Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 01:16:25 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Grimes

Started by Head Gardener, September 05, 2019, 05:58:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sebastian Cobb

[tag]This be the verse[/tag]

Head Gardener

Head Gardener

New album is out. Doesn't really break any new ground, but I like it.

Head Gardener

jobotic

Quote from: hummingofevil on December 14, 2019, 03:10:57 AM
Have just got my good headphones out to listen to this in excited anticipation. Urgh.

"Jogging" drum and bass (as I refer to it) it the worst music ever. I fucking love Jungle and garage so much but that bum..... chunk, bum... chuck lazy beat is the worst thing in music. Utter dogshit that track. Soz.

That track without the beats is a mint ambient track.
Totally agree. One of the worst sounds there is. You might as well just shout MEDIOCRE over the top of it. The Chase and Status sound. And like you, I love jungle.

sevendaughters

listened to the album yesterday. curate's egg really. So Heavy etc works better as an opener. Violence, Idoru, and Delete Forever are strong enough. There are a few misfires and then the rest somewhere in the 'fine I guess' territory. Not the nu-metal Battlefield Earth homage I was expecting. Instead some of it sounds like Jewel and Enigma.

Pauline Walnuts

Quote from: sevendaughters on February 22, 2020, 04:27:21 PM
Not the nu-metal Battlefield Earth homage I was expecting.

Tried the new Poppy album?

Pauline Walnuts

Polymorphia

This thread's recently active so it don't feel like necroing...
I've basically only listened to the single We Appreciate Power, which was recommended by the YouTube randomly, and I kinda liked though mostly for the guitar bits in it...
If any of of youse Grimes fans can recommend me tracks to listen to this from this, it'd be grand, because I get people pontificating about Grimes but I never seem to be able to get into her music, even the recced Grimes tracks YT gives me aren't to my taste (can't remember what they are), is there stuff just like We Appreciate Power out there?

Bazooka

I don't think she has ever topped Genesis or Oblivion, Visions just had bangers on it.  Her new stuff all sounds nice but doesn't follow Visions.

alan nagsworth

Unrelated to Polymorphia's query (sorry!), I've been listening to "Visions" and "Art Angels" a bit recently whilst cooking and even though I do love "Visions", I think "Art Angels" is far and away her best work. It is an excellent modern pop album, I seem to recall a lot of people (fans and haters alike) bitching about it at the time, but in the five years that have passed it stands up extremely strong against contemporary standards.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: alan nagsworth on May 12, 2020, 10:16:06 AM
Unrelated to Polymorphia's query (sorry!), I've been listening to "Visions" and "Art Angels" a bit recently whilst cooking and even though I do love "Visions", I think "Art Angels" is far and away her best work. It is an excellent modern pop album, I seem to recall a lot of people (fans and haters alike) bitching about it at the time, but in the five years that have passed it stands up extremely strong against contemporary standards.

Detour from thread, sorry, but I was meaning to recommend this to you, a lot of it sounds like a more spaced out Grimes but better

Naadyn - Galaxy

Head Gardener

yes that's very nice, spacey than Grimes but lovely and very lush, thanks for the tip

JesusAndYourBush

Quote from: Polymorphia on May 12, 2020, 12:57:14 AM
This thread's recently active so it don't feel like necroing...
I've basically only listened to the single We Appreciate Power, which was recommended by the YouTube randomly, and I kinda liked though mostly for the guitar bits in it...
If any of of youse Grimes fans can recommend me tracks to listen to this from this, it'd be grand, because I get people pontificating about Grimes but I never seem to be able to get into her music, even the recced Grimes tracks YT gives me aren't to my taste (can't remember what they are), is there stuff just like We Appreciate Power out there?

"Kill V Maim" was my entry point into Grimes that made me want to investigate further, so try that.

Polymorphia

Thanks for the recs all, I will definitely check them out, and hopefully be able to like Grimes's other work.

And with regards to alan nagsworth's post, I heard someone say that Art Angels was the worst thing she ever did (I think Grimes herself said as such, which may have influenced that opinion), though obviously music taste is subjective, and obviously I can't comment on this statement yet...

earl_sleek

Count me as someone who thinks Art Angels is her best work as well. I think a lot of Grimes fans hated it cos they thought she was selling out with it.