Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 11:56:23 PM

Login with username, password and session length

TRUMP No. 9: A weird fucking bumble hex

Started by Pearly-Dewdrops Drops, September 11, 2019, 05:30:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

An tSaoi

Quote from: idunnosomename on December 18, 2019, 11:40:35 PM
he woke up at 2am every morning to fly a kite in a thunderstorm as far as I understand

madlad

Urinal Cake

Well, Doctor, what have we got—a Republic or a Monarchy?"
"A Republic, if you can keep it."
Response attributed to Benjamin Franklin at the close of the Constitutional Convention of 1787, when queried as he left Independence Hall on the final day of deliberation, in the notes of Dr. James McHenry, one of Maryland's delegates to the Convention. McHenry's notes were first published in The American Historical Review, vol. 11 (1906), and the anecdote on p. 618 reads: "A lady asked Dr. Franklin Well Doctor what have we got a republic or a monarchy. A republic replied the Doctor if you can keep it."

Of course people forget the context and the full quote- so trying to act Trump is a king for a term  is great.

NoSleep

Quote from: An tSaoi on December 18, 2019, 11:10:32 PM
"We're a republic, not a democracy".

Where do American get this rubbish? It's not the first time I've heard it.

Probably started around the time we began every decade or so handing unaccountable dictatorial executive powers to Republican presidents who a minority of voters wanted to be president.

An tSaoi

Quote from: Pearly-Dewdrops Drops on December 18, 2019, 11:58:09 PM
Probably started around the time we began every decade or so handing unaccountable dictatorial executive powers to Republican presidents who a minority of voters wanted to be president.

It would make sense of it the phrase was being used in a satirical way, but I hear it a lot from proud Americans who believe the system works and that it isn't a democracy.

Ooh we've got a four minute yield.

Kryton

Captain Z

YES IT'S AN IMPEACHER.

And nothing will happen.

Mister Six

Quote from: FerriswheelBueller on December 17, 2019, 09:13:53 PM
Impeached by the (Democratic majority) House, but acquitted by the (Republican majority) Senate. As was obvious from the get go, the whole thing is a mental waste of time.

It does mean that he cannot be pardoned by any subsequent presidents, though, which is good because he's liable to be prosecuted to fuck once he's out of power. Obviously it would be nice if these productions had come years ago but he hadn't pissed off the wrong people back then. Fuck it, I'll take the schadenfreude.

FAKE EDIT: Ah! There we go, just got the alert about impeachment going through.

Ferris

Ooh it's all happening!

By which I mean nothing will happen.

Mister Six

(I do think it's worth impeaching even without a conviction, partly to fuck him around and put independents off him ahead of the election, partly to make sure that the Republicans are forced to be seen letting the fucker off the hook, but mostly because it's actually important to make efforts to appropriately prosecute infractions where they occur. That the corrupt legal/judicial/political system doesn't do this in most other cases is no reason for it not to happen here.)

Quote from: Mister Six on December 19, 2019, 01:37:53 AM
(I do think it's worth impeaching even without a conviction, partly to fuck him around and put independents off him ahead of the election, partly to make sure that the Republicans are forced to be seen letting the fucker off the hook, but mostly because it's actually important to make efforts to appropriately prosecute infractions where they occur. That the corrupt legal/judicial/political system doesn't do this in most other cases is no reason for it not to happen here.)

If I had to place a wager, I would guess that it is going to do the opposite. It's going to make people more sympathetic to him for being "bullied." (Yes, American politics really is that idiotic.)

The Dems were backed into a corner to do this because they had spent the previous 3+ years harping on about how Trump was an existential threat to the country and a Russian agent, etc.

Ferris

Quote from: Pearly-Dewdrops Drops on December 19, 2019, 01:54:15 AM
If I had to place a wager, I would guess that it is going to do the opposite. It's going to make people more sympathetic to him for being "bullied." (Yes, American politics really is that idiotic.)

Agree with this (though with Johnson's majority I don't think Brits can look down their noses at the state of US politics any more - banter Boris with his mad hair is in charge ffs).

Cerys

Impeached.  Similar to unapricoted and disnectarined.  Although Trump hasn't been the second two.  Yet.

Ferris

If only there was non-trumpy tabloid. We'd get a load of "The Orange Impeached" headlines.

colacentral

Quote from: Pearly-Dewdrops Drops on December 19, 2019, 01:54:15 AM

The Dems were backed into a corner to do this because they had spent the previous 3+ years harping on about how Trump was an existential threat to the country and a Russian agent, etc.

I feel like this will be viewed the same as the People's Vote here - an attempt to subvert democracy.

Zero Gravitas

Quote from: FerriswheelBueller on December 19, 2019, 01:57:58 AM
...I don't think Brits can look down their noses at the state of US politics any more - banter Boris with his mad hair is in charge ffs).

Our only hope for the restoration of our national pride:

evilcommiedictator

QuoteSo he's just gonna keep being President

VOT IS POINT IMPEACHMENT

Impeachment is a show-trial, it is a chance to have everything out in the open, get people and officials to tell the story when all the cameras are on - one way to get through stuff like the Faux News filter. The outcome is known, sure, he'll never be replaced by Pence, but now it all gets aired in public

Ferris

It's good politics to keep it out the senate. Democrats making a smart, politically calculated, unexpected move? Truly it is the end times.

Barry Admin

Dewt

Quote[Pelosi, who has been eager to set a somber tone and not be seen celebrating the impeachment process, immediately turned to Democrats on her right and urged them to stop.
Wow, there are Democrats to the right of Pelosi?

Ferris

Heyoooo!

(Though I did actually think that was funny)

Urinal Cake

Quote from: Barry Admin on December 19, 2019, 03:02:30 AM
Fascinating moment https://www.buzzfeednews.com/article/davidmack/trump-impeachment-nancy-pelosi-reaction-democrats-applaud

She had the right idea, I think.

What about Tulsi Gabbard voting "present"?
Tulsi is already treated like a traitor so this is just insurance in case impeachment blows up in Dems face. Plus this will help with independents and any media career down the track.

Barry Admin

:-D nice!

Can't wait to see the tweets tomorrow, and is the rally he's at being broadcast, I wonder. He posted this before heading off to it:

Quote from: TRUMP!!!!SUCH ATROCIOUS LIES BY THE RADICAL LEFT, DO NOTHING DEMOCRATS. THIS IS AN ASSAULT ON AMERICA, AND AN ASSAULT ON THE REPUBLICAN PARTY!!!!

Even though this is 100% going to get Trump reelected, the silver lining is that Trump is so brain damaged that he will genuinely be enraged by this. So at least there's that.

Dewt

Yeah this is so underwhelming it's just going to lionize him. So far it has just felt like an excuse for Republicans to give speeches that make Trump sound like Jesus.

Mobius

Urinal Cake

Quote from: Mobius on December 19, 2019, 04:22:32 AM
I like the bit where he said a recently dead politician was looking up at his wife from hell - https://twitter.com/atrupar/status/1207485852013625345?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

context - https://www.vox.com/2019/12/18/21029287/trump-impeachment-battle-creek-michigan-rally
Probably the first time in his life where he can't come back from humiliation. The practical hope is that he eventually goes too crazy for the public. But I would be satisfied seeing Trump taking his anger out on the Republicans again like in the primary.