Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 12:42:10 PM

Login with username, password and session length

True Romance

Started by madhair60, September 09, 2019, 08:44:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

madhair60

Watched this last night, I suppose I enjoyed it but it's pure Quentin Tarantino self-fanfiction. Good turn from Walken, great scene with Dennis Hopper.

What you think of it then

SavageHedgehog

Quote from: madhair60 on September 09, 2019, 08:44:27 AM
Watched this last night, I suppose I enjoyed it but it's pure Quentin Tarantino self-fanfiction. Good turn from Walken, great scene with Dennis Hopper.

What you think of it then

I wouldn't disagree with this, but I would say it's probably less self indulgent than anything Tarantino has written in the past 20 years.

bgmnts

It's a top film. Always love me some Christian Slater and Patricia Arquette.

Good performances from almost everyone in it, quite like Brad Pitt's stoner dude.

Puce Moment

Quote from: madhair60 on September 09, 2019, 08:44:27 AMGood turn from Walken, great scene with Dennis Hopper.What you think of it then

That scene is so good I think it almost unbalances the film. I haven't seen it for a while but I have a memory that it uses the same Badlands style VO as Natural Born Killers.

phantom_power

Quote from: Puce Moment on September 09, 2019, 09:26:50 AM
That scene is so good I think it almost unbalances the film. I haven't seen it for a while but I have a memory that it uses the same Badlands style VO as Natural Born Killers.

It even uses the same music as Badlands doesn't it? Or was that just the trailer?

Piggyoioi

Yeah, uses Badlands jingle.

There is a Tarantino Edit on torrents. Originally the screenplay is jumbled up time wise, so you start of ahead of the movie, then go back and then go forward. Also the ending is different. I much prefer it to the Tony Scott edit.

SteveDave

It's not the same. It's a homage (French for rip off) by Hans Zimmer called "You're So Cool"

My wife walked down the aisle to it at our wedding which was 3 years ago tomorrow. Thanks.

Dex Sawash

Not Schwarzenegger's best film.

greenman

Opinion on Tony Scott directing it rather than Tarantino? for the better or the worse?

For the better I'd say as it feels like a story that needs rather more of a grounding in reality.

Puce Moment

Quote from: Piggyoioi on September 09, 2019, 11:59:17 AMThere is a Tarantino Edit on torrents. Originally the screenplay is jumbled up time wise, so you start of ahead of the movie, then go back and then go forward. Also the ending is different. I much prefer it to the Tony Scott edit.

I have been meaning to rewatch this for a while now so this is wonderful news!

SteveDave

Quote from: Piggyoioi on September 09, 2019, 11:59:17 AM
There is a Tarantino Edit on torrents. Originally the screenplay is jumbled up time wise, so you start of ahead of the movie, then go back and then go forward. Also the ending is different. I much prefer it to the Tony Scott edit.

Oooh. Interesting...

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

Horrible scene with Patricia Arquette getting battered by the Sopranos feller. For that reason, I'm oot.

lipsink

Apparently James Gandolfini got the part of Tony Soprano after David Chase watched True Romance. Gandolfini is sensational in this. Just a bit heavy breathing hulk of sexuality and menace. That whole scene with Alabama is  almost like an audition tape for the Sopranos.

QDRPHNC

Don't condescend me, man. I'll fuckin' kill ya, man.

Swoz_MK

Would have loved a Drexl film

greenman

Quote from: lipsink on September 11, 2019, 12:25:25 PM
Apparently James Gandolfini got the part of Tony Soprano after David Chase watched True Romance. Gandolfini is sensational in this. Just a bit heavy breathing hulk of sexuality and menace. That whole scene with Alabama is  almost like an audition tape for the Sopranos.

Espeically that little reaction shot just after Hopper has insulted Walken.