Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 10:41:18 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Reservoir Dogs

Started by madhair60, September 09, 2019, 10:45:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shit Good Nose

Quote from: bgmnts on September 14, 2019, 03:55:07 PM
And this:

So i assumed there be a general lifting from Shaw Brothers films. And I can't remembers that either.

No.  I mean there are hundreds, if not thousands of Shaw Brothers films, and I never said anything about a general Shaw Brothers lift.  I just named the specific ones I knew for sure..."influenced" some of Kill Bill (the 36th Chamber films).  My subsequent mention of Crippled Avengers and Five Deadly Venoms was a half-memory that I wasn't sure about (hence why I said I couldn't remember).  The 36th Chamber lifts are blatant though, as are the Lady Snowblood and Sister Streetfighter lifts.  But those aren't Shaw Brothers films.

Although I have said before, and only half jokingly, that you could make a fair approximation of Kill Bill by cutting together the scenes from the original films he..."borrowed" from.

People say the same thing about the Sergio Leone westerns, that you could reconstruct them entirely from scenes from various American westerns. Doesn't matter a fig in that case

madhair60

could we fuck up about this? fucking boring

Shit Good Nose

Yes, sorry - I realise and acknowledge it's my fault for derailing the thread when all you wanted to do was talk about how much you like RD.  I promise I won't do it again.  Not even when you get to Kill Bill.

madhair60

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

Now apologise for the Alien 3 thing.

Captain Z

If anything it sounds like Tarantino has done me a favour in not having to watch 127 different obscure martial arts films.

popcorn

Quote from: Captain Z on September 16, 2019, 01:14:29 AM
If anything it sounds like Tarantino has done me a favour in not having to watch 127 different obscure martial arts films.

If you actually watch these films Tarantino worships and steals from you discover they are almost universally boring and crap. I am quite content for Tarantino to snip them up into watchable digestible fun movies.

bgmnts

I defy anyone to watch Shaw brothers martial arts films and tell me they are not entertaining as fuck.

chveik

yep hk martial art films are ace

popcorn

They're not as good as Kill Bill. Have you seen Kill Bill?

phantom_power

Three are loads of Shaw Brothers films on Netflix now, including the 36 Chambers films

I think with Tarantino and his homage/stealing, it is all so blatant it isn't like he is trying to get away with anything. He just likes using bit of other films to construct new films. He is like the film equivalent of DJ Shadow or someone who makes collages

bgmnts

Quote from: popcorn on September 16, 2019, 02:19:37 AM
They're not as good as Kill Bill. Have you seen Kill Bill?

Five Venoms is better than any Tarantino film.

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

Anyone else not a great fan of Michael Madsen's acting style? I just feel like he's always trying a bit too hard to be cool, and never really manages it. I'm not sure if that squint thing he does, for example, is just a natural mannerism of his, or he's trying (maybe without even realising it) to do a Clint Eastwood impersonation.
I got the same "trying too hard" feeling from the cast of Usual Suspects.