Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 05:22:26 PM

Login with username, password and session length

You have never seen Jaws?!!!!!!

Started by Bazooka, September 10, 2019, 06:21:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic
Quote from: Shit Good Nose on September 10, 2019, 07:35:30 PMHaving said that, Little Nose, who is 9, has said a few times she wants to see it, but both me and Mrs Nose think it's still a bit too grim at her age (but then I first saw it in 1986 when I was 7...).  Regardless of whether or not you think the shark looks rubbish (I actually don't), Quint's death is still horrible and harrowing.

I remember being alright with seemingly unsuitable movies when I was my son's age, but most of my movie watching as a kid was off the telly so everything was probably edited to buggery for swears, scares and bares* and certainly not the version I've gotten used to since and have available to show the boy.

I think I first saw Jaws on a Saturday teatime on BBC1 in the 90s so it must have been cut beyond recognition.

*Good name for a podcast about 15+ rated movies, that.

AsparagusTrevor

Quote from: Huxleys Babkins on September 12, 2019, 02:26:07 PM
Quote from: Shit Good Nose on September 10, 2019, 07:35:30 PMHaving said that, Little Nose, who is 9, has said a few times she wants to see it, but both me and Mrs Nose think it's still a bit too grim at her age (but then I first saw it in 1986 when I was 7...).  Regardless of whether or not you think the shark looks rubbish (I actually don't), Quint's death is still horrible and harrowing.

I remember being alright with seemingly unsuitable movies when I was my son's age, but most of my movie watching as a kid was off the telly so everything was probably edited to buggery for swears, scares and bares* and certainly not the version I've gotten used to since and have available to show the boy.

I think I first saw Jaws on a Saturday teatime on BBC1 in the 90s so it must have been cut beyond recognition.

It's gotta be the strongest PG rated films*, maybe pipped slightly by Raiders of the Lost Ark.

*The DVD/Bluray is 12-rated but only for swearing in one of the featurettes, the film itself is still PG

Shit Good Nose

Quote from: AsparagusTrevor on September 12, 2019, 02:36:15 PM

It's gotta be the strongest PG rated films*, maybe pipped slightly by Raiders of the Lost Ark.

*The DVD/Bluray is 12-rated but only for swearing in one of the featurettes, the film itself is still PG

Film itself was upped to 12/12A for its re-release in 2012.

*Good name for a podcast about 15+ rated movies, that.

It was on at 2100ish one weekend in the late 90s, and my regular haunt put it on the TV. A mate caught the Kintner attack out of the corner of his eye and thought it was the news :/

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

Presumably this airing? https://genome.ch.bbc.co.uk/f9e4e66eaebb43fdbe186494143089d5

As you say, what the fuck would Jaws look like in a heavily edited pre-watershed slot? They'd have to remove all the blood and dismembered limbs. The opening scene is harrowing, but the BBC presumably thought it was acceptable at 7pm as you don't actually see any gore. But what about the discovery of Chrissie's remains? The autopsy scene? The Kintner kid being devoured in a geyser of blood? BEN GARDNER'S HEAD. They must've cut the shot of blood gurgling from Quint's mouth, but in order for that scene to make any sense they would need to show him sliding and screaming into Bruce's mouth. Summer family fun on BBC One!

I'd love to see that edit, it must be bonkers.

mothman

That was the era of REALLY butchering films for TV broadcast. The funsters were out of control.

Goldentony

for a while i'd only seen 2 & 3 and that must be the date I finally saw the original. The thing is, I knew what I was in for because whenever we'd watch it my dad would tell me his story of seeing it on his own in a sold out cinema somewhere in Liverpool and how everybody absolutely fucking wrote their ballies off at yer mans bonce and secondly how a shark bites a man in fucking half. He'd tell me that in great horrifying ways all the fucking time an it made me shit scared of the swimming pool

PlanktonSideburns

Quote from: A Hat Like That on September 11, 2019, 01:43:16 PM
Also, best deleted scene ever

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wfX1MkMazwc

I love the idea of them filming it, then instantly going

What the fuck are we doing? This scene is shit! Lol

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

What we need here is a scene establishing Quint as a horrible, antisocial cunt who wanders around Amity Island taking the piss out of innocent children.

It's quite funny, but no wonder it ended up on the cutting room floor.

bgmnts

Yeah he looks like a fucking psycho.

Jockice

Uncle TechTip

Quote from: Ballad of Ballard Berkley on September 13, 2019, 12:33:21 AM
Presumably this airing? https://genome.ch.bbc.co.uk/f9e4e66eaebb43fdbe186494143089d5

As you say, what the fuck would Jaws look like in a heavily edited pre-watershed slot?

I think you might be surprised. Last thread I posted that I distinctly remember a showing on ITV in either 1981 or 1983, The head, the leg were both there. Only the slightest of cuts would be needed in other places - I think Brody picks up a hand in the autopsy scene? And the blood spurting during the attack on Alex. I watched a later showing repeatedly on vid and found these bits were different when I subsequently saw an uncut version.

The watershed was a late 80s/early 90s innovation and before then would be broadcast the kind of things that led to the watershed in the first place.

I found the 8/10/81 showing and it went out at 7:30pm.

Bobtoo

I don't know if I'm looking at the right list but I've seen 11 of the first 100 of these https://www.imdb.com/chart/top and 20 of the whole 250. I have seen Jaws, but I haven't seen Star Wars.