Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
  • Total Members: 17,819
  • Latest: Jeth
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,578,491
  • Total Topics: 106,671
  • Online Today: 1,086
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 20, 2024, 05:01:05 AM

Login with username, password and session length

shit food you can't get now

Started by madhair60, September 09, 2019, 12:07:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wosl

Used to be able to get these in the vending machine at Wyndley swimming baths in the late '70s (can't remember finding them at sweet counters in shops).  Essentially an airier, more voluminous Crunchie bar-type of honeycomb arrangement inside, but washed-out green-coloured mint, and the coating was a thin layer of imitation dark chocolate. This appears to be the only pic of said bar online:

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

Pot Mash. It came with ketchup. I only ever ate one, but now I want one again.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: Elderly Sumo Prophecy on September 09, 2019, 02:02:17 PM
Pot Mash. It came with ketchup. I only ever ate one, but now I want one again.

Hardly anyone remembers them. I tried one, curry I think it was. I seem to remember it not mixing properly/as well as the noodles and there being a load of dry mash powder at the bottom. Rank.

Aunt bessies used to do frozen mash that came in little pucks. If you were doing a fry up you could chuck a couple in the pan and have a fried crispy bit of mash.

Anyone ever fried baked beans?

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on September 09, 2019, 02:05:30 PM
Hardly anyone remembers them. I tried one, curry I think it was. I seem to remember it not mixing properly/as well as the noodles and there being a load of dry mash powder at the bottom. Rank.

Aunt bessies used to do frozen mash that came in little pucks. If you were doing a fry up you could chuck a couple in the pan and have a fried crispy bit of mash.

Anyone ever fried baked beans?

I think mash technology has moved on to such an extent nowadays that the dry mash situation would not occur if they brought them back.

Sebastian Cobb

Remember when they did microwavable ones that were designed for people who couldn't be trusted with a kettle?

Shit Good Nose

Pot Mash was 'kin 'orrible, and I say that as someone who genuinely enjoys a Pot Noodle (incidentally, looks like my favourite Sausage Casserole flavour has bit the dust).

Findus cheddar cheese Crispy Pancakes.  The bland as fuck replacement four cheese ones don't hold a candle to the old cheddar cheese.

Knorr recipe kits.  The thai green curry was especially monstrous (in a good way).

Brains beef faggots (in the red pack).  Disappeared when mad cow's disease happened, just like real beef in Bovril.  But, unlike real beef in Bovril, Brains never brought the beef faggots back.

Taytos beef and onion gourmet crisps that were available (in Sainsbury's only if memory serves) early/mid 00s.  Completely different from their normal beef and onion, and nothing like their Craft beef and pepper ones you can currently get in Lidl.

Goodfellas la Bottega pizzas.  Probably the best frozen pizzas ever created by anyone.  Actually, they might not belong in this thread cos they were verging on genuinely decent.

Choka Blok ice cream.  Basically a Tesco-own product made exclusively for them by a third party and priced mid-way between their own cheap and Finest ranges.  Again, possibly doesn't belong in the thread as it was genuinely good stuff with decent ingredients.

boki

Chutney flavour Outer Spacers.  Yootdem dun know.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: Shit Good Nose on September 09, 2019, 02:17:04 PM
Pot Mash was 'kin 'orrible, and I say that as someone who genuinely enjoys a Pot Noodle (incidentally, looks like my favourite Sausage Casserole flavour has bit the dust).

Have you tried the Nations noodles that Golden Wonder bought out after flogging the Pot Noodle range?

I want a bombay badboy now. Apparently they are no more. Wikipedia doesn't mention it, but didn't they do a doner kebab one at one point?

It's just dawned on my I've never tried Maggi's noodles, any cop?

Shit Good Nose

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on September 09, 2019, 02:37:10 PM
Have you tried the Nations noodles that Golden Wonder bought out after flogging the Pot Noodle range?

No.  Doesn't ring any bells either, so I probs never clocked them.

QuoteI want a bombay badboy now. Apparently they are no more. Wikipedia doesn't mention it, but didn't they do a doner kebab one at one point?

Bombay Bad Boy defo still available - loads in our Tesco yesterday (both regular and king pots), and king pots in B&M.  It's still on their website as well.  Mind you, the Sausage Casserole is still listed on their website, and I haven't seen one of those on the shelves anywhere for over a month now.  So it could be that the existing BBB ones are the stock that's left and after they're gone, that's it.  Don't remember a doner kebab one, which saddens me slightly as I would have tried it.

It's just dawned on my I've never tried Maggi's noodles, any cop?

