Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 08:37:03 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Saddest Deaths In Comedy?

Started by MortSahlFan, September 08, 2019, 01:28:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kalowski

Quote from: Captain Z on September 08, 2019, 01:38:57 PM
What would be the happiest deaths in comedy?
The bloke who died watch The Goodies.

kalowski

The two that hit me hardest were Rik and Robin Williams. Just loved them from a young age and, no matter if they were in some rubbish, their brilliance shone through.

Petey Pate

Quote from: wosl on September 08, 2019, 07:16:33 PM
That reaction is almost guaranteed when entertainers collapse dying on stage.  See also: Sid James, Tommy Cooper, Bruce Hampton, and just recently, Ian Cognito.

Harry Einstein, a.k.a Parkyakarkus, was another comedian who died mid-performance.

Brundle-Fly

Barry Evans from Mind Your Language, Doctor At Large.

By the latter half of the 1980s, Evans youthful appearance was working against him, and he found it difficult to obtain mature acting roles in keeping with his age. By the mid–1990s Evans was working as a minicab driver in Leicestershire.

In February 1997, Barry Evans, 53, was found dead in his home by police. The police discovered Evans's body in his living room after going to the house to tell him they had recovered his stolen car which had been reported missing the day before. The cause of his death has never been confirmed. The Coroner found a blow to Evans's head and also found high levels of alcohol in his system. There was also a short written will found on a table next to his body and a spilt packet of aspirin (bearing a pre-decimalisation price tag indicating that the pack was at least 26 years old) was found on the floor, although the Coroner concluded that he had not taken any of these. An open verdict was eventually given. An 18-year-old man was arrested but later released without charge due to insufficient evidence.Evans was cremated at Golders Green Crematorium.

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

Quote from: kalowski on September 11, 2019, 07:32:31 AM
The two that hit me hardest were Rik and Robin Williams. Just loved them from a young age and, no matter if they were in some rubbish, their brilliance shone through.

Was Rik Williams' comedy as good as that of his more famous brother?

up_the_hampipe

Quote from: Noodle Lizard on September 10, 2019, 11:42:06 PM
Absolutely Brody Stevens for me.  I still haven't quite got my head around that one.

Yes, same. I think the LA comedy scene still hasn't really recovered from it.

Brundle-Fly

Quote from: Lisa Jesusandmarychain on September 11, 2019, 08:59:52 AM

He was more known for his animation work, chiefly Who Framed Roger Rabbit? Sadly, he passed away last month.

kalowski

Quote from: Lisa Jesusandmarychain on September 11, 2019, 08:59:52 AM
Yes, but not as good as his sisters', Venus and Serena.

Phil_A

Terry-Thomas's last years were terribly sad, that news clip of him withered and catatonic in his poverty flat I don't think will ever leave me.

MortSahlFan

Mitch Hedberg
George Carlin - I know he was older, but I had just seen him perform (not too well), but he's my 3rd favorite in a list that has no more than 10 I truly like.

Louis CK is another one... Why? Because he asked permission to masturbate, and they said YES! Others do worse and have carte-blanche. Unfortunately, millions are deprived of one of the best.

Bennett Brauer

One for the youngsters, Ryan and Ronnie. Originally a series in Welsh, then Billy Cotton Jr commissioned three series for BBC1 in English, 1971-1973. All tapes wiped by the BBC.

Ryan Davies died in 1977 from an asthma attack in America where he was trying to build a solo career. Ronnie Williams committed suicide in 1997.

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

Quote from: MortSahlFan on September 12, 2019, 12:42:39 AM
Louis CK is another one... Why? Because he asked permission to masturbate, and they said YES! Others do worse and have carte-blanche. Unfortunately, millions are deprived of one of the best.

Fucking hell.

Shaky

Did you start the thread just so you could slip that one in?

Bennett Brauer

Quote from: MortSahlFan on September 12, 2019, 12:42:39 AMOthers do worse and have carte-blanche.

He was in Blue Jasmine with her though.

Twed

Do you have a lot arguments where you invoke game theory and "logic"?

Bronzy

Quote from: Shaky on September 12, 2019, 01:20:22 AM
Did you start the thread just so you could slip that one in?

Long and thin, slip right in.

easytarget

Louis CK is another one... Why? Because he asked permission to masturbate, and they said YES! Others do worse and have carte-blanche.
Christ where to even start with this shit.

Anyway:
Rik (obviously)
Hedberg (fuck's sake)
Jeremy Hardy (wasn't ready for that, expected and demanded another 20 years or so)

Shaky

magval

Quote from: lipsink on September 08, 2019, 04:27:44 PM
The ending of the Rik Mayall doc that showed him giving the University speech makes me want to cry thinking about it.

Would like to see this. Does anyone know what it's called?

Cuellar

pigamus

My brain still can't process that Rik's gone. I don't think it'll ever sink in. Even reading it here, I can't process it as real, even typing this out and thinking about it, I'm not capable of accepting that Rik Mayall is dead. Literally typed it there. Nothing. Nobody with that much manic energy could ever die.

Felix Dexter hit me like a punch to the gut, though. Mourned him like a family member had gone.

Rik Mayall's passing is the one that gets me the most, but I'll level with you all and am quite glad he died in case he became one of them Brexit cunts.

Rolf Lundgren

Quote from: Huxleys Babkins on September 12, 2019, 04:07:56 PM
My brain still can't process that Rik's gone. I don't think it'll ever sink in. Even reading it here, I can't process it as real, even typing this out and thinking about it, I'm not capable of accepting that Rik Mayall is dead. Literally typed it there. Nothing. Nobody with that much manic energy could ever die.

I feel the same way about Victoria Wood. Not the manic energy bit but she's a person I can't think of as being dead. She's just over there, working on something else and she'll pop up at Christmas with another special.

thenoise

Quote from: Phil_A on September 11, 2019, 11:53:54 PM
Terry-Thomas's last years were terribly sad, that news clip of him withered and catatonic in his poverty flat I don't think will ever leave me.

If only Derek Jarman had cast him as Prospero in the Tempest, as originally planned, it might have began a resurgence of his career.

Brundle-Fly

Quote from: Phil_A on September 11, 2019, 11:53:54 PM

Oh god, yes. The turn of a coin for all of us.

kalowski

Quote from: thenoise on September 12, 2019, 10:02:31 PM
If only Derek Jarman had cast him as Prospero in the Tempest, as originally planned, it might have began a resurgence of his career.
But it wouldn't have prevented his Parkinson's disease, sadly.

thenoise

Quote from: kalowski on September 12, 2019, 10:44:37 PM
But it wouldn't have prevented his Parkinson's disease, sadly.

He might have died of aids first.

oy vey

Not really a comedian per se but I'm putting in Harold Ramis. The new Ghostbusters movie, now that Bill's come round to the idea (great timing Bill) will be missing Egon which is a bigger loss than you might imagine. He's also the funniest thing in Stripes. Sorry Bill.

Shaky

I'd definitely class Ramis as a comedian - he wrote and acted in Second City sketches before moving onto films.