Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 20, 2024, 06:16:01 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Tropical Fuck Storm - Braindrops (2019) [Art Psych Punk]

Started by Vitalstatistix, September 07, 2019, 05:01:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vitalstatistix

They've got a new one out, it's class. Any fans here?

It's not miles away from A Laughing Death in Meatspace* in terms of tone and sound. Some tracks like "Who's my Eugene?" are definitely the poppiest stuff they've done so far, but on the whole it's quite a raggedy and unnerving listen, with more off-putting electronic noises around.

More space given to the female vocalists, which is great. Liddiard's voice and delivery is still the star of the show though. What a wry, smart and intense front man he is. Drones fans are presumably all over this, but I definitely think they deserve a wider audience.

My fave tracks from this one, probably "Paradise", "Aspirin" and the epic closer "Maria 63" which is a bloody masterpiece in itself!

For newcomers, this band is best consumed with alcohol and at loud volumes.

*upon reflection, my album of last year. So fucking good!

Inspector Norse

I thought the last one only just came out? I rather enjoyed that one, though, which as I'm someone who has barely listened to any new "indie" since I graduated in 2006 can be taken as a serious recommendation, so I'll definitely check this effort out, cheers.

Crabwalk

'A Laughing Death...' was one of my favourite records from last year and I had no idea a follow-up was due. Great news! Will dive straight in now...

thugler

Quote from: Inspector Norse on September 07, 2019, 08:13:58 PM
I thought the last one only just came out? I rather enjoyed that one, though, which as I'm someone who has barely listened to any new "indie" since I graduated in 2006 can be taken as a serious recommendation, so I'll definitely check this effort out, cheers.

I really enjoyed that one. Have only heard first two tracks of this and not clicked with it yet, but I'll give it a proper go this evening

Crabwalk

I've listened about five times so far and it has that same wild, addictive intensity that 'Meat Space' has. I don't think it's going to prove as strong an album overall, but the early standouts (first two tracks & 'The Happiest Guy Around') are pretty amazing.

Crabwalk

The first half of this record is better than either side of 'Meat Space'. It drops off a bit but, fucking hell, it comes out of the traps like a rabid velociraptor.

Vitalstatistix

You reckon? The closing track is wonderful though.... Quite tempted to try and get across to Manchester to see 'em.

Crabwalk

Yeah, Maria 63 is a great closer. The preceding couple haven't clicked with me yet. But that first half had me so revved up last night I genuinely struggled to get to sleep afterwards.