Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 06:33:46 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Titanic Rising by Weyes Blood - Album Of The Decade.

Started by Dusty Substance, September 10, 2019, 07:01:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rich Uncle Skeleton

Quote from: Dusty Substance on January 25, 2020, 10:00:55 PM
Here's a link to the elusive Titanic Risen.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1_kyGZJGRCS7LbqECRjaHiNKUJH8qfFmC/view?fbclid=IwAR3Q8g_vM2lA4Vlavk8bNHZb0NrQCAJk0UIbMngSMd35GLi8IItCxyGwhSw

Well you're just making my week aren't you, cheers

Didn't realise (barring festivals presumably) that'll be the only UK show , glad I didn't wait

Dusty Substance

Quote from: Rich Uncle Skeleton on January 26, 2020, 02:51:08 PM
Well you're just making my week aren't you, cheers

Didn't realise (barring festivals presumably) that'll be the only UK show , glad I didn't wait

You're welcome! Weyes-heads help out other Weyes-heads.

Egyptian Feast

Has anyone revisited this in the last few weeks and been struck by some of the lyrics in unexpected new ways? 'A Lot's Gonna Change' had me shivering just now. Too much fucking perspective.

Rich Uncle Skeleton

QuoteDear MR RICH UNCLE SKELETON

Due to the current Covid-19 pandemic we regret to inform you that WEYES BLOOD
at O2 Shepherds Bush Empire, London on 10/06/2020 is cancelled and will not be rescheduled.

Well it obviously wasn't going ahead next month but bummer about the lack of rescheduling, makes sense for now I guess.

Retinend

Just chiming in to say I'm totally on the bandwagon. Incredible album. I got another one of hers, "The Innocents" from 2014 which was a bit meh in comparison. I'm hungry for more like Titanic Rising - is there much in her back catalogue to rival it?

alan nagsworth

Been listening to this again lately as it happens, it's bloody enchanting. I watched her most recent KEXP this week, and it is brilliant as you might expect. The interviewer asks questions in the most twee Buzzfeedy sort of fashion which WB manages to both answer politely and thoroughly whilst also subtly mocking her attitude. She's really fucking cool.

https://youtu.be/N2xW563bb-4

At least there's a new music video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kjfpNOwMpeM

QuoteGood day everyone,

Here is a video for my song "Wild Time" that was shot on 16mm pre-Pandemic, then edited together during isolation. Felt like the right time to let this video out into the world, seeing as we're all getting saddled down by some pretty grim realities. This song is about yearning for wildness and Mother Nature in a time of chaos. It's for sensitive people who worry about the fate of humanity and feel powerless to do anything about it.

I've spent a lot of time thinking apocalyptic thoughts and realizing that won't get you anywhere. What if the world has always been ending? What if the sprawl of our cities are just as wild as the forests? What if climate change and the destruction of our natural habitat is a reflection of the nature within us, however sublimely horrifying and hard to understand? We're animals, we play out a very precarious drama of life, and we grasp for what's left of the protective womb - but maybe the notion that we're somehow separated from her is an illusion. Maybe it is, truly, a wild time to be alive. Maybe getting in touch with that as a culture and society would avert the worst case scenarios of ecological crisis and existential dread.

If you've gotten this far, wow, thank you for actually taking the time to read this. In other news, as you may have assumed, I am canceling all of my headline shows for 2020, but I'm beginning to work on my next album that will come out in 2021- a different time, when hopefully we can see each other face to face once again.

xo

Natalie (aka Weyes Blood)

Retinend

lankyguy95

Quote from: Retinend on May 28, 2020, 06:32:31 AM
Translated "I get naked in it but it is art"
I'm ashamed to say that this post persuaded me to watch the video more than hers did.

Retinend

That's not shame you're feeling, it's a yearning for wildness and Mother Nature in a time of chaos.

