Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 26, 2024, 12:54:04 AM

Login with username, password and session length

What factors initially entice you to watch a film?

Started by Brundle-Fly, September 09, 2019, 07:56:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brundle-Fly

Is it the lead actors? The director? From the people who brought you...etc?  How important is it to you to have your favourite names attached to a movie?

Or is it the trailer? The poster? The title? Stills? A brief synopsis of the story's themes? The fact it's a sequel to a film you loved? Superheroes? Special FX? Monsters? A car chase? Tits? Guns? Cute animals? A cameo by Bill Murray? Critics/ filmgoers high ratings (or low ratings depending on how you feel about said critic/ website). None of the above because you only watch foreign films that no one has heard about.

What puts you off or doesn't stoke any interest whatsoever? Repeat list above.

I do like passing an intriguing movie poster on the London underground, I must say. I like my horror, me, and the visuals/ titles don't really have to try to hard to sell it but it must be a nightmare for movies with no easy hook or title to hang their product on. How do you sell a movie called Non-Fiction? (which I've heard is very good). Aah, I forgot. Word of mouth?

Piggyoioi

an actor or actress i recognise on the poster, particularly if they are good looking or funny ha-ha fat.

Shit Good Nose

I'll honestly sit through any old clag going - I've seen far more Ray Dennis Steckler films than is necessary or healthy.

A more accurate answer is that director usually comes first - if it's Fincher or Malick for example, then I'll be there without knowing a single other thing about the film, and I'll keep being there even when I've been disappointed (Gone Girl and To the Wonder).  After that it's probably cast, then writer(s), then trailers.  Very very very rarely it'll be the influence of reviews.  Genre almost never a factor, although increasingly any superhero or Star Wars film puts me right off, but even then I'll almost certainly see them eventually.

Johnboy

the director, or the specific genre

I find it tricky because I hate knowing anything about a film's plot before I see it, ideally I would be put in a cinema blindfolded not knowing anything about it except that I'm going to like it

don't even like knowing what actors are in it until I see them or if they're in the opening credits if that's how they're presented,

was pissed off that I clocked the poster for the latest blade runner on the way in, up to that point I did not know that Harrison ford was in it and there aren't any opening credits, that would have blown my mind to see that unfold without warning

so - word of mouth, I think

Brundle-Fly

The auteur director is probably my main draw too. Used to be always at the time: Mel Brooks, Woody Allen, Scorcese, Coppola, Cronenberg, Carpenter, Landis, Gilliam, Raimi, Lee but god, they've made some clunkers over the past twenty-five years. I suppose in recent years it became, Tarantino, Alexander Payne, Terry Zwigoff, Shane Meadows, Guillermo, Gaspar Noe, etc.

Small Man Big Horse

The director or writer normally comes first for me, but after that it'll be either glowing reviews or a recommendation from a trusted source. Actors very, very rarely come in to it these days, and the only way a poster will attract me is if's covered in quotes from critics I trust.

Twit 2

madhair60

greenman

Quote from: Small Man Big Horse on September 09, 2019, 11:16:37 PM
The director or writer normally comes first for me, but after that it'll be either glowing reviews or a recommendation from a trusted source. Actors very, very rarely come in to it these days, and the only way a poster will attract me is if's covered in quotes from critics I trust.

Actors generally depends on matching up well with other factors that signify its going to be something that interests me.

Beyond such factors I spose I'v also come to understand the kind of cinema I preffer outside of well known mainstream releases, good looking atmospheric pieces, tasteful/subtle tragic personal drama and intelligent black comedy.

Jerzy Bondov

A review saying a film is unrealistic, doesn't make sense, isn't as clever as it thinks it is, has plot holes. Hell yes that's one for me, lock and load

Egyptian Feast

It's normally the premise or director that will attract me to a film, but I'm always intrigued by movies that get wildly mixed reviews from critics and moviegoers. Many of my favourite films have split audiences and received as many pans as raves from critics, so I'm always interested when everyone I speak to about a film proffers a different opinion. It doesn't always work (I was excited for Once Upon A Time...In Hollywood once I'd read a few 5 star reviews and scathing rants, but I wasn't too fussed about the film either way), but often leads me to interesting films I may not have checked out if they had blanket approval or disapproval.

checkoutgirl

If it's just downloading and watching a film at home all I have to do is hear someone mention a film with friends or on a podcast and it goes on the list. I download the list roughly once a month and the list seems to replenish itself. Sometimes the list is added to from a Wikipedia clickthrough session. Or I might be on a director jag so will work through a list of Woody Allen films or something. The Tingler has been on my desktop now for a few months and Bicycle Thieves has been on there for more like 4 years.

