and Kenickie were Britpop, lady.

Turns out that "new single" is a Police cover.

sevendaughters

on the 1995 BBC2 compilation show called Britpop Now, hosted by Damon Albarn, even PJ Harvey was Britpop.

Icehaven

Quote from: Lisa Jesusandmarychain on September 09, 2019, 12:25:32 PM
No way Catatonia and Kenickie were Britpop, lady.

They were, particularly Catatonia. Absolutely textbook Britpop.

McFlymo

What linked all those British guitar bands of the 90s (aside from them being British guitar bands from the 90s) was that, aside from Pulp, their lyrics were always meaningless shite, and Supergrass were no exception!

Loved their first three albums though, reminding myself of Life On Other Planets and listening now, actually, it's aged pretty well!

Britpop
Shitpop
Clitpop

sevendaughters

Quote from: McFlymo on September 09, 2019, 01:57:25 PM
What linked all those British guitar bands of the 90s (aside from them being British guitar bands from the 90s) was that, aside from Pulp, their lyrics were always meaningless shite, and Supergrass were no exception!

Loved their first three albums though, reminding myself of Life On Other Planets and listening now, actually, it's aged pretty well!

Britpop
Shitpop
Clitpop

I dunno. I throw on Moving and I'm there, really puts me in the mind of actual motion.

sweeper

Has any era of pop music so comprehensively haunted itself like mid-90s indie guitar pop has in the last quarter century?

Beagle 2

Even at the time you wouldn't say "I like Britpop bands" though, if you had an ounce of self-respect. It's an inherently limiting and unambitious name for a supposed musical movement isn't it? "We like BRITISH things, and we like TUNES YOU CAN HUM". The whole thing felt like it had been designed by your mum.

Crabwalk

Quote from: Wayman C. McCreery on September 09, 2019, 12:26:43 PM
Turns out that "new single" is a Police cover.

A carbon copy one at that. What is point Supergrass, what is point?

DrGreggles

I assume it's just a marketing idea to coincide with the other announcements.
"Look, it's a thing!"

Crabwalk

'Look, it's an unimaginative, mediocre thing!'

Great marketing, monkeyboys.

Neomod

I used to get my haircut at the same barbers as them in Royal College Street, Camden, The Parrot man. He had a photograph of them visiting for a trim (pre MTV appearance around the corner no doubt).

I know I saw them supported by Cast but can't for the life of me remember where. I want to say Hammersmith but I was going to so many gigs at the time they all became an -ahem- blur.

Icehaven

There did seem to be a spate of music scenes/terms/whatever around that time that none of the bands they were coined to describe actually wanted to be considered part of. New Grave anyone?

sevendaughters

Quote from: icehaven on September 09, 2019, 06:02:20 PM
There did seem to be a spate of music scenes/terms/whatever around that time that none of the bands they were coined to describe actually wanted to be considered part of. New Grave anyone?

yeah The Verve and Placebo were considered New Grave, all the Hut Records bands

Lordofthefiles

Live on Gaz's instagram now.
It looks fantastic.

Lordofthefiles

jimboslice

Forty quid for Leeds Academy. I'm too tight for that.

phes

I'd sooner train a Christ plant to grow into my bell-end than gurn through alright forty quid lighter

Rich Uncle Skeleton

£40 a ticket is 4 years ago's £25 a ticket. I'm not surprised at all they've priced them at that level.

Crabwalk

Just checked and last time I saw them was 2002 at Shepherd's Bush Empire and it was £19.50 that night. £40 is par for this sort of show these days.

Brundle-Fly

Quote from: Lisa Jesusandmarychain on September 09, 2019, 09:47:48 AM
BRUNDO'S MATE: *smokes a fag*
VENUE SECURITY: "Put it out!"

It actually got quite unpleasant with the people around us before security was involved. There was nearly a punch up.

Brundle-Fly

Quote from: Beagle 2 on September 09, 2019, 02:42:55 PM
Even at the time you wouldn't say "I like Britpop bands" though, if you had an ounce of self-respect. It's an inherently limiting and unambitious name for a supposed musical movement isn't it? "We like BRITISH things, and we like TUNES YOU CAN HUM". The whole thing felt like it had been designed by your mum.

Stuart Maconie claimes to have coined the phrase but I have a 1970's Fab annual somewhere which uses the term Britpop to describe the band, Kenny. Who oddly enough some members look like the older brothers of Stereophonics.

Pauline Walnuts

They look like younger brothers of The Stereophonics.