Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 02:44:21 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Grimes

Started by Head Gardener, September 05, 2019, 05:58:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hummingofevil

Mates... I am fucking obsessed with Violence but agree that nothing else she has done comes close to being vital.

chveik

this is one ugly album cover.

chveik

"Miss Anthopocene"... fuck off to mars with your bf and don't ever come back

Capt.Midnight

Not enjoyed anything post Art Angels unfortunately.

Her references and concepts are right up my street, but the finished output doesn't quite match it.

We Appreciate Power could have been 2 minutes shorter.

Violence just sounds well produced and generic, too glossy for me, not enough grime(s).

Pauline Walnuts

Quote from: chveik on November 02, 2019, 01:56:52 PM
this is one ugly album cover.

It's not, it's just picture she uploaded to Instagram or whatever it's called, the people who bootlegged the album just used it.

Actually, it might be the album artwork, but we dunno yet.

Norton Canes

Anyway who needs Grimes now we've got yeule 

Goldentony

we appreciate power sounds like kasabian and that album cover is mid 2000's metal demo shite, swerve until she ditches Egon

H-O-W-L

Her new album is "pro-climate change" because in her cracked out AIDS wraith mind this seems to make sense as a means of reversing the public opinion of global warming because "nobody cares about polar bears" and it will make everyone hate climate change if she makes a pro-climate-change album.

AAAAAAIDS.

Head Gardener

BlodwynPig

what a fucking prick. she's also changed her stage name to 'c'

c u l8r

falafel

Meanwhile over in the Morrissey thread, a few gentle jokes at the expense of the harmless racist old cunt.

Even if the vitriol in this thread is performative, it does come across as a bit... misogynistic

Norton Canes

Fantastic, can we have more music by people with cracked out AIDS wraith minds please

Pauline Walnuts

Quote from: falafel on November 06, 2019, 09:36:53 AM
Meanwhile over in the Morrissey thread, a few gentle jokes at the expense of the harmless racist old cunt.

Even if the vitriol in this thread is performative, it does come across as a bit... misogynistic

Oh, come on it's just people offering their subjective opinions, it's nothing like that bad...

Quote from: Goldentony on November 05, 2019, 06:29:45 PM
sounds like kasabian

'kin hell, that's a hate crime right there.

chveik

have you read the Morrissey thread?

she's becoming a cunt, what do you want us to say

H-O-W-L

Is it misogynistic for I -- a woman, for what it's worth. I hate to play the card but it is plenty relevant, even if I do agree that it's not impossible (in the least) for women to be misogynistic -- to call another woman a cracked-out AIDS wraith if she's well-known for doing drugs and going into pseudopsychotic episodes because of her drug abuse? She's spent most of her career since Visions trying to cover up the fact that she (by her own admission) does a shitload of adderall & has been around a lot of people who do drugs, going so far as to remove mentions of it from Wikipedia herself. This isn't the only part of her that I'm criticizing though, it's just an easy jibe because I'm a total arsehole.

I didn't make any specific jibes about her gender or her appearance. The closest I would consider misogynistic there is the use of "wraith" but that's also a big plasma-lobbing vehicle in Halo and despite the fact you could squint enough to make it sound female-exclusive, wraith really isn't gender-exclusive, it's derived from a general scots-gaelic word for ghost. Calling her AIDS is just the CaB standard for "terrible", isn't it? Is it really that misogynistic?

Very baffled where the accusations of misogynism are coming from. I think she's a shit artist who has sold out her principles to become more popular. Her gender has nothing to do with it for me. I threw Trent Reznor under that very same bus a couple years back, though it wasn't documented here because I wasn't using this site at the time. Is it misandrist for me to say I think he's a rubber-faced bone man who's lost absolutely all of spark and has been an unrelenting shitehawk toward his vastly far too forgiving fans? Is it really?

Misogynist criticism of female performers is a genuine issue but not all criticism of female performers is misogynist. Don't be so quick to leap to it.

falafel

Yeah, after I posted I had a look through the posts again and I can't really work out where I got the impression from. I mean it's all a bit personal but... Maybe I'm just primed to interpret personal criticism of famous women as inherently misogynistic.

Aids wraith just means a ghost with aids, usually refers to an Indian or Australian or English cricketer rather than some bleating synth runt.

BlodwynPig

She's a sell-out ghoul, essentially, ghoul being a female ghost.

peanutbutter

Morrissey has been irrelevant and an outright cunt for ages at this stage, Grimes arguably peaked with her last album.

If the responses are more heightened I think a lot of it is because people are frustrated that she's been so disappointing in the time since.

H-O-W-L

Quote from: peanutbutter on November 07, 2019, 08:30:17 AM
Morrissey has been irrelevant and an outright cunt for ages at this stage, Grimes arguably peaked with her last album.

If the responses are more heightened I think a lot of it is because people are frustrated that she's been so disappointing in the time since.

That and Grimes did make quite a point out of posturing about how clean her political arse was before all this absolute bollocks.

Goldentony

I DON'T READ THE FUKING MORRISSEY THREAD BECAUSE I DONT GIVE A FUCK ABOUT HIM OR HIS SHIT FAT MUSIC AND IM NOT A FUKING THICK DOG FUCKING AIDS BEAST

Pauline Walnuts

Real album cover:

Not sure that's better to be honest.

anyone want a limited white vinyl with a signed insert? https://4ad.com/releases/907

sevendaughters

heard 'So Heavy I Fell Through The Earth', nothing really happening here, move on. hate those cheap digital reverbs.

PlanktonSideburns

Loving the heel turn she's done

spaghetamine

as a younger man i used to fancy the fuck out of her, less so these days

Gregory Torso

Quote from: spaghetamine on November 16, 2019, 02:17:12 PM

That's good to know, thanks.

spaghetamine

Quote from: Gregory Torso on November 16, 2019, 08:48:08 PM
That's good to know, thanks.

stay tuned for more illuminating insights

H-O-W-L

Quote from: OnlyRegisteredSoICanRead on November 15, 2019, 04:09:43 PM
Real album cover:

Not sure that's better to be honest.

anyone want a limited white vinyl with a signed insert? https://4ad.com/releases/907

I know nobody will believe that I'm not trying to be an overcynical shit but christ that really is ugly. Really bad early-2000s Poser model visuals there. Just really nasty looking and not in an "it's ugly" way I mean in a "it is qualitatively shit" way. The art on the vinyl is much better even if I don't personally like it.

Pauline Walnuts

Quote from: spaghetamine on November 16, 2019, 02:17:12 PM