Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 10:01:52 AM

Login with username, password and session length

shit food you can't get now

Started by madhair60, September 09, 2019, 12:07:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ferris

What were them styrofoam UFOs full of sour powdered sugar you see to get free with the Beano/Dandy(/Buster if you were hard up for pocket money)?

Sozzles or something. They were fuckin 'orrible.

Edit: Flying Saucers

QuoteThe first flying saucers were produced in the early 1950s when an Antwerp based producer of communion wafers, Belgica, faced a decline in demand for their product

gib

Pseudopath

Quote from: FerriswheelBueller on September 09, 2019, 10:12:38 PM
What were them styrofoam UFOs full of sour powdered sugar you see to get free with the Beano/Dandy(/Buster if you were hard up for pocket money)?

Flying Saucers?

You're right, though. They were grim as fuck.

Ferris

Quote from: Pseudopath on September 09, 2019, 10:14:00 PM
Flying Saucers?

That's the fuckers. Can still taste the cardboardy sugar. Eurghhhh

Twed

Shit Good Nose

Quote from: FerriswheelBueller on September 09, 2019, 10:12:38 PM

Sozzles or something. They were fuckin 'orrible.

Quote from: Pseudopath on September 09, 2019, 10:14:00 PM
Flying Saucers?

I liked them.  Always got them along with a few sheets of that edible paper made by the same company.

You can still get Flying Saucers in pretty much every sweet shop.

Ferris

Quote from: Shit Good Nose on September 09, 2019, 10:19:47 PM
I liked them.  Always got them along with a few sheets of that edible paper made by the same company.

You can still get Flying Saucers in pretty much every sweet shop.

Not in Canada you can't. Tragedy of the expat.

Oh, and that isn't just "edible paper"...

QuoteThe first flying saucers were produced in the early 1950s when an Antwerp based producer of communion wafers, Belgica, faced a decline in demand for their product

Pseudopath

Quote from: Shit Good Nose on September 09, 2019, 10:19:47 PM

Mmm...delicious rice paper. You are really spoiling me, Pater.

Desolation, mate.

Shit Good Nose

Quote from: FerriswheelBueller on September 09, 2019, 10:25:47 PM
Oh, and that isn't just "edible paper"...

The edible paper was a completely different texture - you're bang on with the styrofoam description for the saucers, but their edible paper was an altogether different beast.  It looked and had a texture similar to those dark rigid paper towels you got in school lavs in the 80s. 

Hang on...that's what I was paying for and eating, wasn't it!??!!??!?!  CURSE YOU STRACHAN(pronounced Strawn)'S OFFIE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

But the "baker's" rice paper you can get now just isn't the same (level of shitness).

Twed

Mr Banlon

Rich Uncle Skeleton

Shit Good Nose

Quote from: Twed on September 09, 2019, 10:34:15 PM
Suspicously an anagram of "an starch".

Good spot.

Doesn't work vocally, though, sadly.  Strawn.

Twed

That's how they got away with it for so long.

Jumblegraws

We had the green variety for tea once when I was about five and it was FUCKING DISGUSTING. Barf-a-rooni. Bogus.

Not impressed by the hate for Flying Saucers, which I'm pretty sure are still readily available anyway.

Twed

I might make a pesto sweetcorn pizza after seeing that green one. That sounds lush. Is that what it is?

Shit Good Nose

Quote from: Twed on September 09, 2019, 10:55:15 PM
I might make a pesto sweetcorn pizza after seeing that green one. That sounds lush. Is that what it is?

I don't remember the green one at all, but according to the thing it's apple.

Twed

FFS

It would be less upsetting if they were turtle.

Jumblegraws

Quote from: Shit Good Nose on September 09, 2019, 10:57:54 PM
I don't remember the green one at all, but according to the thing it's apple.
I had no idea until you pointed that out. I only remember the flavour as being horribly alien. Processed cheese mixed with synthetic apple flavour would probably do that, right enough.

I loved Tizer Chews as a kid - yet there doesn't even seem to be a record of them on the internet.  I'm not even sure if they were available nationwide, or whether they were kept exclusive to my pocket of NE England, along with the inability to make vowels sound different.

Ferris

Quote from: Shit Good Nose on September 09, 2019, 10:32:28 PM
The edible paper was a completely different texture - you're bang on with the styrofoam description for the saucers, but their edible paper was an altogether different beast.  It looked and had a texture similar to those dark rigid paper towels you got in school lavs in the 80s. 

Hang on...that's what I was paying for and eating, wasn't it!??!!??!?!  CURSE YOU STRACHAN(pronounced Strawn)'S OFFIE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

But the "baker's" rice paper you can get now just isn't the same (level of shitness).

Unwanted communion wafers, mate. They're made from unwanted communion wafers. That's why they're so fucking weird.

There used to be a frozen burrito here in the U.S. (the cheap kind that are 50% tortilla, not the mid-range overfilled kind) with a hot dog in the middle that would always get shriveled up and nearly crisp in the microwave.

Fucking delicious.

Mr Banlon

Twed

My lying bullshit step-brother told me that the American version of that "turned into real, solid bubblegum in your mouth and throat". Greasy twat (big dick though)

Twed

Honestly the biggest dick I've ever seen in person, fair play to him.

Twed

Bazooka

Quote from: poo on September 09, 2019, 12:20:29 PM

Would shag a goose to eat one of those now, absolute decadence, and calcium and iron.