As for going to the cinema, I'll go because of hype (Avengers Endgame), or director (Coens, Tarantino, Scorcese etc) or a good chunk of the time I'll go to see a classic midnight movie like Rocky Horror or The Room. There's also a film club/night in Dublin called Hollywood Babylon that does silly late night films where everyone gets pissed, they're fun and a good alternative to a nightclub.

Occasionally I'll watch a film because my companion wants to watch Handbag Shopaholic or what have you. I rarely if ever watch a film because I just happen to be in a cinema and don't want to waste the journey. I just leave.

Icehaven

If it looks like I could still follow it while browsing the Internet.

a duncandisorderly

Sebastian Cobb

Director / Actors I like.

or

If it sounds interesting and has an alright review on RT or whatever. Sources for these include newsletter from the cinema and the twitterbot I made that says what film is leaving mubi, synopsis and metacritic/RT/IMDB scores if it has them.

Brundle-Fly

What immediately puts people off then?  It has to be any comedy that has a trailer that features a moment where the music suddenly stops for a withering aside or a pratfall out of frame or somebody slowly sliding down a pane of glass.

Inspector Norse

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: Brundle-Fly on September 10, 2019, 08:36:32 PM
What immediately puts people off then?  It has to be any comedy that has a trailer that features a moment where the music suddenly stops for a withering aside or a pratfall out of frame or somebody slowly sliding down a pane of glass.

Superheroes, zombies, vampires or a comedy starring people that were in parks and recreation.

Directors & screenwriters are the big draw for me - all filmmakers make duffers at some point, but it's a decent rule of thumb that if you've enjoyed their oeuvre previously then there's a good chance that their latest will appeal. The inverse of this is also a truism.

Actors don't really make much of a difference for me as even actors I don't enjoy watching generally can appear in decent movies - it does feel like there's a general level of competence, and the writing & direction is vastly more important; e.g. DiCaprio's general shoutiness is off-putting and I'm not convinced he's all that much cop as an actor - but if I want to see a Scorsese or Tarantino flick from the last decade or so the chances are I'll be watching him. 

DukeDeMondo

I've been thinking about this recently. The "what factors initially entice you to watch a film."

If we're talking new releases, my immediate response would be "the director and the reviews," which is sort of true, but not entirely. As others have said, there are certain directors whose films I will go out of my way to see, whatever they're about. Might be directors I love (Werner Herzog, Alexandre Aja, Martin Scorsese, Shane Carruth, whoever), might be directors I hate (Michael Haneke's films are a shower of absolute wankers, but I'll see anything he puts out), might be directors I have a sort of love / hate relationship with (Lars Von Trier, for example, or Gaspar Noe, or David Lynch), might be any sort of thing. They all make me feel. That's what matters. I know I'm going to be present when they're about. Feeling the fuck out stuff. That's why I'm drawn to them. I know these people will light me up one way or another. But then there are plenty films I'm wired for gawking at that have been directed by people I've never heard tell of and might never hear tell of again, so I dunno.

Probably the reviews are the most important thing for me. Critical reputation. Good reviews from trusted sources. And even sometimes sources I don't trust at all. I really dislike Peter Bradshaw, for example, I think he's an awful critic and has completely misunderstood and misrepresented countless pictures that I love, but I'll still use "Peter Bradshaw gave it five stars" as justification for herding folk out to see, I dunno, The Other Guys or something like this.

