Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 03:20:26 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Grimes

Started by Head Gardener, September 05, 2019, 05:58:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Head Gardener

I am always interested in what she's up to and a new tune just dropped at midnight - Violence
it's pretty good but maybe not quite up there with We Appreciate Power but still promising for the forthcoming album

BlodwynPig

We've jumped the unusual shark now

Head Gardener

she's lovely and can afford as many sharks as she likes

BlodwynPig

Reasonable, take away the vocals and its nothing though

chveik

as Butt-Head would have said, it sucks

sevendaughters

prefer the song and dislike the vocals. nice Vince Clarke feel to it. she only has one vocal trick and it's increasingly irksome. you can't play babyvoice when you're a billionaire by proxy.

also We Appreciate Power was sub-Mechanical Animals shite.

Captain Z

or 'Grimey', as she liked to be called...

chveik

"that music in the elevator is too balls out for us"

It's good but seems more like an album track than a single.

Bazooka

I won't be humming it, but will forget it.

H-O-W-L

Fucking hated We Appreciate Power (shite knockoff KMFDM) and my opinion for this is pretty much the same as what's been posted. Sounds like one of the watery interim tracks she posted between Visions and Art Angels that she self-acknowledged as being poor and never worked on beyond a demo. Where's her quality control gone?

Then again the singles she made for other projects just after Art Angels were pretty much entirely a crock of shit. The Suicide Squad one she made induced a gag reflex in me, and the Art Angels post-release music videos were increeeedibly ponderous dreck.

I've sort of lost love for Grimes I'll be honest. Feels like she's lost a lot of her shine. Visions is still great and Art Angels has not worn that thin despite me relistening to it a bunch, but neeehh. I don't think she's gonna recapture me with this album. Both of these cuts have been shit.

Norton Canes

OK it's not as avant garde or underground as her pre-Art Angels stuff but it's still doing a better job as this sort of thing than 99% of other people's attempts. It's got a Purity Ring kind of sheen to it. It's good.

We Appreciate Power was a stone cold banger and anyone who says otherwise is bang wrong.

H-O-W-L

Quote from: Norton Canes on September 06, 2019, 12:02:26 PM
OK it's not as avant garde or underground as her pre-Art Angels stuff but it's still doing a better job as this sort of thing than 99% of other people's attempts. It's got a Purity Ring kind of sheen to it. It's good.

It's better than people that are apeing her style in wake of Art Angels for sure, and I don't mind that it's not avant-garde or underground (In fact I prefer the more simplistic tracks on Visions like Oblivion and Be a Body (my favourite Grimes track fwiw)) but I just think it's a bit shit.

We Appreciate Power was a stone cold banger and anyone who says otherwise is bang wrong.

You're wrong.

alan nagsworth

People who fall over themselves to gush heart emojis and "it's a bop!!" in the Instagram comments for drab releases like this are idiots. Is it a bop? Is it really? Or is it just a toe-tapping beat and an altogether not-unpleasant composition? Yeah it's the latter isn't it. Get a grip, just because she's a megastar doesn't mean everything she farts out with a flashy video is immediately the best pop song you've ever heard. The backing track is absolute toss and there's no discernible hook to the vocals at all. It just dribbles along and then it's finished. Boring.

Still at least it's more in the vein of what she was previously good at, as opposed to 'We Appreciate Power' which was absolutely fucking dreadful, as was the insipid braying of "omg she's bringing nu-metal back!! 😍😍😍" from people who were 2 years old when Mudvayne's "Dig" first came out and made the entire world cringe their arseholes inside out.

BlodwynPig

Any Controlled Bleeding fans in this thread?

Head Gardener

I still think she's lovely

Pauline Walnuts

BlodwynPig

Quote from: OnlyRegisteredSoICanRead on September 06, 2019, 05:12:56 PM
I liked their Pink Floyd Cover.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Ob5GtkO0V4

Thats how i first heard them. Many other good industrial/electronic covers on that album - 2CD version

peanutbutter

She's kind of a female Kanye West, obviously has some really good instincts musically and is willing to take bold moves like scrapping whole albums if they don't feel right, but absolutely everything beyond the music itself is intolerable and she seems constantly at risk of having all that bullshit take over.

That's a huge compliment to pay her though. Kanye's musical output is way better and he's way more prolific, and all of his obnoxious shit beyond music at least seems sincere and confused and human... I'd take his kind of narcissism over hers for sure.

I had kind of written her off before Art Angels so I'm reluctant to do so again, but it's been several years of her seemingly confirming all my worst guesses of what she's like.

Two decent songs ever aids wraith

wosl

What's the other decent song apart from the Art Angels title track, then?

Norton Canes

Gregory Torso

Grimes is great, bangers like, proper Krankies. The split she did with d'Eon way back that has Crystal Ball and Vanessa on it z great.

I don't care if she once drove a houseboat through a duck farm with Quentin from youth club, Kill vs Maim kicks like a coked up bouncer.

& I don't care if Elton Musk is raw dog dirting her over a gilded pile of dead young science award nominee orphans, as her white girl dreads whip the eyes out of an elderly grandma ostrich trying to lay the last egg of its species in teslas shitty space farm twat treatment plant as tiny humanity slides all the way back into biblical cot death, I don't watch her videos, don;t go on twitter, just enjoy her music.

REALITi, lovely stuff mate, growing my hair out, inking my shit, getting off this grey mud slide.

Head Gardener

Gregory is right you know

Head Gardener

ooh and early unmixed version of her new album Miss Anthropocene has just leaked

Head Gardener

Head Gardener

BlodwynPig

jumping on the 4am bandwagon