Dusty Substance

Quote from: Retinend on May 27, 2020, 06:13:14 PM
Just chiming in to say I'm totally on the bandwagon. Incredible album. I got another one of hers, "The Innocents" from 2014 which was a bit meh in comparison. I'm hungry for more like Titanic Rising - is there much in her back catalogue to rival it?

Unfortunately, there's nothing anywhere close to Titanic Rising. There's some lovely stuff on Front Row Seat To Earth but it, along with all her pre-2019 stuff, just feels like a build up to her magnum opus.

Make sure you check out the Rough Trade Session E.P from last year. Re-recorded session versions of three tracks from TR.

lankyguy95

Quote from: Retinend on May 28, 2020, 11:02:26 AM
That's not shame you're feeling, it's a yearning for wildness and Mother Nature in a time of chaos.
I'm locking down that excuse in future.

ArtParrott

Quote from: Retinend on May 27, 2020, 06:13:14 PM

Front Row Seat... is great imo. She also features quite prominently on Michael Collins two Drugdealer records.

Dusty Substance

Quote from: Rich Uncle Skeleton on May 27, 2020, 03:52:33 PM
Well it obviously wasn't going ahead next month but bummer about the lack of rescheduling, makes sense for now I guess.

Just wondering if you or anyone here has received a refund yet? I've chased promoters a couple of times but have had no response.

Rich Uncle Skeleton

Oh shit I was going to post about that in case anyone else hadn't got theirs. Three days ago I tried them a fourth time and finally got an automated email saying you'll be refunded when you send the ticket back(?! pretty sure the cancellation email never mentioned that) posted the ticket Wednesday got a refund first thing Friday morning.

Rich Uncle Skeleton

Don't know if you can just post a ticket with a note of your name and reference number or whether you HAVE to have had an email back from you (whenever they feel like sending you one) that you can post with it??

But if you want to risk it without an email there's the address.

Dusty Substance

Cheers, RUS, but it looks as if my second email got through to them as I received a reply and refund at the weekend but it didn't show up in my account until Monday.

I might just use the refund momey to get Front Row Seat To Earth on vinyl or some other Weyes merch.

Rich Uncle Skeleton

Haha yes I got (presumably) the same email as you saying they'd invalidated the ticket barcodes so no need to post it back...days after I'd done just that..
Why the fuck didn't they just invalidate them as they were cancelling the gig...sent some arsey email to them for making me waste time and money sending it recorded but I doubt that 2 quids coming back

Dusty Substance

EASILY the best song on Tim Heidecker's new album: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bvDssCCJT5c.

Makes a perfect companion song to Something To Believe from Titanic Rising.

Dusty Substance

Quote from: lankyguy95 on October 06, 2020, 07:16:58 PM
That could totally be on Titanic Rising.

Which makes me even more bombastically excited for her next record.

spaghetamine

anyone heard her brother Zak's music? dude is super prolific and has put out a pretty eclectic mix of stuff under a bunch of aliases with various collaborators

Raw Thrills - Tomorrow

The Sweethearts - Burnin' Thru the Night

Philippians - Understand Inc.

Greatest Hits - Drama Free

The Mollusk

Quote from: Dusty Substance on October 06, 2020, 07:05:16 PM
EASILY the best song on Tim Heidecker's new album: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bvDssCCJT5c.

Makes a perfect companion song to Something To Believe from Titanic Rising.

Bumping this because it's fucking gorgeous.

badaids

I've just got round to getting this.  I purposely waited after all the praise on here.  But I have to say it's pretty fucking special.  It'll take a while to sink in but it's so rich and sumptuous it'll only get better which each listen.

willbo

haven't listened to her music properly yet, but amazon keeps recommending it to me because I like Angel Olsen.

lankyguy95

On the off chance that you haven't heard this, Dusty - a lovely collaboration she's done with Zella Day called Holocene. Cool, kinda creepy, old film vibe with the video too.

https://youtu.be/Ej9LVBnvBsw