Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 23, 2024, 07:11:32 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Which stand ups use writers, which are auteurs?

Started by Cheesewogg, September 08, 2019, 06:07:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

EbbyVale

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on September 11, 2019, 07:29:04 PM
I was quite surprised to find Barry Cryer did writing for Pryor as well.

I thought you might be joking but no. I don't know if that was more editing than actually writing or if Cryer is being low-key.

But Christ, Cryer gets everywhere, doesn't he?

thenoise

There's a documentary on one of the Tim Vine dvds where he goes to a local pub with huge packs of jokes that he tries out in front of regulars. He writes vast amounts of material, but doesn't seem to know whether it's any good or not.

He also claims that if he writes a mucky joke he sells it to someone else. No names of course, but it might be reciprocal?

Bennett Brauer

Quote from: thenoise on September 13, 2019, 11:17:01 AM
He also claims that if he writes a mucky joke he sells it to someone else. No names of course, but it might be reciprocal?

I remember him saying that on Richard Herring's podcast. He'd given Herring a joke that was too risqué for Vine's act, and Herring recalled sending Vine a joke (which Vine only used once or maybe not at all I think, because he thought it didn't work).  This was all years ago anyway. I doubt Vine uses writers as a rule.

Shit Good Nose

Jeremy Vine writes all of Tim's jokes whilst Tim writes all the questions for Eggheads.

(RIP HS Art/has let itself go, etc)

BeardFaceMan

Quote from: Bennett Brauer on September 13, 2019, 03:08:40 PM
I remember him saying that on Richard Herring's podcast. He'd given Herring a joke that was too risqué for Vine's act, and Herring recalled sending Vine a joke (which Vine only used once or maybe not at all I think, because he thought it didn't work).  This was all years ago anyway. I doubt Vine uses writers as a rule.

Yeah he talks a bit about this on the commentaries for his DVDs, occasionally a comic will come up to him and say "I wrote this joke, it doesnt work for me, but it would be great for you", I imagine that sort of thing goes on between comics all the time. I think Vine may write some stuff with John Archer, but the vast majotiry of material is his own.

Gregory Torso

I think about this when I'm watching "Jimmy Carr does Countdown" and they have to get out their shite comedy mascots, and some of them are really elaborately made and crafted props or books, just for Joe Wilkinson to shout "bollock" and throw it across the studio, I think man I bet some poor kid spent all day making that.

Replies From View

I lose respect for any stand-up that uses other writers.  Being funny involves having the wit and intelligence to come up with the material.  If you are using writers, you are an actor, not a comedian.  And if you are shit at it you shouldn't be earning loads of money for it so fuck off.

Seriously what excuse exists for Jimmy Carr?  What is it that warrants us being aware of him and that face?

Sebastian Cobb

What about using other comedians to vet your work? You write it, they tell you which bits to drop, make tighter etc?

Replies From View

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on September 16, 2019, 08:12:15 PM
What about using other comedians to vet your work? You write it, they tell you which bits to drop, make tighter etc?

Yeah that's fine; it makes the creative process collaborative.  That shared process should be made public though I think.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: Replies From View on September 16, 2019, 08:16:14 PM
Yeah that's fine; it makes the creative process collaborative.  That shared process should be made public though I think.

Why? Should everyone who attends a work in progress get a credit too given the comedian is crowdsourcing the same thing.

Replies From View

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on September 16, 2019, 08:18:57 PM
Why? Should everyone who attends a work in progress get a credit too given the comedian is crowdsourcing the same thing.

No but I thought you were talking about more of an equal collaborative process just now.  A comedian coming up with all the material and getting some feedback from outside-eyes about what does and doesn't work, before only making changes that they believe will work, is a bit different, but also one tends to be aware of comedians that go through these processes of sharing work-in-progress shows and honing them over time.  So the work-in-progress element is already public.  These are not the Jimmy Carrs of this world.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: Replies From View on September 16, 2019, 08:25:58 PM
No but I thought you were talking about more of an equal collaborative process just now.  A comedian coming up with all the material and getting some feedback from outside-eyes about what does and doesn't work, before only making changes that they believe will work, isn't really the same thing.

This is also all very different from just performing material written by other people.

But surely you can see some people employ other comics to do that in a professional capacity?

Replies From View

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on September 16, 2019, 08:28:03 PM
But surely you can see some people employ other comics to do that in a professional capacity?

It's not really a matter of what I "surely can see", as if I am actually missing something here, is it.

Replies From View

Sebastian Cobb

Brundle-Fly

Quote from: Replies From View on September 16, 2019, 07:53:19 PM
I lose respect for any stand-up that uses other writers.  Being funny involves having the wit and intelligence to come up with the material.  If you are using writers, you are an actor, not a comedian.  And if you are shit at it you shouldn't be earning loads of money for it so fuck off.

What if you're an excellent comedy writer who is shit at stand up and needs a mouthpiece? John Irwin for Paul Merton springs to mind. Tough titty?

lankyguy95

Quote from: Brundle-Fly on September 16, 2019, 08:36:16 PM
What if you're an excellent comedy writer who is shit at stand up and needs a mouthpiece? John Irwin for Paul Merton springs to mind. Tough titty?
John Irwin was a co-writer for sketches though and didn't write any of Merton's stand up act (as far as I know).

I say that being not quite as bothered about the use of writers as other people. I think writing the whole act is also different to the odd joke. I've heard loads of stand ups talk about another comedian giving them a joke for their act. I seem to recall Stewart Lee mentioning that Simon Munnery had written a couple of jokes on Comedy Vehicle. If it's the whole act or a sizeable proportion of it though I think Replies is right - you're an actor, not a stand up.

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

How do we feel about old-school comics such as Bob Hope, who, as far as I'm aware, never wrote a joke in his life? Hope's delivery and timing were impeccable, so surely that must mean he was, technically, a good comedian.

I may be muddying the waters here, but isn't that broadly akin to singers such as Frank Sinatra and Elvis Presley being gifted interpreters of other people's material? They, like Hope, imprinted their own unique style and personality on everything they did.

Then again, I guess it's taken as read that the vast majority of old-school stand-ups didn't write their own material. We're not really talking about those guys, are we? Oh well.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: Ballad of Ballard Berkley on September 16, 2019, 09:19:41 PM

Then again, I guess it's taken as read that the vast majority of old-school stand-ups didn't write their own material. We're not really talking about those guys, are we? Oh well.

"tell us a joke we know!"