Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 05:19:04 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Umunna to stand as MP for Cities of London and Westminster

Started by Fambo Number Mive, September 06, 2019, 05:22:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fambo Number Mive

Helen Thompson has tweeted she is resuming the role of Lib Dem PPC for Streatham.

Ironic how Umunna didn't want to have a by-election when he changed parties (twice) and now doesn't want to stand in Streatham at the next election.

He'll be standing against that charming man Mark Field.

Let's turn Streatham and Cities of London and Westminster red for Labour and show Umunna and Field!

Sebastian Cobb

If he gets beaten and loses his status as an MP I'll laugh my bollocks off.

Fambo Number Mive

QuoteMr Umunna said: "I worked as a solicitor in the City and West End and I know they are the last places that should be represented by one of Mr Johnson's MPs who has just voted to enable a no-deal Brexit.

"The City is the centre of international values, while the West End is home to our greatest creative industries. These centres are telling us that Brexit will be bad for them."

Shoulders?-Stomach!

idunnosomename

can he change party to conservative before an election?

honeychile

2017 in that constituency:

Conservative / 18,005 / 46.6% / -7.5%
Labour / 14,857 / 38.4% / +11%
Lib Dems / 4,270 / 11.1% / +4.1%

Bring it on.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

NoSleep

He's going to guarantee that the Tories keep it by stealing votes from Labour.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Quote from: NoSleep on September 06, 2019, 06:29:09 PM

Depends on the Tory fall-away but yeah that is pretty much open war by Lib Dems on Labour given its a completely stupid seat to attempt to win. After Peterborough.

Scum

Dr Rock

Chukka's gonna split the vote. Between Ian Kettering's Traffic Lights Give You Cancer Party and Bubble Off Big Brother (Independent).

Cuellar

Surely Chuka appeals to the 'progressive' Tories more than Labour? Maybe I've been in the CaB bubble too long

Non Stop Dancer

That cunt's had more parties than... Oh I don't know, Lady Di.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

In a just world his repellant characteristics would ensure he finished last, even behind that candidate who wants to ''crush the disabled into little tiny bits''

NoSleep

Quote from: Cuellar on September 06, 2019, 08:07:17 PM
Surely Chuka appeals to the 'progressive' Tories more than Labour? Maybe I've been in the CaB bubble too long

How is that not stealing votes from Labour? Apparently the 4000 gap between Tory and Labour in 2017 was a hard won effort on the part of the Labour candidate. And about 4000 voted for the Libdems. This new development seems  a counter strategy to "anyone but the Tories". And I'm pretty certain it also means that Umunna won't win and hasn't been offered a safe seat by his new friends. All it will do is fuck up Labour.

jobotic

It is pretty funny that he's new friends haven't offered him a safe seat.

And also that he knows he wouldn't win in Streatham even though there was no need for a by-election because they people there voted for HIM because they love him.

Fambo Number Mive

If Umunna splits the anti-Tory vote Field might get back in.

Lib Dems came third in the seat in every election since 1987.

Cuellar

Quote from: NoSleep on September 06, 2019, 08:33:37 PM
How is that not stealing votes from Labour?

Well what I meant was Tories who don't like the Tory Party going full-Brexit party might vote Lib Dem instead of Tory. Might be far fetched.

peanutbutter

Is there any point even talking about it, Westminister seems like the area that's pretty much always gonna be Lib Dem and Labour splitting the vote in a big way from each other surely?

If Chuka didn't run whatever other Lib Dem runs would probably do pretty well in a place like that (which surely is an FBPE stronghold?). If anything it seems a shame they couldn't find someone who isn't likely to receive a lot of resistance from Labour voters in the area.

Paul Calf

idunnosomename

He will always remember... Anna.... <3.....

Still, business is business.

imitationleather

If I was Chuka and they offered me a seat like that I'd be so annoyed that I'd go and join another party.

Funcrusher

Quote from: jobotic on September 06, 2019, 08:46:20 PM
It is pretty funny that he's new friends haven't offered him a safe seat.

I had totally presumed that he would have been gifted a safe seat, so this is pretty funny news. He's really fucked it up.

idunnosomename

Fucker will get board position for a thousand quid a minute as a bald ex-mp tho wont he

Ferris

Then he'll leave the lib dems, join the Tories, and the stitch up will be complete.

Umunna out here playin 5D chess

The Culture Bunker

Quote from: Funcrusher on September 06, 2019, 10:02:45 PM
I had totally presumed that he would have been gifted a safe seat, so this is pretty funny news. He's really fucked it up.
I am wondering if he's got some inside track that tells him he has a real shot at this seat. If he gets it, it's something of a wee coup for the little prick, isn't it?

peanutbutter

Weren't the Lib Dems doing all women shortlists for a lot of seats this year? Not something I'm against at all, but it's a very lib dem kind of thing to not back down from, the opportunity of being able to brag about being the party with the highest proportion of women.
Can't imagine Chuka had too many options RE: safe seats as a result.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Quote from: FerriswheelBueller on September 06, 2019, 10:35:50 PM
Then he'll leave the lib dems, join the Tories, and the stitch up will be complete.

Umunna out here playin 5D chess

5D chess deep into the 9th mate, injury time

Blumf

Quote from: imitationleather on September 06, 2019, 09:45:03 PM
If I was Chuka and they offered me a seat like that I'd be so annoyed that I'd go and join another party.

Only a couple[1] left before he joins The Brexit Party

[1] Greens, and UKIP

Pinball

chveik