Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 02:01:42 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Stupid questions you always wanted answering

Started by Mr_Simnock, September 05, 2019, 11:59:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jobotic

Is my nephew's dad related to me and if so what is he? He's not married to my sister, in fact they haven't been together for years, but his son is my nephew so we must be something.

Why does milk go yellow when it's frozen then back to white when it unfreezes? Well?

NoSleep

Quote from: jobotic on September 09, 2019, 10:08:12 AM
Is my nephew's dad related to me and if so what is he? He's not married to my sister, in fact they haven't been together for years, but his son is my nephew so we must be something.

Stepbrother-in-law? EDIT: nah

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: NoSleep on September 09, 2019, 09:04:04 AM
Some plastics can be recycled by rechipping it and using it to manufacture again. Of course you can't be choosy about what colour it's going to be. LDPE, HDPE and the vinyl used to make records can all be recycled. In the latter case you can tell when rechipped vinyl has been used as it tends to be full of dust and crackles like an old record from day one. Also, when you put an LP up to the light, it you can see what colour most of the rechipped material was made up from (if it wasn't black to start with). "Virgin vinyl" is, of course, preferable for high quality releases.

You can't do this with all plastics. The above mentioned are all thermoplastics that are melted down and molded or extruded. Other types, like nylon, are the result of chemical reactions, so would be more difficult to recycle.

On some documentary about house music one of the guys said to cut costs they used overruns of used vinyl at the pressing plant. Instead of melting it down they simply sanded the groove off and pressed it again.

NoSleep

It was assumption on my part that they rechipped the vinyl; I definitely know this happens for LDPE & HDPE (and, if I remember correctly, PVC) because I've seen it.
Regarding vinyl used in record manufacturing, I believe it's delivered to the stamper as a puck which is formed into the shape of the record using heat and pressure, so why not use old records instead.

gib

You know the metal thing that stamps the records (the master?), presumably they have to be made on a machine. Was it the case that all recording studios had one of these machines?

phantom_power

Quote from: gib on September 09, 2019, 11:57:51 AM
You know the metal thing that stamps the records (the master?), presumably they have to be made on a machine. Was it the case that all recording studios had one of these machines?

All pressing plants would do. I imagine you send the tape you want put on record rather than a master record?

NoSleep

Recording studios don't all deal with cutting records. Most would only go as far as producing the final mixes onto tape, before the digital age.

Some studios deal only with mastering and cutting records and a few do both (like Abbey Road).

The part of the process that the cutting room is involved with is cutting the acetate, which looks like a record (and can even be played like one). It's this that is sent to the record manufacturer, where stampers are made (not directly from the acetate, but from a copy of a copy, so that further stampers can be reproduced after wear and tear). At one time there were cuts made into metal (Direct Metal Mastering) which cut out one of the stages for higher quality.

Zetetic

Quote from: touchingcloth on September 08, 2019, 11:27:55 PM
Why did the British army send so many paratroopers during The Troubles when presumably the number of occasions when parachutes were needed was zero?
Not a pressing need for parachute-deployments elsewhere, so why not use them?

1st Battalion, Paras is, and I guess was, a large part of the Commando/Special Forces troops. Whether that's what was actually needed to patrol the streets of Northern Ireland... (Bloody Sunday suggests otherwise.)

No idea why 2nd Battalion was chosen. I guess the general idea is that the Parachute Regiment is meant to be relatively flexible and versatile? Which is not quite the same thing as being suited to peacekeeping in the UK, mind you.

I too would be interested in an answer from someone who actually knows what they're talking about.

Dex Sawash

Probably so that in the event things went poorly they could jump off NI to return home.

checkoutgirl

Quote from: touchingcloth on September 08, 2019, 11:27:55 PM
Why did the British army send so many paratroopers during The Troubles when presumably the number of occasions when parachutes were needed was zero?

Are paralegals lawyers who jump out of helicopters into the court?

touchingcloth

Quote from: checkoutgirl on September 09, 2019, 01:01:55 PM
Are paralegals lawyers who jump out of helicopters into the court?

Yes. I hope you PM'd NoSleep to claim your reward for answering his question.

Quote from: NoSleep on September 09, 2019, 07:20:03 AM
I wonder how many other professions are named after the mode of transport they use to get to work (and not counting the many occasions that they don't)?

touchingcloth

Quote from: Zetetic on September 09, 2019, 12:31:39 PM
No idea why 2nd Battalion was chosen. I guess the general idea is that the Parachute Regiment is meant to be relatively flexible and versatile? Which is not quite the same thing as being suited to peacekeeping in the UK, mind you.

Yeah, I guess my question was more "what is point paratroopers?" rather than anything specifically to do with Ireland. If someone qualified does deign to step in with an answer, may as well throw marines into the mix given that someone else has mentioned them now. Why do these air and sea units exist and mainly seem to do things on dry land? Wouldn't it be best if the people whose jobs are to keep peace are given a more fitting name like, simply, "soldier" or "Pakibane"?

weekender

Why do I never see anyone from Moldova playing Mario Kart online?

Captain Z

Decent video on making vinyl records here:

Pt1: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xUGRRUecBik
Pt2: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IReDh9ec_rk

Personally I have never bothered to Google understood how you get stereo sound from a single groove.

NoSleep

That's done by reading both sides of the groove separately. The angle (of the stylus tip) between the left and right side is 90° to minimise the interference between them.

a duncandisorderly

Quote from: Captain Z on September 09, 2019, 01:44:47 PM
Decent video on making vinyl records here:

Pt1: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xUGRRUecBik
Pt2: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IReDh9ec_rk

Personally I have never bothered to Google understood how you get stereo sound from a single groove.