Let's see. The Nightingale. 2018. That's a film I'm really, really looking forward to. Partly it's because I really like the director. Jennifer Kent. I think she's fantastic. The Babadook. Divisive sort of a thing but I thought it was marvellous. But what shouldered The Nightingale into the "I'm seeing this fucking thing as soon as I can" corner of the room is the fact that it has received tremendous praise and it sounds to be a very difficult sort of picture altogether. Folk walking out of screenings for they can't bear to look at it. Overwhelming.

I suppose that's the most important thing for me. "You're going to fucking feel this." That's what I'm after. Mostly.

Puce Moment

Well, considering the films I am most looking forward to, it's usually back catalogue.

The Lighthouse, because The VVitch is great.
The Irishman, because, well, Scorsese and Pesci.
The Dead Don't Die, Jarmusch and that cast.

I read Sight & Sound fairly religiously every month, and take notes on films (old and new). Recently, I have working through Czech New Wave films. I don't like all of them but for me it is also an education and to ensure I fully understand the movement.

I am also working through films recommended by people I like on that Criterion Youtube channel when film folks pick DVDs to take away. There have been some great films I had never heard of.

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: Puce Moment on September 11, 2019, 03:01:50 PM
The Dead Don't Die, Jarmusch and that cast.

I was looking forward to that an enormous amount until the reviews started coming out, I've enormous amount of time for Jarmusch but because they've been of the "It's just so bland and average" variety it's been sitting on my hard drive for a couple of weeks now.

Puce Moment

Quote from: Small Man Big Horse on September 11, 2019, 03:41:46 PMI was looking forward to that an enormous amount until the reviews started coming out, I've enormous amount of time for Jarmusch but because they've been of the "It's just so bland and average" variety it's been sitting on my hard drive for a couple of weeks now.

I watched the first 10mins of it yesterday to make sure the file works ok on my TV, and it wet my appetite to a considerable degree. So far the tone is wonderful. As someone who does not really like Wes Anderson much it was especially nice to see Bill Murray in a film.

And I found the tone much more kooky David Lynch than anything I have seen of Jarmusch. That all might change after 10mins!

weekender

"Does it have decent ratings on Rotten Tomatoes?" is usually my first question.

Anything above 60% - either audience or critic - I am minded to consider. 

Director is probably my second choice, I'm always minded to watch someone like Scorsese and to a lesser extent Spielberg just because of their track records.  Noe is someone whose films provide something of interest and are seemingly trying to do something different, even if they don't always hit the mark as great films.

I'm also this immersed in the MCU at this point that I can't consider not watching the rest when they come out.

Anyway, an example of a film I would have never considered watching based on its premise, or the actors, or the directors or any of the people involved with it whatsoever, is 'Role Models' (77% critic, 74% audience).  I was expecting a stupid shit of a film (I was in the mood for a mindless comedy at the time) but was pleasantly surprised.  It's not a great film, it's fairly predictable, but it's pretty funny at times and has a warmth behind it that I wasn't expecting.

So yeah, it's pretty much the ratings on Rotten Tomatoes that do it for me, although I do take other things into account.

Quote from: DukeDeMondo on September 11, 2019, 02:35:14 PM
I really dislike Peter Bradshaw, for example, I think he's an awful critic and has completely misunderstood and misrepresented countless pictures that I love, but I'll still use "Peter Bradshaw gave it five stars" as justification for herding folk out to see, I dunno, The Other Guys or something like this.

Peter Bradshaw might well be an awful critic, but it's been a long time since I've read his reviews, given that they usually consist of a 500 word spoiler-y plot synopsis followed by ten words letting the reader know if he liked it or not.  I honestly don't know how the Grauniad still pays him for the shite he puts out.

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: Puce Moment on September 11, 2019, 04:41:30 PM
I watched the first 10mins of it yesterday to make sure the file works ok on my TV, and it wet my appetite to a considerable degree. So far the tone is wonderful. As someone who does not really like Wes Anderson much it was especially nice to see Bill Murray in a film.

And I found the tone much more kooky David Lynch than anything I have seen of Jarmusch. That all might change after 10mins!

Well I watched it last night due to your comments and it was better than I expected it to be, but still a bit frustrating. I know there's a thread about it somewhere so I'll have to dig it up and post more.

oy vey

Loads of things... a director I like, favourite genres, the Guardian gave it a shit review...