I've only tried the bog standard ones (chicken I think?), and they're bland.

bgmnts

Maggi are fine if you make a proper soy sauce thing with it.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: Shit Good Nose on September 09, 2019, 02:45:42 PM
No.  Doesn't ring any bells either, so I probs never clocked them.

Bombay Bad Boy defo still available - loads in our Tesco yesterday (both regular and king pots), and king pots in B&M.  It's still on their website as well.  Mind you, the Sausage Casserole is still listed on their website, and I haven't seen one of those on the shelves anywhere for over a month now.  So it could be that the existing BBB ones are the stock that's left and after they're gone, that's it.  Don't remember a doner kebab one, which saddens me slightly as I would have tried it.

I've only tried the bog standard ones (chicken I think?), and they're bland.

Informative, thanks. Looks like Amazon are doing the casserole ones for now. https://www.amazon.co.uk/Pot-Noodle-King-Sausage-Casserole/dp/B071VG63RG/ref=sr_1_1?keywords=sausage+casserole+pot+noodle&qid=1568036950&s=pantry&sr=8-1

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

I've never understood which they use such a shit noodle in the Pot Noodle. It's like chewing on elastic bands. Those fine noodles you get in the Japanese style instant noodles are far nicer.

Noodles.

Cardenio I

Sebastian Cobb

I hardly ever get heartburn but I've given myself it several times making a 'diy pot noodle' out of stock, curry paste, noodles and peas.

Cardenio I

those limited edition mars bars from marianne faithfulls vag

George White

Quote from: wosl on September 09, 2019, 01:49:32 PM
Used to be able to get these in the vending machine at Wyndley swimming baths in the late '70s (can't remember finding them at sweet counters in shops).  Essentially an airier, more voluminous Crunchie bar-type of honeycomb arrangement inside, but washed-out green-coloured mint, and the coating was a thin layer of imitation dark chocolate. This appears to be the only pic of said bar online:

So, basically an off-brand Cracknell.

imitationleather

Quote from: Elderly Sumo Prophecy on September 09, 2019, 02:51:41 PM
I've never understood which they use such a shit noodle in the Pot Noodle. It's like chewing on elastic bands. Those fine noodles you get in the Japanese style instant noodles are far nicer.

Noodles.

They used to do a variant called Posh Noodle with far nicer noodles. Man, they were actually not horrible.

holyzombiejesus

I was really surprised to see that supermarkets still sell Beanfeast. When I became a vegetarian in the eighties, it was the only meat-free option and it was fucking miserable. They seem to have got rid of the sausage/ burger mix which was horrible and a right faff, just a bready mess that you had to roll yourself.

king_tubby

Oh, you can still get sosmix. I mean, I don't know why you would, as vegetarian sausages are quite easily available, but it's there in the health food place near us.

poodlefaker

I still miss Feastwiches; they were delicious.

Shit Good Nose

Quote from: Elderly Sumo Prophecy on September 09, 2019, 02:51:41 PM
I've never understood which they use such a shit noodle in the Pot Noodle. It's like chewing on elastic bands.

You're supposed to make it with boiling water from the kettle (or zip tap if you're a posh rich cunt, which, let's face it, is unlikely on CaB), not tepid bath water (which, let's face it, is likely on CaB).

Cuntbeaks

Bacon Grill - like grillable spam, but with extra cancer.

Chicken Supreme Vesta - Creamy and savoury freeze dried wonderment.

Golden Wonder Crisps - Peerless in their day. The cheese and onion, pickled onion, gammon, hot dog and ketchup and spring onion flavours have never been bettered.

Shit Good Nose

Quote from: Cuntbeaks on September 09, 2019, 03:18:56 PM
spring onion

Fuck, I forgot about them.  I lived on those for most of junior school.  I think I got through a whole 6 pack of them in one sitting once.

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

Quote from: Shit Good Nose on September 09, 2019, 03:13:23 PM
You're supposed to make it with boiling water from the kettle (or zip tap if you're a posh rich cunt, which, let's face it, is unlikely on CaB), not tepid bath water (which, let's face it, is likely on CaB).

Don't be an idiot, you don't add water to them. You eat them straight from the pot, like crisps.

Shit Good Nose

Quote from: Elderly Sumo Prophecy on September 09, 2019, 03:31:02 PM
Don't be an idiot, you don't add water to them. You eat them straight from the pot, like crisps.

Oh yeah.  Duh.

(mind you, in my early teens I went through a phase of eating Cup-a-Soups dry from the packet.  Just thought they tasted better that way)

Al Tha Funkee Homosapien

My grandad said he used to love these as a kid.

Captain Z

Celery Jacks - like Blackjacks but celery flavour

Fishps - thin slices of fish deep-fried and in a bag like crisps

Robinsons Powdered Water