Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 23, 2024, 06:35:12 PM

Login with username, password and session length

You have never seen Jaws?!!!!!!

Started by Bazooka, September 10, 2019, 06:21:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bazooka

I know we have a cultural blind spot thread, but how have you not fucking seen Jaws?

BlodwynPig

Dex Sawash

Not seen
Jaws 1-infinity
Grease
Saturday Night Fever

Kelvin

One of my friends refuses to watch it. Keeps insisting it's just a dumb shark film, "How can it be good, it's just a shark."

Big Mclargehuge

my sisters partner had never seen Jaws until June this year when I took him down to the local Odeon for a film screening of it. Blew my mind on how good it looks projected on a massive screen. I have no idea what it did to him (Yes he jumped at the Ben Gardners boat scene) it was like watching a cat stare at an I-phone...I feel he didn't really comprehend quite what he was seeing (He's 19)

It's the best film I've ever seen in the cinema.

checkoutgirl

Quote from: Kelvin on September 10, 2019, 12:30:34 PM
One of my friends refuses to watch it. Keeps insisting it's just a dumb shark film, "How can it be good, it's just a shark."

Just a shark? Your friend is mental, sharks are terrifying. Machine like killers with black eyes and two rows of huge teeth.

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

Quote from: Big Mclargehuge on September 10, 2019, 12:31:13 PM
my sisters partner had never seen Jaws until June this year when I took him down to the local Odeon for a film screening of it. Blew my mind on how good it looks projected on a massive screen. I have no idea what it did to him (Yes he jumped at the Ben Gardners boat scene) it was like watching a cat stare at an I-phone...I feel he didn't really comprehend quite what he was seeing (He's 19)

I'm confused, did he like it or not? He's presumably seen a film before.

madhair60

Quote from: Kelvin on September 10, 2019, 12:30:34 PM

This was me for 30 years

now it's one of my favourite films ever

Jaws (shark film)

Bad Ambassador

Bad Ambassador

Films from the IMDb's top 100 I haven't seen (with Bollywood films omitted and the next films 100+ added in to compensate):

The Good, the Bad and the Ugly, Harakiri, Modern Times, The Intouchables, City Lights, Once Upon a Time in the West, Cinema Paradiso, Princess Mononoke, Witness for the Prosecution, Your Name., Braveheart, M, The Hunt, The Kid, For a Few Dollars More, A Separation, Ikiru and Incendies.

Films from the all-time US top 100 adjusted for inflation I haven't seen:

The Ten Commandments, Love Story, Cleopatra, The Robe, The Bells of St. Mary's, My Fair Lady, The Greatest Show on Earth, The Lion King (2019), The Best Years of Our Lives and Swiss Family Robinson.

Films from the all-time global top 100 I haven't seen:

The Lion King (2019), The Fate of the Furious, Aquaman, Aladdin (2019), Ice Age: Dawn of the Dinosaurs, Ice Age: Continental Drift, The Secret Life of Pets, Wolf Warrior 2, The Twilight Saga: Breaking Dawn Part 2 and Maleficent.

Some absences are easier to live with than others.

magval

Quote from: madhair60 on September 10, 2019, 01:25:43 PM
This was me for 30 years

now it's one of my favourite films ever

Jaws (shark film)

Same. I mean all three points, I even came in here to post the third.

Shit Good Nose

I find it staggering that there are people (more specifically grown adults) that haven't seen Jaws.

I mean, apart from its ubiquity on TV since the 80s, I've always thought and still think it's the most perfect film ever made - if aliens that had absolutely no concept of films or even basic storytelling landed and asked me "what the fuck is a film?", Jaws is what I would show them.

Having said that, Little Nose, who is 9, has said a few times she wants to see it, but both me and Mrs Nose think it's still a bit too grim at her age (but then I first saw it in 1986 when I was 7...).  Regardless of whether or not you think the shark looks rubbish (I actually don't), Quint's death is still horrible and harrowing.

bgmnts

I have never seen it, probably the only "you have never seen!?" classic films I have on my list. I was going to watch it in the cinema a month or so ago but I overslept.

kalowski

How can people not have seen Jaws? My son's seen it and he's 9.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: Shit Good Nose on September 10, 2019, 07:35:30 PM
I mean, apart from its ubiquity on TV since the 80s, I've always thought and still think it's the most perfect film ever made - if aliens that had absolutely no concept of films or even basic storytelling landed and asked me "what the fuck is a film?", Jaws is what I would show them.

I'd show them The Fly (1986), they wouldn't have a fucking clue would they?

Shit Good Nose

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on September 10, 2019, 07:48:15 PM
I'd show them The Fly (1986), they wouldn't have a fucking clue would they?

Although one of them would point at the screen, turn to one of the other aliens and say "looks a bit like you, Keith."

Goldentony

Jaws 2 and specially Jaws 3 are sound, Jaws 4 is terrible but i've seen it 100 times because as a kid I had a tape that went Jaws 4, Striptease and Royal Rumble 2000. You can't wank off to Jaws 4 but you can try.

mothman

Having said that, Little Nose, who is 9, has said a few times she wants to see it, but both me and Mrs Nose think it's still a bit too grim at her age (but then I first saw it in 1986 when I was 7...).  Regardless of whether or not you think the shark looks rubbish (I actually don't), Quint's death is still horrible and harrowing.

