Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 09:20:26 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Titanic Rising by Weyes Blood - Album Of The Decade.

Started by Dusty Substance, September 10, 2019, 07:01:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Twit 2

Well put together, nice voice but utterly derivative. Heard it all before. I'd take any of the artists she's aping over her. Album of the century my fucking arse, mate.

Nothings coming up when I search for that, should I try without the comma?

Norton Canes

Some of the 70's-flecked stuff is very much like what Music Go Music were doing on their excellent 2009 LP Expressions 

studpuppet

Something tells me that after having read this thread, I'm going to listen to this and like the Green Day album more.

(I don't like Green Day.)

The Culture Bunker

I bought this on my lunch break today, and if I don't like it, I'm going to put my foot through my stereo - and send this forum the bill.

Dusty Substance

Quote from: Pearly-Dewdrops Drops on September 19, 2019, 01:19:45 AM
How can you be on the internet and not know Nardwuar? (and how can anyone not like Nardwuar?!)

The name is slightly familiar but I don't think I've ever come across him before. Now of course, because I've watched his interview with Weyes Blood several times, my YouTube algorithm is suggesting all his old videos.

I'm probably wrong with my instant dislike to him. His brand of day-glo, tie-dye hippy "wackiness" just isn't my cup of tea. It's too much of a cliche. There's always some annoying guy like him at music festivals. I'll most likely end up warming to him if I watch enough of his videos.

sevendaughters

he isn't a hippy! guy is garage rock, power pop, and punk since it first came to Vancouver!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JnzGF0wkeTc

Dusty Substance

Quote from: Twit 2 on September 19, 2019, 07:00:56 AM
Well put together, nice voice but utterly derivative. Heard it all before. I'd take any of the artists she's aping over her. Album of the century my fucking arse, mate.

LCD Soundsystem's Sound Of Silver, Scott Walker's The Drift and Kanye's Twisted Dark Fantasy are the only other contenders for my album of the 21st Century.

Quote from: sevendaughters on September 19, 2019, 03:08:03 PM
he isn't a hippy! guy is garage rock, power pop, and punk since it first came to Vancouver!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JnzGF0wkeTc

I'm happy to give him a chance.

checkoutgirl

Gave Movies another listen just there and blinkin' heck. Not sure I can handle that too often. It's almost too much.

Famous Mortimer

Ah bollocks, Weyes Blood played a small venue (maybe 200 capacity) within an easy walk of my house the other day and I forgot to go.

a duncandisorderly

Quote from: sevendaughters on September 19, 2019, 03:08:03 PM

vancouver, as in canada?

he's a hippy.

Dusty Substance

Turns out I was subconsciously aware of Nardwuar as Tom Scharpling has mentioned and done an impression of him on The Best Show.

I still think Titanic Rising is one of the best records I've ever heard. It moves me like no other album has managed. Natalie Mering is a genius.

Crabwalk

Nardwuar has even been a guest on the Best Show back in the WFMU days. I remember him asking Tom something like 'Does Jon still call into the show and do those characters?', which was a bit awkward. Tom's a huge fan though.

Dusty Substance

Quote from: alan nagsworth on September 11, 2019, 06:54:23 PM
She's been doing stuff with Tim Heidecker recently too which is hella fuckin cool.

I really enjoyed hearing her on his Office Hours podcast from earlier this year: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kFke7nNRQPM (from about 30 minutes)

She talks about her influences, the making of her then yet to be released album and even sings along to Judee Sill's Jesus Was A Crossmaker.

grassbath

Saw her in Manchester last night, it were fab.

Near the end of the first song ('A Lot's Gonna Change') it was momentarily extremely obvious that she was lip-syncing or doubling a pre-recorded track, which was a bit distracting for the next few songs because I was trying to work out if she actually was or if I was going completely mad. The drummer didn't appear to be wearing in-ear monitors which I would have thought necessary for such a trick, but the damage was done and I spent most of a banger like 'Everyday' intently watching her lips (oi, less of that).

Anyway she was such an imposing and charismatic performer, and the music was just so fucking good, that it didn't matter either way. She played the majority of Titanic Rising, and some older stuff which I largely wasn't as familiar with (although I enjoyed 'Do You Need My Love'), plus a blistering cover of 'Whiter Shade of Pale' ('this one's for the boomers. Where are you? I know you're here. This is from your time. Oh, those days of yore'). Had no idea that 'Picture Me Better' was about a friend who committed suicide, gonna hear that one very differently going forward.

PaulTMA

I saw her in Glasgow and got no hint of using a vocal track ;/

Dusty Substance

Saw her in London on Wednesday and it was, exactly as expected, the best gig of the year. She has a magnetic superstar quality and everyone was transfixed on her.

I'm not ashamed to say I cried my eyes out at every Titanic Rising song, especially Picture Me Better.

She said how the band had nearly not made it to the gig because the tour van was overloaded and she joked about having to get rid of the bodies. I'm 100% sure this wasn't a sick joke about the recent tragedy in Essex but because of that it was met with silence.

