Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 06:13:44 PM

Login with username, password and session length

shit food you can't get now

Started by madhair60, September 09, 2019, 12:07:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shit Good Nose

Quote from: Al Tha Funkee Homosapien on September 09, 2019, 03:46:25 PM

My grandad said used to love these as a kid.

I bet he did, the dirty old bollocks, etc.

Crabwalk

I swear there used to be a tropical/mango flavour Viennetta in the 90s, which was absolutely lush. But I can't find a reference to it anywhere online. Closest I can get is Wikipedia mentioning pineapple, but it was definitely orange in colour, not yellow. And it didn't taste of pineapple.

wosl

Quote from: George White on September 09, 2019, 02:58:23 PMSo, basically an off-brand Cracknell.

The centre was a powder bomb rather than of spun strata.  They were a solidified pillow of aerated mint-suffused sugar that exploded into dust when you bit through the fake choc 'seal'.  I remember Mint Cracknels being an altogether classier confection (costing more than "7p").

boki

Quote from: Cuntbeaks on September 09, 2019, 03:18:56 PM
Bacon Grill - like grillable spam, but with extra cancer.

Often seen in B&M, next to the Spam of course.

QuoteGolden Wonder Crisps - Peerless in their day. The cheese and onion, pickled onion, gammon, hot dog and ketchup and spring onion flavours have never been bettered.

Home Bargains seems to be the last bastion of Golden Wonder crisps.  A lot of those varieties have fallen by the wayside, but Cheese & Onion's still a flavourbomb.

Cuntbeaks

Quote from: boki on September 09, 2019, 05:14:26 PM
Often seen in B&M, next to the Spam of course.

Home Bargains seems to be the last bastion of Golden Wonder crisps.  A lot of those varieties have fallen by the wayside, but Cheese & Onion's still a flavourbomb.
Unfortunately none of the present day offerings from Golden Wonder are worthy. If my memory serves me correctly they were rebranded/taken over in the late 80s and were miserable facsimiles thereafter.

pigamus

Quote from: Shit Good Nose on September 09, 2019, 03:13:23 PM
You're supposed to make it with boiling water from the kettle (or zip tap if you're a posh rich cunt, which, let's face it, is unlikely on CaB), not tepid bath water (which, let's face it, is likely on CaB).

They're inedible. I eat Super Noodles all the time, but Pot Noodle is not even food.

paruses

Can you still get Ice Magic to go on ice cream?

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

Quote from: paruses on September 09, 2019, 07:32:44 PM
Can you still get Ice Magic to go on ice cream?

If you ask it nicely ( or even n-icely!!!).

imitationleather

I was going to say Pepperami Firesticks but a look on Amazon has informed me that they are still available. No supermarket sells them, though.

Shit Good Nose

Quote from: imitationleather on September 09, 2019, 07:44:46 PM
I was going to say Pepperami Firesticks but a look on Amazon has informed me that they are still available. No supermarket sells them, though.

I've seen them - recently - in garages and offies/small convenience stores.  But yeah - even Lidl and Aldi don't sell them.

Twed

I know you technically can still get them but even when I was in the UK I was unable to actually track one down for a fifteen year period of really craving it:

The only toffee-flavoured thing that actually tasted good.

Also "Pizza Rollas". Not Pizza Rolls. Pizza Rolls. A bun with pizza topping in the middle.

Shit Good Nose

Quote from: Twed on September 09, 2019, 07:58:44 PM
The only toffee-flavoured thing that actually tasted good.

Wait - they were/are toffee?!?!?!?!?

I always avoided them cos I thought they were fruity or rainbow sherrrr-berrrrt flavoured!

Fucking hell.  One for the Fuck My Hat thread then!

When I was little I did used to enjoy Dr. Oetker Ristorante Nazi fish wedges which granny used to cook for me.  Probably not PC enough for all them Vegans these days.  Shame.

