Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 04:46:19 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Why does the pharmacist take so long?

Started by sevendaughters, September 08, 2019, 08:35:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sevendaughters

Wait, I've figured it out.

They're slow because they're actually trying the drugs themselves.

God bless our NHS.

Replies From View

Quote from: The Boston Crab on September 08, 2019, 08:59:10 AM
I actually know a couple who run a pharmacy. Fuck me do they take themselves seriously. I dared to suggest that it was "like running a sweet shop" and they bored me senseless for the rest of the evening about the pressures blah blah blah.

Dedicated sweet shops are at least quite rare things these days, though.  What you get with pharmacies is an insidious glut of supply despite a modest dearth of demand.  Quite why they have the gall to continue pharmacing in this day and age I don't think I will ever know.  And so pompous too.  YOU ARE JUST A VENDING MACHINE YOU TWATS STOP PRETENDING TO BE DOCTORS.

I am glad I don't know anyone who runs a pharmacy because I dislike the social charade of pretending not to hate people.

pancreas

Quote from: touchingcloth on September 08, 2019, 12:03:40 PM
Does it actually take a long time, or does it just seem that way because they're on drugs?

No no, you don't understand, it was supposed to be a ... a one of those humour things ... jake? Forgotten the word.

gib

Quote from: sevendaughters on September 08, 2019, 11:26:21 AM
I know they're busy but, and hear me out: I have a prescription for a basic as hell drug. It's there on the shelf under 'A'.

Arse pills? They probably take them out the back for a go first.

Captain Z

Two pages in and nobody actually has any answer for why it takes so long. I mean, what are they doing back there? Trying the drugs out themselves!?

sevendaughters

I just read this response on reddit and am still not convinced.

QuoteI didn't study for four years and do a training year to be a glorified vending machine. We don't just pick it off the shelf and shove it in a bag.

We have to check it's legal. Then check if it's safe. You'd be surprised by how often it's wrong. Then we need to get hold of your prescriber to change it to make it safe.

Then someone else will pick it out. You go to Tesco and look at the digestive biscuits. How many types are there? They're all digestive biscuits but you have McVities, own brand, own brand finest, chocolate coated, dark chocolate coated. Same with drugs, only it's not as obvious which is which. Means we need to check it.

After we check it once, we need to put it down and do something else and come back, it's an extra barrier to making sure it's safe.

Also, you're not the only patient. There's the other people who were there before you. The staff can't give it out unless the pharmacist is there. They might be with another patient in the consultation room. Or might be grabbing a bite to eat at 4.30 pm because pharmacists in community pharmacies don't get a lunch break.

That's why.

Feel like a lot of this is flannelling!

bgmnts

So they have to check to make sure its the right drug?

Whoa.

Bence Fekete

The trouble with working in a pharmacy is that people do actually die and it's your actual, legal fault and although it looks frustratingly simple to cobble a bunch of generic boxes together and print a label when you have to do it +2,000 times/day and every single one needs to be 100% right and you have to manage the counter and evaluate the indications because doctors are often shockingly thick and pour the methadone and fill out the endless safety forms while preparing next weeks medisure before phoning ball-achingly slow receptionists because you have no scripts again all while Mrs Khan is giving you an earful because she's pretending to have lost her Ventolin for the third time that month and you're hungover anyway and the two Tramadol you took earlier haven't kicked in yet aligned with the fact that most pharmacies sold out decades ago to franchises run by pumped up shop-assistants with zero medical knowledge who are constantly pressurising you to mince every single last drop out of that sweet government revenue all at the expense of safety and professionalism and requirement and every single encounter with your customers is laced with a deep, vibrant suspicion that on some level you're trying to shaft them out of their righteous expectation to not die, then you too, dear civilian, are likely to run out of fucks. 

I could go on.

sevendaughters

Quote from: Bence Fekete on September 08, 2019, 02:02:52 PM
The trouble with working in a pharmacy is that people do actually die and it's your actual, legal fault and although it looks frustratingly simple to cobble a bunch of generic boxes together and print a label when you have to do it +2,000 times/day and every single one needs to be 100% right and you have to manage the counter and evaluate the indications because doctors are often shockingly thick and pour the methadone and fill out the endless safety forms while preparing next weeks medisure before phoning ball-achingly slow receptionists because you have no scripts again all while Mrs Khan is giving you an earful because she's pretending to have lost her Ventolin for the third time that month and you're hungover anyway and the two Tramadol you took earlier haven't kicked in yet aligned with the fact that most pharmacies sold out decades ago to franchises run by pumped up shop-assistants with zero medical knowledge who are constantly pressurising you to mince every single last drop out of that sweet government revenue all at the expense of safety and professionalism and requirement and every single encounter with your customers is laced with a deep, vibrant suspicion that on some level you're trying to shaft them out of their righteous expectation to not die, then you too, dear civilian, are likely to run out of fucks. 

I could go on.

yeah, but 30 mins? come on.

touchingcloth

Quote from: sevendaughters on September 08, 2019, 01:40:05 PM
I just read this response on reddit and am still not convinced.
QuoteI didn't study for four years and do a training year to be a glorified vending machine.

Correct. They studied for four years and did a training year to be a villified vending machine.

imitationleather

The impression I'm getting from all this is that pharmacists are mightily touchy and passive aggressive.

Probably a side effect from trying out all those drugs themselves.