Teen Moth first watched it with us about 2-3 years ago, when she would have been 10 to 12, I think. She was fine with it. And has watched it by herself since, she loves it.

In fact, I asked her right now, she's just told me she watched it repeatedly while it was on Netflix, it's her favourite comfort film!

I leave it to the group to decide whether I've brought her up proper...

Shit Good Nose

Quote from: mothman on September 10, 2019, 09:20:18 PM
I leave it to the group to decide whether I've brought her up proper...

She'll be killing kittens and puppies next.  You monster.

kalowski

At least she'll know it was no boat accident.

I agree the everloving fuck out of this. If I was forced to single out any faults in Jaws they'd only be nitpicky little things that don't matter.* It really is, as you say, a perfect film.

* What would those faults be, Ballad? Oh alright then. That weird, jarring "And this is what happens" edit during the autopsy scene, which even Spielberg doesn't understand, Bruce flapping his gums when he mounts the Orca (I bet he did etc.) and... actually that's it.

Quote from: Goldentony on September 10, 2019, 08:18:29 PM
You can't wank off to Jaws 4 but you can try.

Jaws: The Revenge contains a few glimpses of ladies wearing skimpy swimsuits, doesn't it? That's decent wank fodder for a desperate teenage boy.

As for Jaws 3-D, I think it's the worst Jaws sequel by far. Jaws: The Revenge is an abysmal film, but at least it's quite entertaining in its utterly deranged way. Jaws 3-D is just boring.

Shit Good Nose

Quote from: Ballad of Ballard Berkley on September 10, 2019, 10:11:31 PM
That weird, jarring "And this is what happens" edit during the autopsy scene, which even Spielberg doesn't understand

A huge number of Americans swear that the scene was cut and it originally had extra dialogue and close-ups that were all trimmed by the time it made it to home video, and were then put back into the TV version that ABC aired in 1980.  The problem is the TV version ABC aired in 1980 was basically Jaws with some of the deleted scenes (most of them rightly deleted) that later appeared as extras on the laserdisc box set, special edition DVDs, and more recent blu rays (they were NEVER in the original theatrical cut of the film).  And there's not a hint of any extension of the autopsy scene.  Almost certainly a Mandela effect (or whatever the correct alternative is in this case).

Spielberg has said in the past that it was nothing more than the scene going on far too long, but both him and Verna Fields were struggling to find an acceptable place to cut and by then there was no option to do any pick-up shots (from memory, Dreyfuss had already had a shave and cut his hair for Victory At Entebbe), so they fudged the sequence (watch the fag in Brody's hand) and looped and/or ADRd some dialogue from elsewhere and made the best of a bad job.  Unfortunately they obviously couldn't predict the later home entertainment industry with the ability to repeat watch things over and over again.

kalowski

I'm heartened that so many on CaB think it's an all-time great. I know it's s blockbuster and it's Spielberg, but most people I talk to about it don't see it as a real classic, but it is.

Shit Good Nose

Quote from: kalowski on September 10, 2019, 10:40:25 PM
I'm heartened that so many on CaB think it's an all-time great. I know it's s blockbuster and it's Spielberg, but most people I talk to about it don't see it as a real classic, but it is.

Forget classic - it's a genuine masterpiece.

Quote from: Ballad of Ballard Berkley on September 10, 2019, 10:19:27 PM
As for Jaws 3-D, I think it's the worst Jaws sequel by far. Jaws: The Revenge is an abysmal film, but at least it's quite entertaining in its utterly deranged way. Jaws 3-D is just boring.

I dunno - I'd take 3 over 4 any day of the week.  On the plus side 3 has a properly genuinely amazing sound mix, I would argue the best of the lot (although it has to be heard from a proper surround system to be fully appreciated), Simon Maccorkindale's really quite eerie death, that utterly bizarre stop motion bit, and, of course, Shelby Overman.

"We are having DINNER here!!!"

Quote from: Shit Good Nose on September 10, 2019, 10:37:23 PM
A huge number of Americans swear that the scene was cut and it originally had extra dialogue and close-ups that were all trimmed by the time it made it to home video, and were then put back into the TV version that ABC aired in 1980.  The problem is the TV version ABC aired in 1980 was basically Jaws with some of the deleted scenes (most of them rightly deleted) that later appeared as extras on the laserdisc box set, special edition DVDs, and more recent blu rays.  And there's not a hint of any extension of the autopsy scene.  Almost certainly a Mandela effect (or whatever the correct alternative is in this case).

Spielberg has said in the past that it was nothing more than the scene going on far too long, but both him and Verna Fields were struggling to find an acceptable place to cut and by then there was no option to do any pick-up shots (from memory, Dreyfuss had already had a shave and cut his hair for Victory At Entebbe), so they fudged the sequence (watch the fag in Brody's hand) and looped and/or ADRd some dialogue from elsewhere and made the best of a bad job.  Unfortunately they obviously couldn't predict the later home entertainment industry with the ability to repeat watch things over and over again.

I remember being so excited when I bought the special edition DVD. Deleted scenes from my favourite film! And they're nothing, really. Curios. They do, however, confirm that Spielberg and Fields knew exactly what they were doing in the editing suite, the final cut doesn't contain an ounce of extraneous material.

Mind you, I'd love to see the aborted early footage of the Kintner attack. All we have are these storyboards and this alarming photograph.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MWglVLx5mp8