Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 02:07:49 PM

Login with username, password and session length

shit food you can't get now

Started by madhair60, September 09, 2019, 12:07:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

a duncandisorderly

Quote from: buzby on September 09, 2019, 08:34:39 PM
Posh Noodles were basically a licence-produced version of the original Nissin Cup Noodle (which Pot Noolde was copied from and 'anglicised' for the UK market, including changing the noodles). They were really nice, but ultimately short-lived. If you can get hold of proper east-Asian Cup Noodles (which come in a foam cup), they are a thing of wonder - they even have scrambled egg in them.

in 1990, the sumo wrestling championships were held at the albert hall, & this was quite a big deal. I don't think the main event had happened outside of japan before. anyway, the tv facilities company I then worked for played host to the tv production, & a large crew of producers & editors from NHK moved in for a fortnight. they brought a lot of stuff with them, in enormous wooden crates. their own graphics equipment (japanese keyboards & so on), loads of cigarettes (we had to give them a corner office with windows, & they all chain-smoked camels with the filters torn off), & one huge box full of tiny beautifully wrapped gifts... every time one of us did something for them, like patch the voiceover booth to their edit suite, or send some stuff back to japan via the two satellites hop, they would say "wait here!" & then dash off, returning with a gift-wrapped lacquered tie-clip or biro or somesuch.
but the biggest crate of all, the size of a small car, was full of what I discovered to be these very high-quality pot noodle jobs. we bought them four kettles for that office.
they'd brought their own chopsticks too.

madhair60

Quote from: Twed on September 10, 2019, 05:21:42 AM
My lying bullshit step-brother told me that the American version of that "turned into real, solid bubblegum in your mouth and throat". Greasy twat (big dick though)

Did it turn into real, solid bubblegum in your mouth and throat

Paul Calf

Quote from: Elderly Sumo Prophecy on September 09, 2019, 02:51:41 PM
I've never understood which they use such a shit noodle in the Pot Noodle. It's like chewing on elastic bands. Those fine noodles you get in the Japanese style instant noodles are far nicer.

Noodles.

Make with boiling water, add extra ketchup and leave for half an hour. Microwave.

The finest of convenience foods.

Lordofthefiles

Quote from: Voltan (Man of Steel) on September 10, 2019, 07:59:22 AM
Was? What happened to it?

The girl next door hit it with a rake... don't you read the papers?

dr_christian_troy

Quote from: icehaven on September 09, 2019, 12:16:02 PM
Secret bars

A kind of delicate lattice with a chocolate mousse centre. Shortlived I imagine due to it's fragility and the high proportion of stock getting smashed to bits before reaching the shelves.

I loved these.

Rizla

Quote from: Paul Calf on September 10, 2019, 12:41:26 PM
Make with boiling water, add extra ketchup and leave for half an hour. Microwave.

The finest of convenience foods.

try a shin cup - you even get em in tesco these days, they're goodhttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NOL40dnFTVs

H-O-W-L

Quote from: Rizla on September 10, 2019, 01:41:15 PM
try a shin cup - you even get em in tesco these days, they're goodhttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NOL40dnFTVs

Be warned they may induce explosively spicy diarreah. AT least they did for me. Well worth it.

Also, the imported Nissin noodles are generally the best. The Nissin tonkotsu ones are my fave.

imitationleather

Quote from: H-O-W-L on September 10, 2019, 02:27:58 PM
Nissin tonkotsu

Ah, my dad used to have one of those. Many a happy summer holiday was spent travelling the Lake district in his Nissin Tonkotsu.

Twed

Quote from: H-O-W-L on September 10, 2019, 02:27:58 PM
Be warned they may induce explosively spicy diarreah. AT least they did for me. Well worth it.

Also, the imported Nissin noodles are generally the best. The Nissin tonkotsu ones are my fave.
If you can find a deal on the Nissin Ra Oh Tonkotsu noodles (especially the premium package with the dried pork) then do not pass up the opportunity. You will love it. Even if you have to splurge a tenner on one, it's worth the treat.

Twed

Quote from: madhair60 on September 10, 2019, 09:37:19 AM
Did it turn into real, solid bubblegum in your mouth and throat

Honestly, gigantic hog.

Edit: Oh

You were making a joke about his dick

That was me being really genuinely thick.

Like his dick.

H-O-W-L

Quote from: Twed on September 10, 2019, 05:01:24 PM
If you can find a deal on the Nissin Ra Oh Tonkotsu noodles (especially the premium package with the dried pork) then do not pass up the opportunity. You will love it. Even if you have to splurge a tenner on one, it's worth the treat.

oh fuck that looks absolutely fantastic. Bugger me sideways.