CDs sounded impressive at first because of the better stereo separation (wider, in other words), & fewer of the artifacts that you might get in a sub-optimal turntable set-up, like distortion & surface noise & so on.

but really it's CDs that are shit.

NoSleep

CDs sounded really shit to begin with, but improvements in the technology combined with getting used to digital sound has improved my reaction to them.

It was a real shock initially that there was complete silence between each track on an album. It was like an abyss.

touchingcloth

Quote from: Captain Z on September 09, 2019, 01:44:47 PM

I think it's just a slightly more complex version of it being the reverse of what a speaker cone does. I think the grooves are actually cut left-to-right rather than up-and-down, so a stylus doesn't read music by hopping along the groove but by swaying back and forth inside it, with the right and left "slopes" of the grooves translating to right and left audio channels.

Here's a picture.

zomgmouse

How the fuck has this thread gone 3 pages without any replies from buzby? What's going on?

touchingcloth

Quote from: zomgmouse on September 09, 2019, 03:23:55 PM
How the fuck has this thread gone 3 pages without any replies from buzby? What's going on?

He's been waiting at the pharmacy counter for a fortnight.

paruses

Quote from: touchingcloth on September 09, 2019, 03:25:32 PM
He's been waiting at the pharmacy counter for a fortnight.

On that subject - why does it take so long? Anyone would think the pharmacists are taking the drugs themselves!!

Quote from: Zetetic on September 09, 2019, 12:31:39 PM
Not a pressing need for parachute-deployments elsewhere, so why not use them?

1st Battalion, Paras is, and I guess was, a large part of the Commando/Special Forces troops. Whether that's what was actually needed to patrol the streets of Northern Ireland... (Bloody Sunday suggests otherwise.)

I too would be interested in an answer from someone who actually knows what they're talking about.
Paras are infantry based, with the ability to parachute if needed (how many that are trained to do that or if it is needed any more en masse is a different story) So they aswell as Marines and other army regiments have the ability to perform routine patrols as NI needed. Storys I have heard is when the Marines and Paras went to NI the IRA calmed down, then when other Army regiments went, they acted up again. Same with the Taliban.

Question I want answering though is, if you were an inch into your mum, and your dad was an inch into you. Which way would you go? You can't say sideways.

Zetetic

Quote from: That_Boy_Marner on September 09, 2019, 05:07:46 PM
have the ability to perform routine patrols as NI needed. Storys I have heard is when the Marines and Paras went to NI the IRA calmed down, then when other Army regiments went, they acted up again.
I guess I'd want to balance these things with how many unarmed civilians they gunned down.

I appreciate you get pretty much anyone to perform a "routine patrol".

a duncandisorderly

Quote from: That_Boy_Marner on September 09, 2019, 05:07:46 PM
Question I want answering though is, if you were an inch into your mum, and your dad was an inch into you. Which way would you go? You can't say sideways.

back & forth until everyone was happy. any hole's a goal, amirite?

a duncandisorderly

Quote from: NoSleep on September 09, 2019, 01:58:12 PM
CDs sounded really shit to begin with, but improvements in the technology combined with getting used to digital sound has improved my reaction to them.

It was a real shock initially that there was complete silence between each track on an album. It was like an abyss.

there's my problem right there. every time you play a record or a tape, it sounds different because these are electro-mechanical processes with lots of physical & electromagnetic variables introducing 'errors' into the audio. that makes it a different experience every time you play it, whether you're conscious of this or not. CDs are like frozen food.... static by comparison.... until they go wrong, & start skipping, at which point huge chunks of data are lost.... many milliseconds, rather than the one or two milliseconds a click lasts on vinyl or a dropout on decent tape.
I bought CDs of albums I knew from listening to them hundreds of times off vinyl &/or cassette, & after two or three plays of the CD, I never wanted to hear the album again. I call it 'psycho-acoustic fingerprinting', but in short- there are no surprises for the brain, just the same data it heard last time, without the many nuances that analogue playback brings.

frozen food vs fresh fruit & veg.

anyway, probably the wrong thread for this bollocks.

touchingcloth

^ that's an interesting point, and a better defence of analogue over digital than I think I've heard before (ITS WARMER I LIKE WARM HOT MUSIC) or any of the usual audiophile type bollocks about gold connectors and whatnot.

I wonder if your CD experience could be rescued if random vinyl noise were overlaid? Like you say, probably one for Oscillations rather than here, wouldn't want to drive Neil too loopy.

Quote from: Zetetic on September 09, 2019, 05:20:01 PM
I guess I'd want to balance these things with how many unarmed civilians they gunned down.

I appreciate you get pretty much anyone to perform a "routine patrol".
Card Alpha is what they would have been working under.

So what happens when they think someone might have a weapon, however they have a fear of some lawyer persecuting them, then get shot in that split second? I'm sorry but it is kill or be killed.

Sometimes you might get the decision wrong, like we all do. I think until you have been and lived in a war zone, you can't judge what people do there.

Paul Calf

Quote from: That_Boy_Marner on September 09, 2019, 06:01:33 PM

So what happens when they think someone might have a weapon, however they have a fear of some lawyer persecuting them, then get shot in that split second? I'm sorry but it is kill or be killed.

Sometimes you might get the decision wrong, like we all do. I think until you have been and lived in a war zone, you can't judge what people do there.

The simple solution to this would be "Don't go to a fucking war zone then."

touchingcloth

Quote from: That_Boy_Marner on September 09, 2019, 06:01:33 PM

This. Unless you've been to a war you're unqualified to pass commentary or judgement on the act of telling an unarmed person to shuffle off this mortal coil before blasting the fuck out of them with a gun.

Zetetic