Lordofthefiles

Twed

Quote from: Mrs Wogans lemon drizzle on September 09, 2019, 08:05:54 PM
When I was little I did used to enjoy Dr. Oetker Ristorante Nazi fish wedges which granny used to cook for me.  Probably not PC enough for all them Vegans these days.  Shame.
Well, Hitler was a vegetarian.

imitationleather

Quote from: Mrs Wogans lemon drizzle on September 09, 2019, 08:05:54 PM

I enjoyed your granny's Nazi fish wedge too.

Pseudopath

Quote from: imitationleather on September 09, 2019, 07:44:46 PM

ASDA sell the Peperami Firestick 5-pack as well as a similar multipack of the Peperami Hot. Although, to be honest, I could never really tell the difference between them in terms of spiciness.

Rich Uncle Skeleton

Quote from: Shit Good Nose on September 09, 2019, 02:17:04 PM
Choka Blok ice cream.  Basically a Tesco-own product made exclusively for them by a third party and priced mid-way between their own cheap and Finest ranges.  Again, possibly doesn't belong in the thread as it was genuinely good stuff with decent ingredients.

And god damn their super thick easter eggs were brilliant.

I still miss wonkalate!

Raspberry flavoured white chocolate with nerds in it, what more could you ask for.

Shit Good Nose

Quote from: Rich Uncle Skeleton on September 09, 2019, 08:25:35 PM
And god damn their super thick easter eggs were brilliant.

I was less keen on the choc bars (tasted like cheap/cooking chocolate to me), but admittedly I never had one of the easter eggs.

buzby

Quote from: imitationleather on September 09, 2019, 02:59:39 PM
They used to do a variant called Posh Noodle with far nicer noodles. Man, they were actually not horrible.
Posh Noodles were basically a licence-produced version of the original Nissin Cup Noodle (which Pot Noolde was copied from and 'anglicised' for the UK market, including changing the noodles). They were really nice, but ultimately short-lived. If you can get hold of proper east-Asian Cup Noodles (which come in a foam cup), they are a thing of wonder - they even have scrambled egg in them.

Quote from: Cuntbeaks on September 09, 2019, 05:21:31 PM
Unfortunately none of the present day offerings from Golden Wonder are worthy. If my memory serves me correctly they were rebranded/taken over in the late 80s and were miserable facsimiles thereafter.
Golden Wonder crisps ended up being sold off by Bridgepoint Capital to Longolf.Foods/The Snack Factory in 2002, and most of their brands like Wotsits, Wheat Crunchies, Nik Naks etc. were sold off to rivals Walkers and KP around the same time (as was Pot Noodle). The Snack Factory went bankrupt in 2006 and the Golden Wonder brand and a couple of their factories were bought by Tayto (Northern Ireland). The ex-Golden Wonder factory in Skelmersdale was sold to Walkers.

Mr Banlon

Rich Uncle Skeleton

Cadbury's Border Creme Eggs: like the normal ones but filled with alleged chocolate flavoured creme for a greater emetic effect.

Pseudopath

Burton's Piglets and Smith's Farmer Brown's were the crisps animal-shaped potato/cereal-based snacks of the gods.

These are the closest you can get to them nowadays, but they only come in shite German flavours:

Shit Good Nose

Crisp talk has reminded me of Jaws spicy tomato.  Always a tablespoon of flavour left at the bottom of the bag as well.  Nom.

Sebastian Cobb

Pataks used to do a right grubby mulligatawny soup in a tin.

hamfist

A cool, fruity can of delicious Quatro.

I remember thinking that this sophisticated beverage was the future. Better than Appletise. Fuck off Lilt, Quatro is here.

Pseudopath

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on September 09, 2019, 09:19:47 PM
Pataks used to do a right grubby mulligatawny soup in a tin.

Sorry to bring it back to crisps, but you've just reminded me of these: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QduTLFILORY

Although I suppose Walkers Sensations are keeping the flame alive.

Twed

Quote from: Pseudopath on September 09, 2019, 10:02:23 PM
Sorry to bring it back to crisps, but you've just reminded me of these: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QduTLFILORY
Yep, Poppadums were incredible. Really strong flavour, presumably cumin or something.

Lordofthefiles

Quote from: Twed on September 09, 2019, 10:04:20 PM
Yep, Poppadums were incredible. Really strong flavour, presumably cumin or something.

Dirty sods