Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 08:39:29 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Is Neil Degrasse Tyson a bit of a cunt?

Started by Mr Faineant, September 09, 2019, 01:09:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mr Faineant

I used to quite like him, but just heard him on Rogan's Podcast and found him rather insufferable.

Sin Agog

Waves big swirly words in front of credulous idjuts (like Rogan) in a very turn-of-the-century carnival barker fashion.  Used to be a jock (rowing, I think?).  Isn't even the shadow of a Sagan.  I did quite dig one of those audio-courses he did called My Favorite Universe, but that was in humbler days when he would just joyfully scat about the number of atoms in the space between galaxies.  Too many years of Jonesing for ego-boosts from meatheads has put paid to all that.

Also, didn't he get metooed?

touchingcloth

Yes, he's no Sagan. Who is Rogen? Not Seth, surely.

Sin Agog

touchingcloth

Quote from: bgmnts on September 09, 2019, 01:29:05 AM
Joe I assume.

QuoteJoseph James Rogan (born August 11, 1967) is an American stand-up comedian, mixed martial arts color commentator, podcast host, and former actor and television host.

Doesn't sound likely.

I like his StarTalk podcasts. I can dig those.

I've seen people on Twitter calling him a buffoon and such like. Now, I know he can be a right pompous windbag but he's hardly a dunderhead. He must have been pretty remarkable in order for him, as a black man living in the 70s and 80s, to major in physics at Harvard, study for an MPhil/PhD in astrophysics at Columbia, and then go on to an academic career (I think he once claimed he was one of 36 professional black astrophysicists).

Mr Faineant

Mr Faineant

Quote from: Pride of Elvis on September 09, 2019, 02:23:27 AM
I like his StarTalk podcasts. I can dig those.

I've seen people on Twitter calling him a buffoon and such like. Now, I know he can be a right pompous windbag but he's hardly a dunderhead. He must have been pretty remarkable in order for him, as a black man living in the 70s and 80s, to major in physics at Harvard, study for an MPhil/PhD in astrophysics at Columbia, and then go on to an academic career (I think he once claimed he was one of 36 professional black astrophysicists).

He's not an idiot by any means, I don't think. He's just become irritating, a caricature of himself.

QDRPHNC

I saw him doing a talk about 10 years ago and he was great, very engaging and entertaining. But I think he has disappeared up him own arse a bit.

Hello all, this is my first ever post

Tyson is one of the tiresome 'public intellectuals' who are useless outside of their field but don't seem to mind pontificating on it.  Most of what he burbled out to Rogan (not exactly a man known for his intellectual rigour) was a bizarre mixture of folk history (trans. Total bollocks) or appearing to think his guesses were as good as facts (trans. total bollocks).

E.g. his statement re syphilis is still disputed - and his thing about 'K1' being the highest point on Earth just cements his place as a know-nothing blowhard on matters which aren't physics ('why would you name the highest point 'K2'?).

This is saying nothing re his ability & knowledge in Astrophysics which would seem to me to be unquestionable

Noodle Lizard

Lord Mandrake

It was a shit episode because Joe was clearly not arsed and NDT has become a knowing caricature of himself, still I'm  not disputing his knowledge on petri dishes and galaxy's and stuff.

Cuellar

Apparently the film Frozen is scientifically inconsistent

Who would have guessed

idunnosomename

are we forgetting when this galaxy brain genious did a tweet after an american shooting this year about how the numbers paled in comparison to other annual natural deaths
then he doubled down on it.

he's a egotistical arsehole and it's no surprise he's a sex pest

ps

thugler

QuoteJoseph James Rogan (born August 11, 1967) is an American stand-up comedian

Citation needed surely?

Quote from: Cuellar on September 09, 2019, 09:31:39 AM
Apparently the film Frozen is scientifically inconsistent

Who would have guessed

It's a matter of time before Ricky Gervais is roasting Frozen in interviews and on his sell-our stand-up tours. 

Remember when he claimed he discovered a wooden planet, and then it just turned out he'd forgotten to open the hatch on his observatory?

Remember when he said Neptune was total bullshit? 

Captain Z

At least it wasn't as bad as listening to Akron Harbinger on the Guru Mackenzie Podcast.

Cardenio I

Neil Degrasse Tyson. What next, Stan Detrees Leonard? Sid Deflowers Ali?

touchingcloth

Quote from: Cardenio I on September 09, 2019, 01:06:38 PM

San Defloor Daniel, Wax Decar Daniel, Paint Defence Daniel.

Blumf

Quote from: Cardenio I on September 09, 2019, 01:06:38 PM

DeForest Kelley

touchingcloth

Quote from: TheBrownBottle on September 09, 2019, 05:12:50 AM
Hello all, this is my first ever post

Tyson is one of the tiresome 'public intellectuals' who are useless outside of their field but don't seem to mind pontificating on it.  Most of what he burbled out to Rogan (not exactly a man known for his intellectual rigour) was a bizarre mixture of folk history (trans. Total bollocks) or appearing to think his guesses were as good as facts (trans. total bollocks).

E.g. his statement re syphilis is still disputed - and his thing about 'K1' being the highest point on Earth just cements his place as a know-nothing blowhard on matters which aren't physics ('why would you name the highest point 'K2'?).

This is saying nothing re his ability & knowledge in Astrophysics which would seem to me to be unquestionable

I agree with the new poster.

He's like a Dawkins with the edges rounded off. Dawkins on biology at his peak was far, far, far more compelling than Tyson at his peak on physics. In a similar way Tyson can also be a bore and a cunt when he's speaking outside of his expertise, but Dawkins can be a far, far, far bigger cunt.

a duncandisorderly

he said something crass after one of the recent shootings they have in the USA from time to time. I can't remember what it was- something like "loads of people die every day- shrug", but he would've gone down in my estimation if all of these tiresome science types weren't already beneath my contempt for their lack of empathy & so forth.

touchingcloth

Quote from: a duncandisorderly on September 09, 2019, 02:14:00 PM
he said something crass after one of the recent shootings they have in the USA from time to time. I can't remember what it was- something like "loads of people die every day- shrug", but he would've gone down in my estimation if all of these tiresome science types weren't already beneath my contempt for their lack of empathy & so forth.

Actually when you look at the data on the population level there is a statistically significant indication that science types do not differ drastically from non-science types in empathy when you control for other variables like social strata.

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: Noodle Lizard on September 09, 2019, 08:12:49 AM
Hasn't he been #cancelled now?

After an internal investigation he was allowed to keep his job, sounds like he was a bit urgh and creepy but not assaulty and rapey from the sound of it - https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2019/jul/28/neil-degrasse-tyson-sexual-misconduct-investigation

Shit Good Nose

De-arthur Saundcoxompson.  Still my favourite Stewart Lee Panini football stickers player.

The Lion King

Joe rogan is so into chimps I don't think he can go a full hour without going off on some wild tangent about how deadly they are. But generally I find him ok, he was clearly getting frustrated by how often NGT was interrupting and one-upping him here though.