Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,559,182
  • Total Topics: 106,348
  • Online Today: 719
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 04:37:28 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Saddest Deaths In Comedy?

Started by MortSahlFan, September 08, 2019, 01:28:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MortSahlFan

Bill Hicks is the first one that comes to my mind.

BlodwynPig

Ricky Gervais at the Diana Memorial was probably the least saddest

Shaky

Seeing as we're just listing names with no further info:

Graham Chapman
Peter Sellers
Andy Kaufman
Robin Williams
Phil Hartman

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

That Bloke Off " Suddenly Susan".

Captain Z

What would be the happiest deaths in comedy?

DrGreggles

Small Man Big Horse

Seymour Krelborn and Audrey in the director's cut of Little Shop Of Horrors. And yeah, yeah, I know they're fictional characters, but I still find it deeply upsetting.

If I have to do the real life thing it's Garry Shandling.

Jake Thingray

If meaning in sadly reduced circumstances, Rex Jameson aka Mrs Shufflewick.

Al Tha Funkee Homosapien

thenoise

Caroline Aherne.

edit: still on saddest...

Gurke and Hare

Brundle-Fly

Aussie comic, Eurydice Dixon springs to mind at the moment, now her murderer last week has just received 35 years without parole.

lipsink

The ending of the Rik Mayall doc that showed him giving the University speech makes me want to cry thinking about it.

madhair60

Glebe

Chalk me up as another Rik-misser. Large decrease in joyous anarchy from our world when he left us.

Kelvin

Not sure about saddest, but most shocking and unsettling for me has to the one in One Foot in The Grave where they get a call that their friend has died, go round to comfort the senile husband, and discover that the wife has hung herself and is still dangling outside the window. Made me feel sick that reveal.

Cheesewogg

Kenny Everett, Rik Mayall and Bernie Mac.

As for career deaths - Faith Brown's career. My dream GILF knocked off of our screens after TV Hell rundowns digging up a thirty year old Rusty Lee impression she apologised for yet Psychoville nicked for one of its biggest laughs. Yet Rory Bremner is lauded as an elder statesman. Did anyone *see* his Ainsley Harriott?

Twed

It's Rik, Aherne and Dermot Morgan too I think. Felt a bit cruel to die right as things started going right.

I love this quote from Frank Kelly (Father Jack) though: "Dermot's mind was mercurial. I think he was a kind of comedic meteor. He burned himself out.", because I can only imagine it as a "that would be an ecumenical matter" thing.

In 1995/1996 (whenever they aired Worzel Gummidge during "Summer Breakout!") I had a breakdown (aged 11) about Jon Pertwee being dead.

peanutbutter

Quote from: Kelvin on September 08, 2019, 05:07:17 PM
Not sure about saddest, but most shocking and unsettling for me has to the one in One Foot in The Grave where they get a call that their friend has died, go round to comfort the senile husband, and discover that the wife has hung herself and is still dangling outside the window. Made me feel sick that reveal.
I'm sure OFITG has a few. The bit in Timeless Time where there seem to be talking about their deceased son is a pretty sad one that can have a pretty big impact on how you choose to read Margaret and Victor.

As far as real world ones, I was too young at the time but I could imagine the Phil Hartman one being awful. The big declines in Newsradio and the Simpsons afterwards  (which were gonna go downhill anyways) could've made it all a bit worse.

Twed

The dad from 2point4 Children must be the most forgotten comedy death.

Cheesewogg

Quote from: Twed on September 08, 2019, 06:11:12 PM
The dad from 2point4 Children must be the most forgotten comedy death.

"... and I make sure she gets a regular servicing!"

Gary Olsen! He was a top fella too by all accounts. Incredible a the antagonist in 'Paul Calf's Video Diary'

Cheesewogg

Granted, Aherne and Wood left me slightly riven. Too soon after my mother's death in 2014.

Twed

Quote from: Cheesewogg on September 08, 2019, 06:13:26 PM
"... and I make sure she gets a regular servicing!"

Gary Olsen! He was a top fella too by all accounts. Incredible a the antagonist in 'Paul Calf's Video Diary'
He does seem really warm and fun and comforting.

2point 4 Children does weird things to my brain, it's right in the sweet spot of the days when things seemed like they might end up being okay.

Glebe

If we're doing fictional ones, then Granddad in OFAH is an obvious choice.

Ant Farm Keyboard

Dick Shawn. He collapsed on stage from a heart attack while doing standup. Everybody assumed that he was doing a bit, and some people even believed that it was part of his act until paramedics arrived.

wosl

Quote from: Ant Farm Keyboard on September 08, 2019, 06:56:12 PMDick Shawn. He collapsed on stage from a heart attack while doing standup. Everybody assumed that he was doing a bit, and some people even believed that it was part of his act until paramedics arrived.

That reaction is almost guaranteed when entertainers collapse dying on stage.  See also: Sid James, Tommy Cooper, Bruce Hampton, and just recently, Ian Cognito.