Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 11:36:23 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Umunna to stand as MP for Cities of London and Westminster

Started by Fambo Number Mive, September 06, 2019, 05:22:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ferris

Urinal Cake

Quote from: FerriswheelBueller on September 06, 2019, 10:35:50 PM
Then he'll leave the lib dems, join the Tories, and the stitch up will be complete.

Umunna out here playin 5D chess
You laugh but guys like this always make a comeback. The only problem I see is that he doesn't seem to have a fanatical fanbase. 

greencalx

A colleague was suggesting that Lab and Lib should have an electoral pact to see off the tories in England. The popular line of course will be that it won't happen due to Corbyn's intransigence. But doesn't this just show that the LDs have no interest in the idea either. Unless they want to hang Umunna out to dry.

imitationleather

Quote from: greencalx on September 07, 2019, 09:26:03 AM
A colleague was suggesting that Lab and Lib should have an electoral pact to see off the tories in England. The popular line of course will be that it won't happen due to Corbyn's intransigence. But doesn't this just show that the LDs have no interest in the idea either. Unless they want to hang Umunna out to dry.

Definitely. If, as is being reported, Berger stands in Finchley and Golders Green it's even more obvious that they're intending to split the Labour vote.

Just look at dem 2017 results:
Conservative    Mike Freer   24,599
Labour Jeremy   Newmark   22,942
Liberal Democrat   Jonathan Davies   3,463

Is she standing there purely to make a point about anti-Semitism? Seems a bit cynical if so.

pigamus

Quote from: Paul Calf on September 06, 2019, 09:20:39 PM
Has Chuka fucked his career?

That's hilarious.

He fucked it the day he decided to run for Labour leader and then un-decided 24 hours later. Still love to know what happened there.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Phil_A

Quote from: pigamus on September 07, 2019, 09:36:04 AM
He fucked it the day he decided to run for Labour leader and then un-decided 24 hours later. Still love to know what happened there.

I reckon some kind of deal must've been struck with one of the other candidates that Chuck would drop out of the race in exchange for a juicy shadow cabinet role, that's the only thing that makes sense to me.

NoSleep

I think they're still buoyed by the LibDems success in the MEP elections as they did well in London; better than Labour or the Tories. I'm not sure that translates in a GE.

greencalx

Me neither. I think the crucial thing is how many people recognise that it's a binary choice between No Deal and Corbyn.

I am very worried that popular aversion to the latter will land us with the former.

Ferris

I think the lib dems have done an impressive job as branding themselves as the remain party, and will do a lot better than previous GEs. That said, I'd be delighted if Chuka lost.

peanutbutter

It's gonna be a Tory/Lib Dem coalition with the Lib Dems giving up absolutely everything for a second referendum, isn't it? They've probably told themselves it's the safe choice because they've been in government with them before and that all went fine.

Blumf

Tory/Lib Dem coalition and they happily wave through no deal for access to the government limos again.

Ferris

Quote from: peanutbutter on September 07, 2019, 12:30:05 PM
It's gonna be a Tory/Lib Dem coalition with the Lib Dems giving up absolutely everything for a second referendum, isn't it? They've probably told themselves it's the safe choice because they've been in government with them before and that all went fine.

I mean, best will in the world I think Labour are sleepwalking into a complete disaster this GE. They're appealing to the Labour faithful and no one else, and even then I expect them to lose a number of former safe seats to Farage's evil mob and/or Umunna & co.

The election will be treated as a second referendum, and in a "do you want A or B" referendum, you won't get many people voting for "hmm not sure on A or B, can we have another referendum instead". It'll be big gains for Brexit Party and Lib Dems.

Other opinions are available, of course. I don't live in the UK so can only speculate.

NoSleep

I don't think it's so bleak for the Labour Party. People will vote for them as the safe bet to get a 2nd referendum. Voting for the most rampantly remain party (and thus allowing the Tories back into power) does not guarantee that.

Ferris

Quote from: NoSleep on September 07, 2019, 12:58:34 PM
I don't think it's so bleak for the Labour Party. People will vote for them as the safe bet to get a 2nd referendum. Voting for the most rampantly remain party (and thus allowing the Tories back into power) does not guarantee that.