If I go to a sweet shop with a peanut allergy and I ask for a Topic and die, it's also their legal responsibility so it's exactly the same.

touchingcloth

Quote from: The Boston Crab on September 08, 2019, 02:49:31 PM
If I go to a sweet shop with a peanut allergy and I ask for a Topic and die, it's also their legal responsibility so it's exactly the same.

QuoteI didn't study for four years and do a training year to be a glorified vending machine. That sort of training would be unnecessary for a sweet shop employee, and the time and cost commitments would be actively prohibitive in encouraging anyone to work in the sweet shop industry. We just pick it off the shelf and shove it in a bag.

We have to check it's legal. Then check if it's safe. You'd be surprised by how often it's wrong. But you soon learn which sweets contain which allergens, so if a customer asks for a Topic you can just say "be careful with this if you have a nut allergy, because the product you have asked for contains nuts. That's 79p, please." so I wouldn't say it's a problem after the first three or four days in the job, maybe a week for a slow person. I've also stopped checking if the sweets are legal, because they all are. All of them! No illegal sweets in this shop, no sir.

Then someone else will pick it out. You go to Tesco and look at the digestive biscuits. How many types are there? They're all digestive biscuits but you have McVities, own brand, own brand finest, chocolate coated, dark chocolate coated. Same with sweets, only it's not as obvious which is which. Means we need to check it. Then we just go "all of these are biscuits and we are a sweet shop, so we don't actually need to check it at all and we can leave that side of thing to Tescos when we want to buy digestives."

After we check it once, we need to put it down and do something else and come back, it's an extra barrier to making sure it's safe. I'm not really sure what I mean by that, but we need to put it down and do something else and then come back for some reason. That's an extra barrier to making sure it's safe, which sounds like a bad thing, but I guess we could change it and not put it down and do something else and come back and just give a customer a Topic essentially immediately after they ask for one because, as I've already explained, it's really quite easy

Also, you're not the only customer. There's the other people who were there before you. The staff can't give it out unless the Ian Mars is there...actually, wait, they can give it out without Ian Mars being here, and the other customers aren't causing much of an issue because - and here's the secret to our success - we've implemented an innovative process for high street shopping called the "queue". Here is your Topic. Good day.

Captain Z

I could go on.

I bet sometimes you feel like taking those drugs yourself!

touchingcloth

The trouble with working in a pharmacy is that we take all of the drugs.

If like most pharmacists you took all of the drugs, then you too, dear civilian, are likely to run out of fucks. 

I could go on, but I've taken all of the drugs.

chveik

never had to wait for my meds at the pharmacist. they're effective & polite people. 5/5. would recommend

Al Tha Funkee Homosapien

So basically loads of stuff that could be done better by an AI sexbot/pharmacist.

Also maybe they put all the drugs up their bumholes first?

imitationleather

If they were something useful like sexbots maybe people wouldn't need so many anti-depressants.

sevendaughters

Quote from: imitationleather on September 08, 2019, 03:23:21 PM
If they were something useful like sexbots maybe people wouldn't need so many anti-depressants.

or go outside for exercisebots

Al Tha Funkee Homosapien

An AI sexbot/pharmacist that despences you 14 sildenafil and then rides you for a week. Cheer you up on a drizzly Tuesday afternoon.

chveik

Quote from: Replies From View on September 08, 2019, 12:15:12 PM
Dedicated sweet shops are at least quite rare things these days, though.  What you get with pharmacies is an insidious glut of supply despite a modest dearth of demand.  Quite why they have the gall to continue pharmacing in this day and age I don't think I will ever know.  And so pompous too.  YOU ARE JUST A VENDING MACHINE YOU TWATS STOP PRETENDING TO BE DOCTORS.

this is unfair. you have to go through long and difficult studies to become a pharmacist (it's 7 years here, my half-sister had to study it because she wanted to become a biology researcher).

gib

Quote from: The Boston Crab on September 08, 2019, 02:49:31 PM

hazelnuts mate

Gurke and Hare

Quote from: sevendaughters on September 08, 2019, 11:26:21 AM
I know they're busy but, and hear me out: I have a prescription for a basic as hell drug. It's there on the shelf under 'A'. I can point them to it. It comes in two dosages. The consultant has written it so all the woman at the window has to do (in theory! there could be an arcane process here I do not know about) is walk over and get it, put it in a bag, and hand it over.

Well, the woman at the window probably isn't the pharmacist, so she can't do that if it's a prescription drug. And get this: there are other people with prescriptions who handed them in before you. They're not just making you wait half an hour for a laugh.

touchingcloth

Quote from: gib on September 08, 2019, 04:08:40 PM
hazelnuts mate

What's your point? If Bosto:

• Goes to a sweet shop with a peanut allergy
  • Asks for a Topic
  • Dies

any rational person can see that that is the legal fault of the sweet shop.

touchingcloth

Quote from: Gurke and Hare on September 08, 2019, 04:12:31 PM
Well, the woman at the window probably isn't the pharmacist, so she can't do that if it's a prescription drug. And get this: there are other people with prescriptions who handed them in before you. They're not just making you wait half an hour for a laugh.

I think they are. They've eaten all the drugs and then got the munchies and eaten all the Topics, then just stand around going "what are all these people standing around for? Ahahaha look at them just waiting ahahahahaha. Drugs."

gib

Quote from: touchingcloth on September 08, 2019, 04:13:24 PM
What's your point? If Bosto:

• Goes to a sweet shop with a peanut allergy
  • Asks for a Topic
  • Dies

any rational person can see that that is the legal fault of the sweet shop.

hazelnuts though

touchingcloth