Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 07:44:34 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Saddest Deaths In Comedy?

Started by MortSahlFan, September 08, 2019, 01:28:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NurseNugent

I remember being very upset at Roy Kinnear's death when I was a kid.

kalowski

Quote from: Phil_A on September 15, 2019, 05:26:00 PM
Charlotte Coleman also, although worse in that case as she was only 33.
Fuck! I'd forgotten about her and never knew she'd died. I really liked her work.

kalowski

Anyone else reading this thread and thinking, "Fucking hell, I'm not that far off 53 myself."
I'm fucking terrified.

wosl

Already there, mate (although I think Brundle got there before me, so I'm not going to go into a full panic until I notice that he's apparently done an unannounced 'flounce').

vainsharpdad

I can't believe that we haven't had the loss of Eric Morecambe at only 58.

It might not be the edgiest opinion, but I fucking love Eric Morecambe.

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

Quote from: kalowski on September 15, 2019, 05:57:18 PM
Anyone else reading this thread and thinking, "Fucking hell, I'm not that far off 53 myself."
I'm fucking terrified.

Don't worry mate, You're not the least bit funny, so you should be alright.

MASSIVE WINKING EMOTICON, I'M JUST MESSING ABOUT.

kalowski

Quote from: Lisa Jesusandmarychain on September 15, 2019, 09:09:02 PM
Don't worry mate, You're not the least bit funny, so you should be alright.

MASSIVE WINKING EMOTICON, I'M JUST MESSING ABOUT.
Comedic death awaits.

purlieu

Quote from: kalowski on September 15, 2019, 05:55:16 PM
Fuck! I'd forgotten about her and never knew she'd died. I really liked her work.
The main reason a third series of the superb How Do You Want Me? never happened (although it ended on a fitting note).
Quote from: Twed on September 15, 2019, 05:29:07 PM
All of them are on TVChaos. I'm going to give them a good hard downloading.
I had a feeling they might be. I wish they had a UKNova-style 'occasional referrer-free signup' way of getting in.

Sin Agog

Was broken up when Ivor Cutler died.  Unlike jes any ol' death, when he shuffled off a whole perspective went with him.

At least Tom Lehrer is still with us, which seems impossible but true.

wosl

Catching an episode of For The Love Of Ada recently made me check out what had happened to Barbara Mitchell, whose face I remember popping up in a fair few sit-coms and comedy shows in the '70s (Wiki tells me these included Doctor At Large, Please Sir!, The Fenn Street Gang, Harry Worth's show and The Goodies): she died at the age of 48 in 1977, before two of her much older co-stars in 'Ada, Wilfred Pickles and Irene Handl. 

Bazooka

The death of the original Simpsons opening credits.

AsparagusTrevor

Cardenio I

dissolute ocelot

I don't know if it's saddest but Rod Hull's demise was certainly shocking, especially as he'd just appeared on Lee and Herring's Fist of Fun and conclusively proved that he wasn't dead. Plus the manner of it, which is how all comedy gods should go.

Quote from: dissolute ocelot on September 20, 2019, 02:40:35 PM
I don't know if it's saddest but Rod Hull's demise was certainly shocking, especially as he'd just appeared on Lee and Herring's Fist of Fun and conclusively proved that he wasn't dead. Plus the manner of it, which is how all comedy gods should go.

It only needed Rod to have been renting the cottage from Michael Parkinson to make it perfect.

Spudgun

https://youtu.be/uNrzI2bEOBU?t=14

First couple of minutes - the opening link, the song...

petril

"How the UEFA Champions League Killed Rod Hull" is a perfect Half Man Half Biscuit track title.

I just rewatched Fist of Fun and The Second Rod Hull is so wonderful, plays the role perfectly, even delivering the "is there another series..." gag in perfect tone, before devolving into full First Rod Hull mode

Brundle-Fly

Quote from: Spudgun on September 20, 2019, 09:25:13 PM

That is fantastic! And musically fantastically flat, I might add.

I heard about Bill Hicks' and John Candy's deaths rather jarringly in the middle of an otherwise light and banter-full Danny Baker Radio 1 show, where he noted how close together the deaths were (Feb 26 and March 4, 1994, respectively; Baker's show would have been Saturday March 5). In the pre-Internet age, that's how slowly information came through; today the deaths would feel farther apart.

Linda Smith 27.2.06, twelve years and one day after Hicks. I can't recall how I heard about it, but it was almost certainly via Internet rather than radio.

wosl

Quote from: Satchmo Distel on September 21, 2019, 12:28:53 AM
I heard about Bill Hicks' and John Candy's deaths rather jarringly in the middle of an otherwise light and banter-full Danny Baker Radio 1 show, where he noted how close together the deaths were (Feb 26 and March 4, 1994, respectively)

I've remarked on this before here, but Hicks' death in 1994 was one of a 'run' of three that made an impact on me, that all occurred within a two week time-frame: Donald Judd died on 12th February, Derek Jarman on the 19th, and Hicks on the 26th (they all died on Saturdays).

non capisco

Quote from: Spudgun on September 20, 2019, 09:25:13 PM

Horribly prophetic.

I have to admit after hearing of Rod Hull dying from falling off a roof I did immediately pin the blame on Emu mucking about before rationality kicked in. I expect that's true of a lot of us.

kalowski

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

Quote from: non capisco on September 21, 2019, 01:51:55 AM
Horribly prophetic.

I have to admit after hearing of Rod Hull dying from falling off a roof I did immediately pin the blame on Emu mucking about before rationality kicked in. I expect that's true of a lot of us.

I like to think of him taking Emu up on the roof with him, having  got into the habit of  taking Emu absolutely * everywhere *with him, in his dotage, down the pub, down the shops, down the betting shop, absolutely everywhere. Up on the roof, valiantly trying to fix the Arial one- handed, in his fetching safari suit. It's an enduringimage.

FUCKING EDIT: Yes, quite the intellectual and frustrated writer, was Rod Hull. He thought that Sylvia Plath poem was deeply flawed, and was convinced he could do better.

You imagine Rod and Emu, in private, having the relationship Corky had with his dummy, Fats, in Antony Hopkins' Magic.

jenna appleseed

Quote from: non capisco on September 21, 2019, 01:51:55 AM
Horribly prophetic.

way, way back on the old .net mag's forum photshoppery challenge thread somebody did Emu pushing Rod off the roof as an image. eta: useless post as image is long lost, but fondly remember it being of Rod hanging on to the arial while naughty Emu pops up behind him.

I was saddened by Patrice O'Neal, he should've been a household name, he had a lovely way of appraising films.

Cuellar

Quote from: Cardenio I on September 20, 2019, 11:37:57 AM
Ben Elton

Oh jesus - clicked the link hoping against hope it wasn't what it turned out to be, luckily managed to close it before hearing any of it

sponk

Quote from: Cuellar on September 23, 2019, 09:51:26 PM
Oh jesus - clicked the link hoping against hope it wasn't what it turned out to be, luckily managed to close it before hearing any of it

Scroll down and read the comments and you might see a familiar username 😉