I suspect you've put more thought into it than Joe Public, though I'd be happy to be proved wrong.

NoSleep

I'm sure that relevant outlets will provide guides to tactical voting, as we have seen in previous elections. No party is likely to walk into an election pledging to ally with others as it tends to work against them and isn't a good political stance.

holyzombiejesus

Just seen that Farron is trying to "broker a deal" whereby the LibDems don't put a candidate up against Rory Stewart. Not only that, apparently the Green Party have also said they won't campaign against him. So that's the LibDems standing aside to help a leaver who wants to leave the customs union and single market, yet they refuse to work with Corbyn as he's a "brexiteer".

Fambo Number Mive

Green Party deputy leader says the part about the Greens is incorrect

I can imagine Rory Stewart as Lib Dem leader in 2025 once Umunna goes to the House of Lords

king_tubby

touchingcloth

José

Quote from: Fambo Number Mive on September 08, 2019, 09:13:03 PM
I can imagine Rory Stewart as Lib Dem leader in 2025 once Umunna goes to the House of Lords

i can imagine rory stewart as my personal AIDS gimp, making that sad uh oh du-rag face as i kick a sockful of snooker balls up his arse.

Johnny Yesno

https://www.theneweuropean.co.uk/top-stories/lib-dems-could-stand-aside-for-rory-stewart-1-6258912

QuoteThe Times reports that former Liberal Democrat leader Tim Farron is in talks with Rory Stewart and existing Lib Dem leader Jo Swinson to broker a deal.

The newspaper reports that Stewart would stand as an independent MP for the next election but could accept a "soft Lib Dem whip" in exchange for the party not standing against him, despite peddling proposals for a "soft Brexit" and opposing a People's Vote.

It claims that the Green Party could also form part of the pact.

A similar proposal could be created for other Tory rebels considering standing again including Sam Gyimah, Margot James and Philip Hammond.

The story was quickly refuted by the Green Party, although has yet to be rubbished by the Lib Dems.

A Green Party spokesperson today said: "We are not in any talks with expelled Tories and we will not be considering this.

"The Green Party is entirely focused on getting rid of the Tory government, remaining in the European Union, addressing the climate emergency and ending the disastrous policy of austerity."

They added: "We have a call for candidates for the seat out now and we have every intention of standing. It is in an area where we are fast growing our representation in local government."

Cuellar

Could accept a soft Lib Dem whip oooffffff dirty old bollocks

Fambo Number Mive

He's written a column in the Independent about how Labour and the Tories are rubbish and everyone should join the Lib Dems, and how terrible it was that the Tory rebels were expelled from the party.

QuoteLabour has fought to make a 20th century voting coalition – born of class and left/right politics – work for it in the 21st – where increasingly, the liberal/conservative and internationalist/nationalist fulcrum divides its support base.

What? Does Chuka think that class is not relevant in the 21st century?

He also writes

QuoteUp until recently, politics in our country primarily played out along left/right and traditional class lines. But the general election of 2017 began to illustrate how class ties to parties were weakening and are no longer the strong driver of voting intention that they once were, with a swing towards Labour among better-off Britons and a shift towards the Conservatives among some lower-income groups.

Fairly sure that we had working class Tories and middle class Labour supporters as far back as the 1980s, if not earlier?

The article isn't worth a link

I wouldn't take any claims of the Lib Dems refusing to work with Corbyn seriously. They were saying they'd refuse to work with Labour to avert no deal three weeks ago and we saw how that ended. They made a deal across those opposition benches, held firm and rattled the fuck out of the Tories.

Nobody with any sense* would ever go into an election stating they'd be a coalition partner. If you do that, you haemorrhage votes. The Lib Dems are clearly targeting Tory seats in the south. Any mention of a Labour pact might just be enough to scare disenfranchised Tories back to the mothership or to abstain which serves neither the Lib Dems or Labour. So they'll play it down for now.

*lolClegg 2015

Ferris

I like that this only dawned on him in 2017 which is why his 2 acts of skullduggery happened immediately after, but prior to that it was completely fine that he was part of the establishment he is now criticizing.

Cardenio I

I'd say it is still eminently possible that we've already left the EU before the next election happens.