That wasn't the most cringe-worthy moment of the night though - That went to the guy at the end who shouted out "We love you Natasha". Luckily I don't think Natalie heard him get her name wrong.

Not sure what to make of these comments about her using a backing track. It sounded like a fully live performance but I'm no expert.

I still have Titanic Rising on constant loop. I must have listened to the record over 100 times since buying it in July and it  moves me like no other album. Not only do I stick my opinion about it being the best album* of the 21st century, it's in my all time Top 10, possibly Top 5 albums ever.

(* That I've heard)

riotinlagos

Quote from: Dusty Substance on November 01, 2019, 03:58:21 PM
Saw her in London on Wednesday and it was, exactly as expected, the best gig of the year. She has a magnetic superstar quality and everyone was transfixed on her.

I'm not ashamed to say I cried my eyes out at every Titanic Rising song, especially Picture Me Better.

She said how the band had nearly not made it to the gig because the tour van was overloaded and she joked about having to get rid of the bodies. I'm 100% sure this wasn't a sick joke about the recent tragedy in Essex but because of that it was met with silence.

That wasn't the most cringe-worthy moment of the night though - That went to the guy at the end who shouted out "We love you Natasha". Luckily I don't think Natalie heard him get her name wrong.

Not sure what to make of these comments about her using a backing track. It sounded like a fully live performance but I'm no expert.

I still have Titanic Rising on constant loop. I must have listened to the record over 100 times since buying it in July and it  moves me like no other album. Not only do I stick my opinion about it being the best album* of the 21st century, it's in my all time Top 10, possibly Top 5 albums ever.

(* That I've heard)

I was at this gig and the solo show at Rough Trade last Friday and both were great. I didn't even make the connection with the lorry tragedy but I'm a bit slow me. I wasn't really close enough to spot any lip-sync shenanigans but obviously there wasn't any of that at the solo show and her singing was flawless there.

Surprised to spot Jason Mantzoukas there on the way out.

Dusty Substance

Quote from: riotinlagos on November 01, 2019, 06:32:17 PM
Surprised to spot Jason Mantzoukas there on the way out.

Blimey, nice spot. It did occur to me on my way to the gig that I might spy some celebs, given how well the album has been received and what a special show it was going to be, but the second she arrived on stage I was too into the performance to look around at others.

lankyguy95

This album makes a day more manageable. Fucking gorgeous.

Dusty Substance

Quote from: lankyguy95 on November 18, 2019, 06:45:36 PM
This album makes a day more manageable. Fucking gorgeous.

Doesn't it just. The album may make me cry into my beans on toast on a near daily basis but it also makes the world a little bit better.

This is an immediate classic. Wow. I wish it were a bit weirder maybe but it's spectacular. Looking forward to soaking up these songs and sinking into them.

selectivememory

This one has really grown on me in the last month or so. I do think it tails off a bit towards the end, but from the start all the way up to and including "Movies" it's pretty much perfect, and "Picture Me Better" is great as well.

Not album of the decade though. But probably in the top three this year for me. 

The Culture Bunker

I've listened through maybe four or five times, and it hasn't really sunk in on any great level to the degree I can remember any of the songs. Willing to give it another listen in a few months to see if it clicks but impression so far isn't that great.

Dusty Substance

She returns to London in June, this time at O2 Shepherds Bush Empire. I just got my ticket, I strongly advise everyone catches her this time around. She's a magical performer.

PaulTMA

Quote from: selectivememory on November 27, 2019, 11:40:08 PM
This one has really grown on me in the last month or so. I do think it tails off a bit towards the end, but from the start all the way up to and including "Movies" it's pretty much perfect, and "Picture Me Better" is great as well.

Not album of the decade though. But probably in the top three this year for me.

Even 'Wild Time'?!!!!!!1

Rich Uncle Skeleton

Quote from: Dusty Substance on January 23, 2020, 06:38:36 PM

She returns to London in June, this time at O2 Shepherds Bush Empire. I just got my ticket, I strongly advise everyone catches her this time around. She's a magical performer.

Thanks a lot for the heads up this would have completely passed me by, just got a ticket.

Also has anyone heard/got whatever's on that "titanic risen" bonus disc from the Japanese version? Can't find a trace of it anywhere

lankyguy95

Got my ticket.

Really looking forward to hearing this album in a live context.

Dusty Substance

Quote from: Rich Uncle Skeleton on January 24, 2020, 10:02:26 AM
Thanks a lot for the heads up this would have completely passed me by, just got a ticket.

Also has anyone heard/got whatever's on that "titanic risen" bonus disc from the Japanese version? Can't find a trace of it anywhere

Here's a link to the elusive Titanic Risen.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1_kyGZJGRCS7LbqECRjaHiNKUJH8qfFmC/view?fbclid=IwAR3Q8g_vM2lA4Vlavk8bNHZb0NrQCAJk0UIbMngSMd35GLi8IItCxyGwhSw