Twed

Quote from: H-O-W-L on September 10, 2019, 05:05:59 PM
oh fuck that looks absolutely fantastic. Bugger me sideways.
Yep. Honestly doesn't need all the accouterments he adds, it's delicious as it comes. Lovely, salty badness.

bgmnts

Literally the whole point of ramen is that it's cheap as fuck.

Twed

Well no, not really. That's definitely the point of some. There can also be nicer versions of things.

bgmnts

Nah it's like burger restaurants, it's just posh wank.

imitationleather

Quote from: Twed on September 10, 2019, 05:15:31 PM
Well no, not really. That's definitely the point of some. There can also be nicer versions of things.

Such as Posh Noodle.

Twed

Quote from: bgmnts on September 10, 2019, 05:19:17 PM
Nah it's like burger restaurants, it's just posh wank.
Okay, well we're going to enjoy the nice cum thank you.

Al Tha Funkee Homosapien

Shit Good Nose

Quote from: Al Tha Funkee Homosapien on September 10, 2019, 07:20:07 PM

Famously withdrawn within days due to the enormous controversy. 

About the missing apostrophe.

Replies From View

Enoch Bowels we used to call him.

Cousin of:

- Lawrence Llewelyn Bowels, presenter of Changing Rooms
- Camilla Parker Bowels, who had connections with royalty
- Florence Foster Bowels, who sang in a comically poor way for money

chrispmartha

Munch Bunch Charlie Chocolate yogurt.

They didn't really taste of chocolate but I used to love it.

Do they still do beans & sausage findus crispy pancakes?

Captain Z

Quote from: icehaven on September 09, 2019, 12:16:02 PM
Secret bars

A kind of delicate lattice with a chocolate mousse centre. Shortlived I imagine due to it's fragility and the high proportion of stock getting smashed to bits before reaching the shelves.

Wish I'd heard about these, no one ever told me.

H-O-W-L

Actually you know what I want back that you can't get anymore in the UK? Lemon-lime Gatorade. Absolutely no "sports drink" I've tried tastes the same, even the imported Gatorade flavours. The blue is SORT OF similar but it isn't the same. Fuck, I don't care if it was made with uranium water and Kruschev's piss, I just want it back.

touchingcloth

Quote from: buzby on September 09, 2019, 08:34:39 PM
Golden Wonder crisps ended up being sold off by Bridgepoint Capital to Longolf.Foods/The Snack Factory in 2002, and most of their brands like Wotsits, Wheat Crunchies, Nik Naks etc. were sold off to rivals Walkers and KP around the same time (as was Pot Noodle). The Snack Factory went bankrupt in 2006 and the Golden Wonder brand and a couple of their factories were bought by Tayto (Northern Ireland). The ex-Golden Wonder factory in Skelmersdale was sold to Walkers.

Someone I used to work with - who was a known bullshitter - used to say that he had a friend who worked at a Golden Wonder factory, and that every so often the production line would produce an actual gold (in colour) packet which was supposed to be tested by the chief crisp sommelier or whatever as a quality test. He said he badly wanted his friend to steal one of those packs for him as a birthday present.

This is just utter bollocks from a compulsive liar, isn't it?

Sebastian Cobb

^ probably, but I have heard crisp manufacturers sometimes put died potatoes in or something so they can track them through the machinery like tracer rounds.

H-O-W-L

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on September 10, 2019, 09:56:59 PM
^ probably, but I have heard crisp manufacturers sometimes put died potatoes in or something so they can track them through the machinery like tracer rounds.

I've heard of this too, actually. McCoy's did a promotion based around it. Find the Golden Crisp and you too can be a pub-going Charlie Bucket! I've also had packets of crisps that have fuckoff huge lumps of flavouring powder jammed inside still but I feel like that's an error more than some devious factory trick.

beanheadmcginty

Those He-Man and the Masters of the Universe jelly sweets that came individually packed in their own mould with a foil backing.

touchingcloth

I found a cross-shaped Hula Hoop in a packet once when they were running some contest where the finder of the special shape would win some prize or other.

Only it turned out that in order to actually win, the slip inside the little blue sachet within the packet had to confirm you as a winner, and mine did not. I kept the Hoop on my bookshelves until it went soft and green as a reminder of the injustice.

Icehaven

Quote from: beanheadmcginty on September 10, 2019, 10:02:54 PM
Those He-Man and the Masters of the Universe jelly sweets that came individually packed in their own mould with a foil backing.

They were rank! Weirdly sticky too, ack.

Sebastian Cobb

Treated myself to some of these recently, can still get them though.